Los Angeles or dust - we chose Harleys!

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
Where to ride around LA if you have 3 days left before heading home?

A lot of dust is possible east of LA, but unlike in Berlin http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6621 we chose a Harley Tour.:bs
Harley Davidson? No I never will ride one! But when you are in California and you have to drive on blacktop - then it is time to break the rule. W-)

Thanks to Bernd and Mark I will use their pics as well in this RR.

After we had our duty done, we spent the afternoon before the ride in Anaheim.
Goofy's haute cuisine nearly caused a stomach upset.

1wSdxHW.jpg

caalqXU.jpg

The Anaheim Ducks were playing against Chicago, so off we went.
3d26KA9.jpg

The next morning we were the first who entered the branch of Eaglerider. They rent everything from HD to Yamaha.
2npUz6s.jpg

Who wants to take the ride?
Mark
wQbnIZI.jpg

Bernd
R4vG7gb.jpg

and me
q6t5dVD.jpg

In the shop we made last adjustments to the tour.
eSO5vPE.jpg

Finally we were allowed to go for the bikes. Hm, which one?
S6M2fK8.jpg

I flagged my Road King.:???:
Ez8LBj4.jpg

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
:clap::clap::clap:

Going the "Full Yank", aye?

Goofy, Hockey, Harleys and the-heart-attack -on-a-bun....not a bad start :bs
Let's see where this goes....

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
As I said, we had three days to ride. Our idea was to make a loop covering Joshua-Tree-Nationalpark in the east and San Diego in the south.
Unfortunately a week before our arrival they had heavy rainfall in SoCal. :thunhttps://watchers.news/2019/02/18/los-angeles-2019-rain-drought-california/

But that's what Albert Hammond told us years ago:

Seems it never rains in Southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California, but girl, don't they warn ya
It pours, man, it pours….

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwja_POZ7_jhAhXR_qQKHVjjAQ8QwqsBMAp6BAgIEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGmq4WIjQxp0&usg=AOvVaw3hcU-4AYw4ZjCopcrdwqHu

Keeping this in mind some routes had to be skipped. W-)

For the first day we went north and drove in the back of the San Gabriel Mountains to the east. Without rain and snow the weeks before we would have had a ride just through the mountains.

WPGB5tL.jpg

If you follow our route we highly recommend Little Tujunga Canyon Rd. It's worth it.
BWqONS1.jpg

We finally arrived in Lucerne Valley for lunch. up in the mountains we could see the snow.
Uw8Jkqh.jpg

Some adjustments for the cargo

5DxyiX6.jpg

and off we went up to the ski resort of Big Bear city.
mJUxkd9.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Seems it never rains in Southern California
]

Daughter reported the same from the Napa Valley....rain for weeks and snow up in the Sierras.

Then it all flipped straight into summer last week, with 30C+ every day.
That Little Tujunga Canyon Rd. looks good.....and all those forestry roads to the east of it, like that Mt. Gleasson....lots of camping areas up there in the hills, too. :drool:

Williamson

Part of the furniture
CA: LA, dirt, dust or snow.

Harleys would not have been my choice of bike, but hey, second class riding beats first driving and walking, any day.

We were astounded by the extent of snow at many locations when we toured the West and Mid-west a couple of years ago, almost to the day.

Monitor Pass (near Lake Tahoe):

PTSfo8UKDqzlrMJd1b1elkpfgZ3maPrJWD9HplyQP_rfPwwgllhnhYn97rJ91PWOYt4sezhizry7pblMmLLgQ3BOm8zjGVnDMvRRYUCTxmsOCElBOQrP_mNEGFJLbB3qcMYEmCnAxnfRALFP4xcNB9JyTrhGDpz3LTeQVEB7l4yTA35lov2-_wAbZuexWax-vSwwvBpo-0_iZAp9Rw_Y5I4Sf53ZDE-kCJJzfgaIZ1VEBdpyH2NVbK9JuICMj9LqROydqV8Jg29U9d29VLhnMP4_9oFiSof5WUs31bvS20KYXCwltrLmLN7CrcMFERWVhc9_7DuKJjWyBpnWSdG5iLM6d1uv3l1NhtK1N7akGunSVJ7nQe8id11psHRLNIJt4Q2lXGjUAh77EWTNuD4yiK5sKd84U--U-k9m4q0rQ5eqO-OcITuASW_hBxDIlFOqKSEYtmblaSUeYYmwI-Wtgda5kJ51FOQWEfNRXsYboe-nma2VNQozvXn3ZrUkw08NECVd_p-wBxG0BILwIDjEj5mwLENGY4ARoFZGa-jClL89TCe4sc3gihDdrS_um_Q6CQTfa2Kf5_yAHki16VJd0eAleTh_G_R3DO5e2fX8NrK60BHPZn2JZ5TYP-sjh_6mSQi_OOO7wo1CW6QvUNbm8f0h=w1153-h768-no

But hey, we were at 8314ft:
kJ2dW0rfCl4L_Z6wRFsTPtKjEMuMx8KzCTm22sMV47Z7jv6WkTL0VLyEFY91UhDqxtccAmNpZPAApS_dr-iCGefGSsNrGEK8sNMKsFC0WJGMLLTkoyyTKy-TIwtZSlJAVOAoWp3I0V3csCQ_o9RxMaSCqIC5N6RF8bRQCFUYshYYy1AkI0K0MLnu4oI87t74rwVaNluKI3ISJU7UKGFnQyb5akKdD2xzA8iRHeYtEXECr4d0j73d9OeyF_umHuZkjHtRBE3ylIEwmikH130CGvYWGvRK6mzGseBEulrq7LgBujZOb6zDSqBFuG3PshLpgoQvEuaHwaKYKWVdofLNnohaMi_oWL6D95nO_TTRq5XBj-7qKYjHtlWQPM2S2MuAy-oXlyRTC84ZEwXS-GDrMZaXUoHBgHf5umh3VXoKHgoQ2MKRF3Mbl2CWUcew7zCiVlgoTn5DANku-9Pc7kUPIWhJykRkokoWLWQ2zXFNbIkVMAt48_iORiirzhlAh1MWHNz7vb3UMePfhpCIl-ilur2Ohs0xcwYCdpSkwNrfr1Hs1Hi22E1Ja92mgR8nUmfmjMOSAGy6I9joNyIott2dN7ilYc1IRjjd0dUeR256Fb1HFXw5my7KqzuyHitQPl2H_PAff4klO4rv4XhzBErm1h3O=w920-h613-no

The road had just been cleared of snow and open to traffic, 8 May 2017.

Mmmmm ...... first pic post effort for a while, had difficulties reducing pic size in bulk, these ones from Google Photos. Any difference?

Hytram

<-- now went that way
some great riding in LA, even better when the snow thaws

but their canyons are what they are famous for!

I was suppose to ride LA in '17, had the bikes booked (MT09 and Duc hypermotard) and everything, but the hire place sold their business a couple a months before we got there and refunded our money, so we hired a dirty great SUV and drove to Las Vegas via Death Valley instead which Harleys would have been perfect for.

got to see and touch these on the way

https://goo.gl/maps/AKaK59tktZBkCz8u7

it really is the arse end of the world out that way, but the Military/Air and Space history is mindblowing!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Mmmmm ...... first pic post effort for a while, had difficulties reducing pic size in bulk, these ones from Google Photos. Any difference?

:-( not showing at all, just the circle-with-a-bar error here.

Wasn't there a trick with Google pics?

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The road had just been cleared of snow and open to traffic, 8 May 2017.

Well....early May in the Northern Hemisphere is early-ish spring, no surprise about snow up in the higher reaches of the mountains or the occasional white-out for a few days.
I certainly remember spring-skiing that time of year many years ago over in Europe.

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
mJUxkd9.jpg

I have to admit this Foto doesn't tell the truth. :rolleyes:

It was only a bit of snow in the woods, but man it was quite cold.
This was near Big Bear Lake, it took quite a while driving through the mountains from north to south. It was a fine ride, but watch out to pick a time slot with low traffic.
t6Trlan.jpg

This was when we arrived south of San Gabriel Mountains, much warmer down here in Yucaipa.

zZnAMtQ.jpg

We arrived in our motel in 29-Palms in the dark. Nice cold riding.

Off to the next restaurant for beer and food to call it a day.:chug::thumbs:

Zuckerbaron

Tour Pro
some great riding in LA, even better when the snow thaws

.... and drove to Las Vegas via Death Valley instead which Harleys would have been perfect for.

Right you are, Las Vegas is not that far away, but too high and too cold in the end of February.

Top Bottom