Lunches + Flats...Longwood Sat. 9/4

John_Johnny

Long Timer
Ok but what do you call people who ride both dirt and bitumen?

Edit, Just noticed previous post. Paul beat me to it. :bigrofl:

Last edited:

Hytram

<-- now went that way
my whole 4 photos for the day...

LW1.jpg

LW2.jpg

LW3.jpg

LW4.jpg

nev

Super Térrarist
When I bought my Terra, I bought a spare tube and put it in the tankbag. And I bought some tyre levers and a whatever else I thought I might need, and one day in my garage, using these tools, I removed the front wheel, and took took the tyre off the bead, and put it back on, then did the same with the rear wheel, and then I was confident that in the case of a puncture, even if I didn't have the knowledge, I at least had the tools on hand that could get the job done to replace the tube.

After Ants puncture on the weekend, I decided I should revisit my toolroll to ensure its all there, and I rummaged through the tailbag and found... umm.. what tool roll. So I start looking through the garage, and I find it soon enough.. under some other stuff... I must have taken it out at some stage, and not put it back. Judging from the stuff that was on top of it, I'm guessing it's been over a year. LOL Oh well.. it's back where it belongs now. Hope I never need to use it.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
..... and I rummaged through the tailbag and found... umm.. what tool roll. So I start looking through the garage....

Marty's pics got me going, too. Went to BikeMart and splurged on a full set of tube+tubeless repair kit,, extra this and that, patches, glue and squares of rough 24 grit sandpaper.

Goodie's got a set of spare tubes tucked along the stiffener-pockets of the Gearsack, both of them verified "rubber"-types, to make sure they are patch- able in the event of a flat-after-a-flat.....shit DOES happen!!
Various rope+mushroom plugs, CO2 canisters and reamers...maybe it was good that the old kit somehow vanished in the turmoil of the NZ-trip.

And while I firmly believe in " always finding something to do the job"....I'll get a 2. one of those jiggers to have at hand if/ when the time comes:

http://www.endurostar.com/

8.jpg

Some bikes don't take too kindly to be supported by their header-pipes on a rock, termite-hill or lump of wood, so something like the enduro-stand is an easy and proven solution. (I use ours everytime changing hoops + lubing chains...on ALL bikes).
One of the most useful "home+trail-workshop items" ever. And proven on anything from an FJ13 to a DLK....and anything else in between, bigger or smaller.

That's if you're running short of a rock from the side-of-the-road under the KLR in the Oregon backwoods...

US2011_0018.jpg

....or a fence post over some scrap lump of timber near Mono Lake... California/ Nevada border.

US2011_0606.jpg

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Found a couple more photos on my phone.
Tight sqeeze at Col's place as he tries to fit his beemer with panniers past the trailer.
Note, Col's headlight on. No switch was allowed at the time this model was sold. See the yellow headlight switch on mine? Had to import it from Germany. Cost $500!!! The colour coding is cool. Red for killswitch, green for starter, yellow for headlight, orange for blinker.

Lunch at Longwood. Eivind with his new beaut Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Great phone!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
We carry one of these bad boys...
...running radial tyres (thankfully) on rim repairs are generally easy .

Just running tubeless tyres makes things easy (radials or crossplies)...or impossible, depending how the chips fall. I.e. can't patch a sidewall-tear with a handful of grass/ hay/tool -pouch or such, as can be done with a tubed hoop.

I also like to use the CO2 to quickly seat the hoop....like we couldn't get the tyre to seat properly on Saturday despite 40+psi showing on the little pump.

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
I took a bunch of photos of the Bugatti's parked opposite the pub

IMG_20160409_133200.jpg

IMG_20160409_133233.jpg

IMG_20160409_133245.jpg

IMG_20160409_133304.jpg

IMG_20160409_133313.jpg

:gluI,ll take these 2 please! #32 for Mt Beauty and the Mansfield-Whitfield Road :drool:
-though the cable operated brakes might need some respect!! :eek:
And the Alloy bodied Boat tail for Sunday picnics with Croissants,and Baguettes with cheeses and ham :D

Thanks for sharing Nev :clap:

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
Just running tubeless tyres makes things easy (radials or crossplies)...or impossible, depending how the chips fall. I.e. can't patch a sidewall-tear with a handful of grass/ hay/tool -pouch or such, as can be done with a tubed hoop.

I also like to use the CO2 to quickly seat the hoop....like we couldn't get the tyre to seat properly on Saturday despite 40+psi showing on the little pump.

Can you still get vulcanising patches? I remember little tins and you lit the back of them to adhere the patch, would they work on a tubeless?
I have heard of stuffing cuts in tubless tyres with multiple "rope" plugs, though never had to try it (thank god!!)
I also had no idea you could get tubeless crossplies!
new slogan- AusTouring- "The Learning Forum" ;)
:chug:Paul

Top Bottom