2006 Alpine Rally and around

R

roarin

Great yarn Marty. Keep it happening dude. I know what you mean about finding time to write it all up. It does take quite a bit of effort to string it all together eh :lol:

Hytram

<-- now went that way
Righty O then...

The Omeo Hwy has got to be one of the true joys of motorcycling in Victoria, especially the northern section from the Murray Valley Hwy through Mitta Mitta to Omeo. It has everything from 150kmh sweepers to one after another 1st gear peg draggers with 100mt drop off to one side to dirt sections that for us was covered in snow in parts. I love this road. The Strom was made for it.

(stopping off at Mitta Mitta General Store, I wasn’t sure if I was filling up on unleaded or low fat)
IMG_1880.jpg

(Stuart going past me at warp factor 9!)
IMG_1883.jpg

(A Stromobile)
IMG_1884.jpg

Then came the bit of the Omeo Hwy I love, one tight bend after another with the Mitta Mitta River off to one side down a bloody steep drop 100mt below. Its doesn’t matter if you get one of the corners not quite right, it repeats its self after the next corner. This seems to go on for ever and no traffic to be seen anywhere...heaven :)

It was getting late in the afternoon so we stopped of at the Blue Duck Inn to see if they had any accommodation for the night, we where in luck. A little exxy at $160 for the three of us but it was well worth it. The cabin was "cute" with its limited generator supplied power and the wood burning steel fire box. The real gem was the pub. It was warm not only in atmosphere and temperature but also in friendliness. The food was to die for, not your usual pub meal but more a`la carte, the chicken parma was sensational.

It was early bed for me, the eyes desire to close overwhelmed the desire to sit and drink....

(a view of the Blue Duck Inn from the cabins, middle of the night with a 15 second exposure)
IMG_1894.jpg

(chookies in the twilight)
IMG_1901.jpg

(the twilight zone)
IMG_1903.jpg

day 4 to come

Hytram

<-- now went that way
Day 4

We woke to the most clear, crisp blue skied morning with the sun streaming through the windows and ice on the seats of the bikes.

(the GS with a halo)
IMG_1910.jpg

(ready to go)
IMG_1908.jpg

(the pub in daylight)
IMG_1907.jpg

Off we left to Omeo along the tight twisties that snake along the steep cliffs along the Mitta Mitta River, taking it easy on the shady spots in fear of black ice but opening it right up in the sunny sections.

Into Omeo we turn off the Hwy and take the Swift Creek back Rd to stop of at Swift Creak for Breakfast.

Then down the rest of the Omeo Hwy playing overtake the long weekend traffic game and surprising not a cop in sight.

With the weather closing in we said our goodbyes in Yarragon, it was a great 4 days riding and a big thanks to Moike and Stu for making it such

all the photos at http://www.martyh.com/2006-06-13_alpine/index.htm

over and out

Marty

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Fan-bloody-tastic !! :D
Those shots are !! STUMPERS !!!

Thanks for taking the time to write it up.
Makes you wanna go NOW, doesn't it?

G

glipschitz

Great report and photos as always Marty! :)

Man it gives me one hell of an inkling to go touring for a few days / weeks / months!

The cruks of working for yourself..... finding the god damn time to do it!

G

Hytram

<-- now went that way
sorry for the self gratuitous bumpage....

but I have finally got around to upload some photos from my great webpage crash of a few years back...

and I like the Ride report :)

Top Bottom