Talbotville touring.

dougman1

Part of the furniture
Hi everyone, :gday:

This weekend we chuffed off for far reaches of Victoria, and settled in for the night at Talbotville.

The Monarch's motorcycle club holds a rally there every year. So it was time to join them.

Saturday morning in Melbourne proved to be a dreary affair with rain interrupting our planned semi early start.

P1070854-XL.jpg

Not many pics because the phones and cameras were locked away due to the weather.

Although we did stop at Longworry for a refuel and a bite to eat. I reckoned it was the best pie I'd had since Jesus had played fullback for the disciple's.

IMG_2488-XL.jpg

We toured Gippsland and stopped at Briagolong for fuel.
Then it was on to Dargo. Here's OZav8or on the Africa Twin. It was a cracker day in Dargo but we had to press on to set up camp.
The Pub looks deliciously inviting though, doesn't it. :scull:

IMG_2489-XL.jpg

We pressed on up the hill from Dargo to find the turnoff to Talbotville.

IMG_2491-XL.jpg

We arrived just in time to register before they drew the raffle. We both picked up a prize...

IMG_2493-L.jpg

dougman1

Part of the furniture
It was getting cool in the valley as we set up our tents.
There were a few fires starting and before long it was dark.

P1070860-XL.jpg

P1070861-XL.jpg

P1070862-XL.jpg

After dinner we sat around the fire and quietly sipped away all our troubles.

P1070863-XL.jpg

It was a cool morning and Faz was reluctant to get out of bed.

P1070868-XL.jpg

There is always a solution..

P1070875-XL.jpg

dougman1

Part of the furniture
After a nourishing breakfast of Bacon and eggs with beans we waited for the sun to come out and thaw things out a bit.

P1070879-XL.jpg

Some didn't wait for the sun, and took off for home early.

P1070882-XL.jpg

It was turning out to be a lovely morning.

P1070883-XL.jpg

The sun finally made an appearance and we packed up and set off about 9.30 am.

P1070885-XL.jpg

Dargo again, before opening time...W-)

IMG_2497-XL.jpg

I couldn't help wondering, which of the departments you will get this sticker from.

IMG_2496-XL.jpg

Some of the Views on Freestone Creek road that runs from Briagolong to the Dargo road.

IMG_2499%20%281%29-XL.jpg

We meet the group of dirt riders again at Longwarry. Said our goodbyes and slabbed it home.

A great weekend.

Short, time wise, long km wise.

Another one in the bag! :chug: :clap::clap::clap:

John_Johnny

Long Timer
Faz loves those "Natural" Confectionery Sour Snakes!

That photo of ozav8r on his Africa Twin is stunning. I want!!!!!

I see the Monarchs posted a lot of photos on Facebook and there was a red R1100RT there, so maybe Johnny and I could have made it up there????

Great set of photos Dougie.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Good stuff there Doug, I am envious .........

Talbotville is a very nice spot, been there a few times, first time in 4WD, second time in a 2WD and then (last year) on the XT600. With the XT going soon, I don't think I get there again.

You didn't mention a stop in Grant. If you didn't stop there, allow some time next visit, it's worth it.

... maybe Johnny and I could have made it up there????

There was some talk on another thread (I'm sure you'll find it) about taking road bikes to Talbotville. Better riders than me (perhaps you) have done this, but not me.

This is your shortest route, but not likely accessible during winter. Road may be closed (gated) or under snow, and with 70km or more of gravel, not much fun. https://goo.gl/maps/NdFWQdZffE92

Your alternative to void as much gravel as possible is via this route, but I'm not sure if it's a simple overnight option. This would be a three night trip for me. https://goo.gl/maps/6SXYKh9XdG92

stevegt738

Tour Pro
Was a good weekend apart from the rain. Had good weather to & from the rally though. Left home 9am Thursday, got home 1pm Sunday, 4 & half hours each way.
Good to catch up with Pete(V-Twin) Faz & crew, Doug & Ivan. Faz Provided the river crossing entertainment again, although he did make it through before he binned (on dry land) it this time.

Roll on next year.

ktmman1503

Riding KTM990 ADV
I'm bummed.... Was planing to go, but after reading the weather report on Friday avo saying Dargo was going to have Heavy Rain for Saturday, I pulled the pin.

Now seeing those pics above... It would have been a top weekend..

Bloody BOM.

Thanks for the report..

Cheers.

Craig.

John_Johnny

Long Timer
I'm bummed.... Was planing to go, but after reading the weather report on Friday avo saying Dargo was going to have Heavy Rain for Saturday, I pulled the pin.

Now seeing those pics above... It would have been a top weekend..

Bloody BOM.

Thanks for the report..

Cheers.

Craig.

Agreed. Bloody BOM. People give the forecast too much credence and many events are spoiled because potential attendees pull out due to a forecast of rain. Like the Bright Autumn Festival this year. Rain was forecast and yet it was sunny and beautiful all day.

Then again...it can go the other way. I checked the radar before we left for Melbourne the other day and it turns out the pissing rain was only showing up on the Melbourne radar and not on the Yarrawonga radar. I've changed my BOM bookmark now so it shows the composite picture. Once bitten twice shy.

Top Bottom