Warwick Texas Break in ride

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
Hugh and Ange didnt accompany us to Texas so as per the previous pics it was 1 V2 and the Beemer .
Sunday arvo after settling in I decided on a bit of a recce as I,d heard from a chap we assisted with directions at Rathdowney on the Friday before- of a good swimming hole at Texas....A word with the barmaid and the local knowledge was imparted ;)
The swimming hole is located in the Dumaresq river which is effectively the QLD/NSW border on the Southern end of town, about 1 km on the Stanthorpe/Goondiwindi road.

views from where I parked on the rivers edge

The "hole" is directly below the rope :)

From the bridge directly above the "hole" - the rope is just visible in the extreme far left of the image

Despite low water levels the "hole" below the bridge was aboout 6 feet deep :)
Suitably refreshed and cooled externally I returned to the hotel for internal refreshment ;)

Upon leaving the next morning we snapped a few pics of the local museum and defunct Ice works/ rabbit processing building.
In its heyday in the 30s' several trains per week frequented Texas to collect whole rabbits for export to England.
Texas area was also a major Tobacco growing area.

Museum

Ice works

A few images from "up the street"

Beautiful Art Deco Theatre, certainly the hub of the area 80 years ago

Dunno If I,d trust this bloke to charge me the PBS rate for my 'script..

Leaving Texas the bridge is within metres of the border

Local landscape

Last edited:

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
Continuing on to Bonshaw we came upon "Bonshaw Weir" just a few hundred metres off the main road :)
View from the low bridge that crosses the "river" , the beemer is just in view after bravely conquering the dirt road to the bridge ;)

The above bridge

looking upstream towards the weir

Closer shot

Weir wall

Upstream looking across the weir

Free picnic/camping area above the weir, only a shaded table/seat available here so its BYO!

Reaching Bonshaw we stopped briefly for a cold drink from the only store..
This is the sign outside,inside the store there are a few vintage petrol bowsers and a collection of barbers chairs!, and various matchbox models and tobacco memorabilia collections amongst the basic grocery items. - worth a look ;)

Main street of Bonshaw

It appears the tourism bubble burst long ago..
Though reading the faded sign behind indicates that the "Goat Racing" industry had died out also..

Continuing on (or was it before Bonshaw?) passed this...
(I dont know either)

We continued on to Tenterfield and then returned home via the well worn Bruxner Hwy and Tenterfield range :)
We accomplished our mission of getting the V2 past 1,000 ks for its first service and had a thoroughly enjoyable time in the process. There is sooo much more to explore out West and we will certainly be returning again :)

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
We accomplished our mission of getting the V2 past 1,000 ks for its first service and had a thoroughly enjoyable time in the process.

Now that the oil is warm....where to next? :thumbs:

Wanna start some ideas for another Tassie-rumble in "trip-planning"?

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
:D We,re off on Friday to overnight in Brisvegas with Ang and Hugh who were on the other V2s, then overnight at Kaimkillenbun in SEQLD via Dayboro,Mt Mee,
Cooyar etc :glu:clap:.:drool:
Then Its just me and the V and BB63 (sounds like a lyric :wink:)the following Friday Heading to Bendemeer for an overnighter via the Waterfall way/Dorrigo then riding
"The Oxley" to Port Macquarie for night Saturday night.
Home Sunday via Gwydir or similar :glu:clap:
Is that enough ?? :whistle::wink:

Re the Tassie :drool:rumble....was"that bone" :wink: a Boomerang!
I.ll check my seed stocks :wink:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
:D We,re off on Friday to overnight in Brisvegas with Ang and Hugh who were on the other V2s, then overnight at Kaimkillenbun in SEQLD via Dayboro,Mt Mee,
Cooyar etc :glu:clap:.:drool:
Then Its just me and the V and BB63 (sounds like a lyric :wink:)the following Friday Heading to Bendemeer for an overnighter via the Waterfall way/Dorrigo then riding
"The Oxley" to Port Macquarie for night Saturday night.
Home Sunday via Gwydir or similar :glu:clap:
Is that enough ?? :whistle::wink:

Re the Tassie :drool:rumble....was"that bone" :wink: a Boomerang!
I.ll check my seed stocks :wink:

Keep going with that schedule and you'll be looking for new hoops before the end of the month :wink:....and maybe, a divorce, too :killingme

As for Tassie...remember faintly , there was talk about another Tassie ride next year or so W-)....as a sort-of extension of the Eskdale meet and all...:whistle:

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
Ah tassie, I can hear her calling :):drool:
I,d reckon on 2 weeks on the Island? I doubt we could stretch the Eskdale weekend further as holidays are already "in" - including a few weeks off in May to travel to Quorn South Aust!:endu
However I.d say with the assistance of a few :scull: at Eskdale - and in the presence and company of the minister for war and finance- that a suitable seed could be sown :wink::woot:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Ah tassie, I can hear her calling .....- and in the presence and company of the minister for war and finance- that a suitable seed could be sown

Didn't take much arm-twisting, see? :woot::chug:

Quorn??? :eek:
Must be hitting the Flinders then? GREAT!

What time of year? Hopefully picking something reasonable as heat and flies can bugger things up real bad over there!:bang:

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
:wink: Quorn will be in May 2016 :D I have NO idea what the het/ flies will be like! but I can assure you if there are flies I shall be donning and Apiarists outfit!!

Tassie at this stage (do do a proper run) ie a week down and back and 2 weeks there would best be accomodated with Dixies long service leave after September 2017 - which coincidentally would be 5 years (too long) since our first visit together, and my proposal to her in January 2012 :D

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
... but I can assure you if there are flies I shall be donning and Apiarists outfit!!

Take a few spares along...or NEVER drop below 120kmh :bs
Never seen (and chewed) as many flies in my life as in the Flinders/ Wilpena.
May sounds ok for temps, though.

Top Bottom