Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Good stuff - bring on that cougar !

Glad to see the duck made it ...
Screenshot2010-10-07at83727PM.png

CAUGHT!!!

That bloody duck's been EVERYWHERE!!:bs:bs

NO trip without it.
(....and so far it's worked its magic!!)

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Another day….another ride. :glu

Jimbo wants to make the sure that the Strom is solid and really lasts past the drops-dead-after-20miles mark. :so

US2010_024a.jpg

US2010_024b.jpg

A short tack…north this time… on the I-5 ….and Grants Pass shows to be a more substantial town than thought. Then onto Hwy199 for the 140k’s of sweepers towards the coast.

US2010_024c.jpg

A quick detour past Jesse’s place, the well-known DR650 Guru of ADVrider fame, who also sends his special DR parts DownUnder regularly.
He was interested in Jimbo’s old throttle bodies to develop a possible aftermarket FI kit for the DR…so we dropped off the whole shebang.

US2010_024d.jpg

A true bike-nut…and apparently still riding the wheels off his own highly modded creations.
Just watch those eyes fire up when the talk goes from general waffle to bikes and rides…inspiring! :clap::clap:

US2010_025.jpg

This ain't a garage, folks....there's a complete machine shop in there!!

US2010_026.jpg

Heading West towards the coast again along the Illinois River…the water’s bottle green and clear as glass….and it’s EVERYWHERE !!! Rivers, creeks, lakes….the amount of water is stumping.

US2010_027a.jpg

US2010_028.jpg

US2010_029.jpg

US2010_030.jpg

US2010_031.jpg

Definitely getting closer to the coast… what the hills loose in height, the rivers gain in width.

US2010_032.jpg

After riding the Redwood Highway for the last couple of hours, we’ve slipped across the State border somewhere and have the choice of a shortcut through the Jedediah Smith Redwood Park in Northern California (NorCal)….one of the few remaining stands of those majestic trees.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=413

To say that the single-laner dirt road snaking through those massive trunks and some undergrowth is impressive and enchanting….is a total understatement. It’s bloody INCREDIBLE!!:slobb:slobb

US2010_033.jpg

There’s just no hope to catch any of this on camera….the size of those trees is simply gob-smacking!:glu

US2010_034.jpg

US2010_035.jpg

It’s only about 15k’s through the park and eventually we pop out at the coast, just a little south of Crescent City.

US2010_036.jpg

US2010_037.jpg

Up here (and further north to the Canadian border), the coastal road is the Hwy 101, further south towards SF/ LA and San Diego it’s the Hwy1.

Grey Nomads US style…a converted coach as mobile home with a 2.5ton 4WD trailing along. They’re everywhere….and with the coming winter on their way south at this time of year.

US2010_038.jpg

Info-stand at a rest-area along the 101

US2010_039.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
And to make sure that bears don’t pinch all that valuable literature…bearproof latches.:wot:

US2010_040.jpg

GST/VAT are state-taxes here…and California runs at ~8% or so…which makes the juice ~ 50c more per gallon than in Oregon (which hasn’t got any GST/VAT).

US2010_041.jpg

It’s a little further south for us…

US2010_042.jpg

US2010_043.jpg

Shortly after we’re veering east….and straight into the 6-Rivers National Park. The Trinity Hwy. twists and winds its way through the coastal hills into the mountains above.

US2010_044.jpg

US2010_045.jpg

The Weaverville Motel (our first "Hotel California) is straight out of the 70’s….a cute little place with badly sloping floors and everything held together with a thick slab of paint.

Who cares…the small restaurant in town more than makes up for it, super-friendly hosts and excellent tucker !!

Looks like not everyone’s happy with Obama & Co… as mentioned before, politics and religion are HOT topics around here and, as always, seem to be one and the same.
Forgot to ask Jimbo what a Banana Belt is…so, don’t ask.

US2010_047.jpg

US2010_048.jpg

US2010_049.jpg

After Maccas, Coke and the Global Financial Crisis, AUS might finally adopt something usefull??
…Canberra isn’t that far for a “hunting trip”, innit? :bt:thumbs:

US2010_050.jpg

This gem wouldn’t last 5 minutes in Melbourne's streets….nice to see things like that still exist.

US2010_051.jpg

Right in the middle of town….and not shy AT ALL!

US2010_046a.jpg

Plonk! I’m done for the day….

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Waking up in California…I still can’t believe it.:eek:

If life would’ve taken another twang in the early-70s, I would’ve spent my last 30-odd years here….
Way back in the “dark ages” my parents had an offer to work and live just south of LA, re-settling the whole family.
Green cards weren’t something desirable then, no European in their right mind wanted to migrate to the US in the wake of the Vietnam disaster and its political fallout…the whole of Western Europe also buckling under the emotional strain of the Cold War whipped into frenzy by the US.

Trinity County is beckoning with early morning sunshine and a solid breakfast at one of the Café’s down the main drag…
Another 70’s leftover…

US2010_052.jpg

Weaverville main drag

US2010_053.jpg

Up north on the state route 3, Goodie honking it on the DR….what a combo!!:clap:
Body & soul, the 2 are getting on like life-long buddies…

US2010_054.jpg

Not far out of Weaverville

US2010_055.jpg

Further up the road and into the hills…this is a heart-opener.:glu:glu

US2010_057.jpg

US2010_058.jpg

Oh…I mentioned that it’s a sort-of-relief to see a car around here, didn’t I?
Just as a reminder that there ARE folks around…in case you get yourself up shit-creek.

US2010_059.jpg

US2010_060.jpg

US2010_061.jpg

Off the State3 and north to Scott Bar, up the Scott River Rd., following in the footsteps of this fellow…

US2010_077.jpg

US2010_062.jpg

US2010_063.jpg

US2010_064.jpg

US2010_065.jpg

US2010_066.jpg

The going is good, the roads simply stumping!!
The KLR hoops (Kenda 761) are starting to wear round again, the old Pegaso days paying off, I’m getting the gearing right on the big banger and the red 650’s is punching redline time and again…we’re scraping pegs.
Pegs…. not hero-knobs. They’ve long gone.

This baby is serious fun….and like any big single, it just eats the tight stuff. I’m having a ball!!
Wish the front end was better and the front anchor would have some real bite…..wot the hell, let’s rock!!
There’s fun to be had….and I’ll have it!! YES, with cream!! :so

US2010_067.jpg

US2010_068.jpg

The same obviously goes for Jimbo, clearly past worrying about the Strom packing it in…:thumbs::thumbs:

US2010_069.jpg

US2010_070.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
US2010_071.jpg

A few miles west again on the 96

US2010_071a.jpg

US2010_071b.jpg

US2010_072.jpg

US2010_072a.jpg

Let’s skip lunch….this is way too good to stop!!:slobb

US2010_073.jpg

US2010_074.jpg

US2010_075.jpg

US2010_076a.jpg

Another tack north at Happy Camp for the single-laner (slobber) to Cave Junction, back on Hwy 199.

US2010_078.jpg

US2010_079.jpg

US2010_080.jpg

US2010_081.jpg

US2010_082.jpg

US2010_083.jpg

Another hour sees us cutting south-east through the northern-most corner of the Klamath State Forest on some dirt tracks to Williams and the Applegate Valley back to Chateaux Jimbeaux.

US2010_084.jpg

Shiiiiat….how good was that??:party:

And the Strom ran without a single hiccup or fart.:chug:

I think, Jimbo’s slowly coming around to the fact that the “Mistress” is back!!:bs

Chally

Tour Pro
Truely some beatiful countryside Pete with some excellent roads!!!:glu
I must say the photos are excellent as well. I noticed the camera in one of the close up photos, is that a Canon G9 you are using?

Jeff

goodie

If you look closely at the road.... you'll notice that the cat eyes are set into pockets of scraped-out asphalt. Best avoided when cornering.....
You probably ask: Why do they such a thing?
Well, we asked that too. The answer to this is pretty simple: In winter snowploughs are clearing the roads and if the cat-eyes are just attached to the road they'll get ripped out :doh:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Jimbo used a small point 'n shoot Canon, Goodie's got an old Casio Exilim 5mp (can't remember the model) which is sorta good on video, no good on landscape and fine on portrait/ close stuff....mine is an old Canon S3 point 'n shoot. Lousy 5 mp but above average optics and zoom.
Heavy bugger, too, with 4XAAs.
It's borderline bearable to wear around the neck on a strap all day.

Nothing flash or expensive at all...
No PS either, only some pics have brightness and/or contrast adjusted.

Chally

Tour Pro
In winter snowploughs are clearing the roads and if the cat-eyes are just attached to the road they'll get ripped out :doh:
Snowplough, what's a snowplough? :lol: One day I would like to go and see snow.:)

Seriouly, that is interesting as it isn't something that someone from our climate would be likely to think of.

Jeff

Chally

Tour Pro
Thanks for the info mate. This was the camera I was talking about. It must be the S3? It looks very similar to the G9. They do have good optics on them but as you say they are quite heavy for a P & S.

Jeff

Top Bottom