Chiltern Heritage Festival

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Where's the action?!

The Albury Border Mail advertised the Chiltern Heritage Festival was on today. http://tinyurl.com/hkkujwj

We turned up at 10am expecting stalls, activities, displays, sausage sizzle etc. Nuthin!
The visitor information centre told us it was indeed on, but just a parade of old trucks at 2pm.

Johnny imitating the 'sooky' :bs

At least they had some nice streets. :whistle:

Never mind. We'll come back later. Albury's just up the road so we'll head off to the BMW dealer to get a tyre price....via Barnawartha.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Johnny imitating the 'sooky'

:clap::clap: Goodonya, Johnny...first time you're not looking like a meerkat in those shots!:wink:

Barnawartha?? Sounds good!
Still gotta go past one day and check out the Cheesely's Bootmakers shop!!

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Quick stop in Barnawartha, check the map, take pic of pub.

Didn't stay long in Albury. Too busy! Nice of them to provide motorcycle parking. Right outside JB Hi Fi. Went in to see if they had Corner Gas on DVD. Answer... No.

Stopped at a quaint little winery off Murray Valley Highway somewhere between the Logic Center and Rutherglen. Olive Hills Estate.

Stopped for lunch at the Silver Key in Rutherglen. This unlikely looking cafe has won awards. You won't believe your eyes when you see what's inside.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

The Rutherglen tourists usually rock up to Parkers Pies with their extensive advertising and catchy jingle. "Parkers pies pies pies Parkers pies pies pies".....ad nauseum.
The Silver Key is like stepping back in time. Laminex tables, old tin signs for Sennets ice cream, Coke, even Aspin with APC. This stuff hasn't been added to give the store a retro look. It's original and has always been here. Johnny was interested in the Mortein fly spray. You know the old type with a re-fillable can and bike pump?
Even the chips are hand cut and fried in good ol' greasy fat. There's always a scramble to get the straggly little crunchy chips. None of those uniformly cut frozen chips here.
Somethings never change and that's what I like about this place.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

After stuffing ourselves at Rutherglen we cruised over to Corowa and enjoyed a spell at 'The Lagoon'.
It's on the Murray river at the Foord Bridge which is the old rickety one lane falling down one.

John_Johnny

Long Timer
After Corowa we headed home via the dead straight road from Murray Valley Hwy to Wang. Something like 40k with not a single bend or intersection other than dirt track crossovers. Good stretch for a blast but we didn't as Mr Plod is well aware of this drag strip. Instead I put the throttle lock on and cranked up the extended version of CCR - Heard it on the Grapevine. There was a brown snake crossing the road and I reckon we missed it by 6". As a kid I was frightened by the notion of snakes getting into the car through the wheel wells, but that's an urban myth. Not so for motorbikes! Has anyone ever hit a snake? Do they flick up and sink their fangs into your throat. Johnny saw the snake and switched the intercom on to ask what would happen. I waited a minute then exclaimed "What's that on your leg!"

Top Bottom