Woods point road in the snow.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
hey Tim,
Im heading up the same route on Sunday the 27th. Only less than a week away but another klr rider is coming too.
Going to come back through snobs creek to cut out the boring stuff.
More than welcome to come, meeting at the beechworth bakery in healsville at 9am.....should be back by 3pm.

Rain hail snow or shine ........im going.
Ripper ride.

Cheers

Stookie

Hi mate

Thanks for the write-up and pics, an enjoyable read for sure.
There just is something special about bikes-in-snow and your shots pulled that trigger perfectly :thumbs:

There4 are a few "shortcuts"....well...more interesting stuff anyway, for the 2.half of that loop.
All up, it'd be pretty much the same time-requirement....just a lot less boring than the highway-drone.

Turn left about 1km out of Jamieson (off the Jamieson-Mansfield Rd.) and cut around the bottom of Lake Eildon via the Eildon-Jamieson Rd., which also has 14k's dirt in the guts of it....the rest is one sweet corner-waltz up and down the hills.

If you don't take that, go to Mansfield, Hwy to Bonnie Doon....just before Bonnie and immediately after crossing the bridge, turn left to Peppin Point, follow the twisties for about 10-12k's till you hit a 4-way intersection at the bottom of a small hill, the tar runs straight ahead, take a right up Maintongoon Rd. The dirt climbs the hillside, then turns to tar again up on the ridge (total dirt ~15k's). The road becomes Skyline Rd.
Either turn off towards Alex or keep going into Eildon, then across to Thornton, then up the Hwy back to Narby.

Both choices beat the hwy hands down

nev

Super Térrarist
hey Tim,
Im heading up the same route on Sunday the 27th. Only less than a week away but another klr rider is coming too.
Going to come back through snobs creek to cut out the boring stuff.
More than welcome to come, meeting at the beechworth bakery in healsville at 9am.....should be back by 3pm.

Just where you get to the sealed section of the Jamieson-snobs creek Road there's a turnoff to the right which is the Big River Road, 50km of dirt which takes you back to Cumberland junction. the middle section is a bit challenging on a bike like the Ulysses with a relatively inexperienced rider, but on something like a KLR with a rider with a few KM under the belt probably a nice alternative to the bitumen back to Narbethong.. although, having said that, it's a relatively slow 50km so you probably wouldn't want to head down there unless you had a good couple of hours of daylight left.

STOOKIE

I like it dirty
Thanks Glitch and Nev, I would certainly be interested in attacking those roads for sure.
One of my biggest worries after doing it alone was; in the case of an emergency....flat tire ( I carry spare tubes and tools) . The time and effort to change it on your own without stands to prop the bike on, coming off and damaging something you simply cant fix by the road, and getting lost.
I enjoy the adventure, but the reality of problems became apparent after the last trip.
I guess you can always take it easy, but some things are unavoidable no matter the speed.
Im a bit more confident with another rider tagging along, but often people dont have the same amount of riding time available as me, or the road doesnt suit, or the bike doesnt suit.
Im lucky the wife rides and she knows how much I look forward to these rides on the weekend.
It be better once we organise her another bike, but it aint gonna be soon unfortunatley. Shame really.

Anyway thanks for the directions, Im sure I wont get lost but Im in upside down land and my bearings are often all over the shop.

Cheers:cool:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Thanks Glitch and Nev, I would certainly be interested in attacking those roads for sure.
One of my biggest worries after doing it alone was; in the case of an emergency....flat tire ( I carry spare tubes and tools) . The time and effort to change it on your own without stands to prop the bike on, coming off and damaging something you simply cant fix by the road, and getting lost.
I enjoy the adventure, but the reality of problems became apparent after the last trip.
I guess you can always take it easy, but some things are unavoidable no matter the speed.
Im a bit more confident with another rider tagging along, but often people dont have the same amount of riding time available as me, or the road doesnt suit, or the bike doesnt suit.

.....Im sure I wont get lost but Im in upside down land and my bearings are often all over the shop.

Cheers:cool:

Your bearings are just fine mate :so

Hear what you say...but using tubed tyres, you can also use the standard car-goo stuff as it won't mess up your rim and tyre-carcass.
The stuff's pretty good for tubes, at worst the tube needs to be replacved later at ~15-20 bux....but for the time being you're mobile again, QUICKLY.
(at least in most cases).

I've only ever peeled off the rear hoop of the Peg by hand....and what a prick of a job that was....the bike had a ctr. stand and it still took over an hour to be mobile again.
Apart from being soaked in sweat and filthy top-to-bottom.

You're right... it's better, safer and more fun, if someone else comes along.

Still....the roads/ tracks I mentioned are regular connecting roads for the locals, there's more than a good chance that someone comes along to lent a hand or help otherwise.

Different to the track Nev mentioned, which is mainly used by weekend-4WD's/ Rangers, as it's not a connecting backroad with settlements along the way.

nev

Super Térrarist
Different to the track Nev mentioned, which is mainly used by weekend-4WD's/ Rangers, as it's not a connecting backroad with settlements along the way.

Yeah I wouldn't be doing that road again by myself. I went about 40km through the rural end of it without seeing anyone at the end of the day, but on the other hand, it was a day before a long weekend, and I had all my camping gear, and some food.

STOOKIE

I like it dirty
Thanks guys,
Tim is going to be joining me tomorrow for the woods point rod ride.
not liking the forecast too much at the moment.
Will head up and see how it goes......fingers crossed. i been looking forward to this all week.

Cheers

Top Bottom