NZ North Island (yeah I couldn't think of a catchy name)

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
IMG_1305.JPG
Hi, they are really fantastic memories:clap:
is this the Place.....on the way from Turangi to Forgotten World Highway?
(or vice versa) I ´ve been there in Nov. 2011

nev

Super Térrarist
Today was the first day for the trip it wasn't sunny in the morning. Some rain had fallen overnight and the thermals were on because our first stop was the ski fields on Mt Ruapehu. Somewhere behind the clouds there is a big active volcano.

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1314.JPG

Saw some wonderful old buildings in Raetihi.

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1318.JPG

The we followed the Wanganui River down to the coast at Wanganui where we had what I rated as the best kebab I've ever eaten.

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

Then we followed the highway back up to Raehiti and then across to Ohakune

IMG_1332.JPG

A fence of shoes several hundred metres long.

IMG_1336.JPG

nev

Super Térrarist
In the morning we backtracked to Raehiti and then hit some dirt roads. Ripper morning.

IMG_1342.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG

From Taihape I was told that the road to Napier via Gentle Annie was all sealed now, although it showed as dirt of my map. Never mind, my GPS had other ideas. It directed us a quicker way to Napier, which joined the Gentle Annie road about 55km west of Taihape. This road had about 30km of dirt and some spectacular views.

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1346.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

If the damn grass was green like it was supposed to be, you'd be able to see the road we came up winding it's way along the entire length of this valley.

IMG_1350.JPG

I was planning to stay in Napier, but coudln't find any accommodation within about 50km of the place. Turns out the "Horse of the year" was on that weekend. Instead we headed south to Dannevirke for the night.

TimC

Tour Pro
Gee it looks quite a lot drier this time than it did 5 or so months ago. Seasons are funny things.

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
Yeah Tim!
.... and warmer, too :cool:

Damned good ride!
I think, many of us are with you, now!:glu

nev

Super Térrarist
We headed south a bit then crossed the hills and joined Route 52 at Pongaroa for the ride north to Napier. It had rained overnight but the roads this morning were fairly dry. Lots of wild turkeys about.

IMG_1354.JPG

Visited the place with the world's longest place name

IMG_1355.JPG

Detoured off route 52 over the hills for a bit

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1360.JPG

That was that for the day. We checked into a motel across the road from the beach in Napier for a couple of nights.

nev

Super Térrarist
Some of the Napier sights. It is the Art Deco capital of the world.

IMAG0607.jpg

IMAG0608.jpg

IMAG0611.jpg

IMAG0612.jpg

One for glitch

IMAG0627.jpg

IMAG0629.jpg

Top Bottom