Sun-chasing the Apple-Isle....Tassie 2018

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Thanks...that's the one I couldn't find last night.

Just a few quick lines before the "picture-show"...

1) The amount of Campers and Caravans roaming Tassie through the summer-season has taken on absolutely staggering proportions. About half of all vehicles boarding the ferries at both ends were campers/ caravan rigs taking advantage of the the boom of free campsites (or super-cheap) that are dotted every few kilometers along all main highways (and even some byways). $200.000 rigs fighting for $5 campsites :doh:

2) Weather wasn't as good as when Squiz + Crusty were over there a fortnight earlier, but going with the weather rather than with a plan proved the right choice again and kept the bums dry.
Some drizzle and overcast days along the clockwise loop, while other groups like "the 7 Posties" and Kevin777 and his mates copped it big time... the west being the west W-)

3) There's a recent series of publications by a local Hobartian rider, Leon Cupit, who has released a trio of booklets about Tassie motorcycle-riding/ routes/ info etc.

The road-version is worth a closer look and downloadable here, pdf-file.

Next is a general accommodation guide mainly based on this info: (no concrete addresses or points of contact, just general stuff, hmmmm)
http://campingtasmania.com/map-camping-tasmania.htm

Then there's the ADV version of the road-guide. Eivind had purchased the lot and I was able to have a good look through and compare with maps and first-hand info from many previous trips.
The first half is a near full road-loop of Tassie with VERY little gravel, there's lots more exciting "adv"-stuff around!!

The other half are short-to-medium dirt and gravel stretches mainly in the interior and around the "extremities". Most of those routes have apparently been penned by various sources with varied backgrounds...and the results show. While they certainly mention some of the more interesting areas and targets of Tassie, they have to be taken with a HUGE DOSE of caution.

The listed difficulty-ratings are totally out-of-whack throughout the entire publication and can easily lead the unwary up shit-creek, BIG TIME!!

Use it for general info content ONLY... then double-check for a real assessment of your planned route with some known-good and reliable sources!!

Tas2018_001a.JPG

4) MONA...what a GROANER!! :doh::bang::bang:
Deciding to spend a wet + blustery day near Hobart "under cover", MONA was an obvious choice. Should've browsed the local op-shop instead.:(
Absolute prime position on a sandstone-knoll reaching into the Derwent River with a pretty vineyard on top and surrounded by Hobart's spreading suburbs, it sure is an impressive sight :eek:, if somewhat incongruous.

The sub-subterranean art displays are totally dwarfed by the central, 4-story tall sandstone wall in all its colours. Dwarfed in EVERY way, that is. While the 30m black wall of plaster-vaginas (aka "the wall of c&^%s") is easily identifiable as a line of portraits of our current world leaders, the room full of cardboard model planes dangling off the ceiling was obviously a project by the local Glenorchy Primary School 3rd graders...maybe they were also involved in those 2 bonking, animated skeletons in a glass-coffin? W-)

They can backfill those underground chambers with toxic waste for all I care...I'll stick to the vineyard up top :so.

I know, I know....I failed my Art subjects in High School, too...after coughing up a single-line "essay" of my impressions following a class-excursion to some museum or other, housing a collection of kitchen chairs smeared with tubs of margarine:doh:
I still bet the celebrity artist was wetting himself in a back-room while wondering how much more piss he could take out of the stumped, dumb public shuffling past.:killingme
MONA ...been there, done that, tick here + forget.

Consolation-coffees and more lasting memories were made at Moto Vecchia
in Bellerive an hour later. :thumbs:

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
Well done,:thumbs: Your Prolog.
Many thanks, You make me curious....:glu
Can't wait for more details of Your journey!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Test of iPad link to Smugmug
]

Link works, but images will only display when linked individually via their own URL
Linking pics from smugmug is a breeze
You also may want to take down that link as there seem to be personal/ family photos in that directory
and this here is a publicly viewable thread (i.e. search engines and bots got access to catalogue content)

Can't wait for more details of Your journey!

Coming up!! :chug:
This time I'll try to not make it "diary-style" but rather go with areas and routes/ maps, let's see how it works.

Setting Sails at Station Pier/ Melbourne, ~8am

Tas2018_001.JPG

Tas2018_002.JPG

Tas2018_003.JPG

Tas2018_004.JPG

Tas2018_005.JPG

Neighbours

Tas2018_M_001.JPG

Making new friends...yacketyack

Tas2018_007.JPG

Oops, overshot the ticket booth :cool:

Tas2018_008.JPG

Gotta go back...the quick way :thumbs:

Tas2018_009.JPG

Thinking about throwing the emergency anchor and unload the bikes for a spin of King Island...

Tas2018_M_002.JPG

Lucky, Kenny was around and collected my camera which I forgot on the afterdeck....otherwise the picture show would stop right here. Arghh...age!
Thanks, mate :clap::bow:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Ups + Downs

Only booking the first night's accom a week ahead, a Tassie Long Weekend made things a bit difficult. With the Spirit-crew searching for my camera we ran into the pitch-dark on the way to Sheffield, dodging roadkill as best as possible.

Downs: T's Chinese TakeAway in Sheffield.
VERY average...and double the price. :eek:
But at least a short pickup https://goo.gl/dGAQ7e

Ups:

Hurlfield Cottage, what a cutie!! Lots of quirks, lovely setting and every detail in place.
Then add the super-friendly owners, Chris + Sharon

Tas2018_M_005.JPG

"Riding some bull" (nothing new here, then ):bs

Tas2018_M_004.JPG

Tas2018_010.JPG

Tas2018_011.JPG

A foggy Sunday morning at the foot of Mt. Roland

Tas2018_012.JPG

Tas2018_013.JPG

Tas2018_014.JPG

Tas2018_M_006.JPG

Tas2018_015.JPG

Tas2018_016.JPG

C'mon, get going yer clown, the bikes are waiting!!

Tas2018_018.JPG

Tas2018_017.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Actually, the more often I trip over that shot of the Westgate, the more I like it.

Here's a close-up

Tas2018_006.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Damn!! Caught!!

@Eivind
Found a Youtube flic from Flickit (ADV Tas) of the Swanston Track....glad we quit on this thing before it got ugly.
He's going west -> east and came down that hill we were staring at from the other side, going up.
About 4.45-5.30 is the spot. :doh:
About 6.15 are the gate and warning signs we came past...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pvv2zncjtI

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Tacking East across the top

Everyone! knows that spot....

Tas2018_019.JPG

No idea...Goodie knows best.W-)

Tas2018_M_007.JPG

Chudleigh, it's all about the bees and honey, honey!

Tas2018_M_008.JPG

Notley Fern Gorge near Exeter

Tas2018_020.JPG

Tas2018_021.JPG

Lilydale Falls Reserve....another cheap/ free camp area for a night, this one with attached waterfall.

Tas2018_022.JPG

Tas2018_023.JPG

Tas2018_M_009.JPG

A squirt up an old railway tunnel....the sad end of the Tas NorthEast Railway.
How to find the bloody thing? Here!

Tas2018_M_010.JPG

Tas2018_M_011.JPG

Tas2018_024.JPG

Some feat of engineering then...

Tas2018_025.JPG

Tas2018_026.JPG

Tas2018_027.JPG

Top Bottom