Tenterfield Travels- Basket Swamp

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
Hi Pete, the lower ranges are coarse decomposed granite and the topping is very loose!:eek:
At times it can be hard to simply take off if on even a modest slope!
Higher up in the forests the surface is (I suspect) clay with fine powdery topping, and sometimes sand- very mixed conditions within several kilometres.
Thankfully this day despite it being in the mid to high 30's the dust gods were kind.:D
Theres a few stories with this ride ;) Smoko was at Drake, we had just bought "Micks famous Homemade sausge rolls" to chow down upon at a lookout viewing Wellingtons Hat rock formation, when Dave casually mentions a creek crossing..."could be a foot deep or so" :eek:Somewhat shitting ones self I hastily removed my gps,phone and camera and stuffed them into zip bags I carry in case of rain.:wink: The sausage roll was another consideration. it got stuffed into my wet weather gear-paper bag and tomato sauce included...though very modest this was my first "real" crossing and I was somewhat worried about dropping the bike in the drink..that sausage roll was seriously at risk!
Approaching the crossing i realised that going after another bike had left the bottom of the creek obscured by muddy water...Dave had warned of "a few big rocks" on the exit side...great! anyway no dramas experienced,:D we set off and I straggled (struggled?) a bit and lost the leaders.
I had heard wellingtons Hat mentioned so took a turn off that said Wellingtons something or other. Rode for several k,s looking for tyre tracks etc to indicate I was following the other bikes :wink:
Took yet another turn and as the road deteriorated into single lane sandy shit decided to back track.:endu
I scratched "Dyson" and a big arrow in the dirt at the previous fork to show which way I had returned. Surprised myself on my tracking skills:killingme
I waited at the "main" intersection and recovered my VERY flaky snag roll from its paper bag that had become sodden with sauce.Luke warm and very greasy! but packed with Testosterone, (the sausage roll) I was feeling more relaxed but a bit of a "Nigel" at the same time.
A reasonably short time later Dave and Jonas appeared and after a bit of a laugh we were back on track literally :)

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
:clap::clap::thumbs:

Ya gotta LOVE them yarns!!
You'll never look at sausage rolls the same way again :killingme

Top Bottom