Lunches + Flats...Longwood Sat. 9/4

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Can you still get vulcanising patches? I remember little tins and you lit the back of them to adhere the patch, would they work on a tubeless?
I have heard of stuffing cuts in tubless tyres with multiple "rope" plugs, though never had to try it (thank god!!)
I also had no idea you could get tubeless crossplies!
new slogan- AusTouring- "The Learning Forum" ;)
:chug:Paul

Haven't seen an old-style vulcanizing patch for yonks...they most probably wouldn't work on modern tyres because of the high silica-content of the compounds nowadays... as well as the surface structure of the tyre inside, which is all ribbed and profiled.

A cut is always a "bad" puncture, as there's the potential for continuing tearing under stress as well as longish/ flexible sides to the tear, that work any "filler/plug" out of the tear over a fairly short distance.
The most ideal damage is a nail that's gone through the wear surface at a shallow angle.
Hasn't caused structural damage to the carcasse and has plenty of body+hold for the patch/rope/mushroom etc.

There won't be many crossplies left in the road-tyre field, unless one drops below the 140-width mark.

Popular tubeless C/P tires used right now include: (or bias-ply, as they're called now)
Heidenau K60
Heidenau K76
Conti TKC-80
Mitas E-07
Metzeler Karoo T
Metzeler ME880
Shinko 705
Kenda 761 and 784 Big Blocks.

Nothing wrong with them at all, and in some respects tougher than the radials.
C/P sidewall is harder to puncture, sidewalls are stiffer and therefore easier to steer at lower speeds - works perfectly in the dirt.
The tubeless bit comes from the bead-profile, not the basic tyre construction.

nev

Super Térrarist
I have heard of stuffing cuts in tubless tyres with multiple "rope" plugs, though never had to try it (thank god!!)

Jo's bike got a puncture that just wouldn't hold air with one rope plug (on a pulbic holiday and on a road trip). No shops open so I somehow managed to get two rope plugs in it and it did hold pressure and lasted another 700km till we got to a bike shop.

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
Jo's bike got a puncture that just wouldn't hold air with one rope plug (on a pulbic holiday and on a road trip). No shops open so I somehow managed to get two rope plugs in it and it did hold pressure and lasted another 700km till we got to a bike shop.

Nice work! ;)
Thats the advantage of rope plugs against the "Cargol" and "Dynaplug" type plugs ;)

John_Johnny

Long Timer
Do tyres 'go off'? My front tyre is the original so that makes it 20 years old. The rear tyre was put on after the trip to Ayers Rock, so it must be 18 years old. Tread on both tyres still looks ok although rear tyre no longer has a completely round profile. They get a flat top after riding in a straight line most of the time.

Edit. Just Googled it. (Isn't Google a woderful thing!)
Seems there is a 3 digit code stamped on tyres. 1st two digits are week and last digit is year.
My front tyre has VKE117
Rear has DAB167
So I must have had them changed in 2007 but I don't recall. Alzheimers? Old age dementia?
UNLESS that's 1997. Oh dear. Not sure now. :oops:

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Do tyres 'go off'? My front tyre is the original so that makes it 20 years old. The rear tyre was put on after the trip to Ayers Rock, so it must be 18 years old.

fpalm.gif
fpalm.gif

That'll take a circular saw to pop the bead then...and some railway spikes for rope-plugs for any onroad tyre-repair :bs

Williamson

Part of the furniture

Had to put three or four rope plugs in the rear tyre of the Mighty ST on the Great Apline Road around 10km south of Omeo, tyre held enough pressure to get Omeo and back to Bairnsdale and then Melbourne, checked tyre pressure / topped-up air every 100km or so, replaced tyre first opportunity.

Top Bottom