April-on-a-bike, the Report .....

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Tuesday 2 April

With more Easter traffic travelling south rather than north, Mrs W and I headed north. A quick sprint up the Hume Freeway and Olympic Way found us at Henty for the night.

Our hosts for the night at Henty Central B&B were Warren & Elaine Heycox who provided a double room, ensuite, a full breakfast and a large dose of good old fashioned country hospitality for $65.00.

Warren is a former Ulyssian (......former because in an earlier life "on-the-farm" when $$$ got tight he had to sell the Harley to buy a tractor. WTF! Isn't this a case of swapping a tractor for a tractor?). Anyway, despite the Mighty CB and trailer being securely locked behind a fence and gate, under a huge tree in the backyard, Warren asked if I wanted to cover the bike. I said I would, but forgot.

In the morning I go out to find this:
TheMightyCBnappingatHenty_zps14ac1be5.jpg

First class effort Wazza.
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Today's distance = 380km.

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
i thought riders just use to have the tassels on the handlebars...but this!:bs

:killingme:killingme

Ohhh Jeezaz....tks for this morning's giggles.

In Vic, it would've been $65/ night just for THAT bike cover!:icon-maffick-:
Michael....give us more, mate...more,more,more!!

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Wednesday 3 April

No time for pics today.

Ahhhh! Fresh fruit & cereal, Elaine's soft-poached eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms and crispy bacon on toast, bottomless mug of coffee - what more can a bloke ask for before a big day's ride?

From Henty along the Olympic Way via The Rock, Wagga Wagga, Junee (cup of coffee and chat with a very happy ST1100 owner and his wife at the coffee shop at the Loftus B&B - bike friendly courtesy of Mr ST1100, and all the bike mags he and his mates have supplied), Cootamundra, Young, Cowra (lunch at Royce's Cake Shop in the main street, mmmmm! worth stopping at), Canowindra, Orange, Molong, Wellington to Gulgong.

Over-night at the Prince of Wales Hotel. Motel rooms out the back, small but clean and tidy, plenty of hot water, not cheap ($106), off-street parking but not secure (like I was told when I booked), great mixed grill, cold beers, greater local reds (from Mudgee).

Today's distance = 534km - not a big ride, but enough with a pillion and 220kg trailer, good bed, good sleep.

Zzzzzzzzz!!!!

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Thursday 4 April

Today was Gulgong to Wallibi Point, this was 441km direct which included a lot of the Pacific Highway, but who want to go that way?

This was our route, only 3km longer and presumably a better ride, but this was very disappointing due to the condition of much of the road between Singleton and Taree.

However the scenery was good.

On the Golden Way, somewhere between Cassillis and Merriwa (probably closer to Merriwa):

Excellent breakfast at the Merriwa Bakery:

On the road again:

We stayed at a Freesort (cousin's house) for three nights whilst we caught up with uncles, aunties, cousins, etc ....

If you stand on tippy-toes and lean off the second floor balcony (whilst Helen, or someone else his hanging on to your belt), you don't get this view:

You get that view on you pre-breakfast walk. Couldn't help mucking around with the colours.

Today's distance = 444km.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Sunday 7 April

Taree to Glen Innes via Oxley Highway and this route:

Taree to Wauchope (B) turn-off on the Pacific Freeway/Highway, four lanes divided, 100km/h & 110km/h speed limit. When NSW roads are good, they are very good, this was no exception. And when NSW drivers (NSW plates) drive fast, they drive very fast.

Wauchope to Gingers Creek (C) very tight, challenging, especially with a loaded CB and trailer - must go back one day and ride it unencumbered.

These views are really not adequate:

Turn right at Walcha, join New England Highway, bypass Armidale, passed these locations.

The highest caravan park in Australia (1,350m I think):

Approaching this location we had a first and only rain for the four weeks. Well, technically not rain, but hail. A short sharp dump, dry in a five minutes. Not surprising, it was the highest point on the New England Highway:

Overnight at the Central Hotel (aptly named) at Glen Innes, with one of the best meals (for the four weeks) at the RSL - the Surf 'n' Turf is highly recommended.

Today's distance = 405km.

Moyston

Getting the hang of this.
HI, how was oxley hwy into walca?. supposed to be going there fri for a lot of twist action on the tl...

Williamson

Part of the furniture
HI, how was oxley hwy into walca?. supposed to be going there fri for a lot of twist action on the tl...

Heading west from Wauchope it's fast, then not so fast (lots of twisties - 25km/h corners) either side of Gingers Creek, then very very fast to Walcha.
:):):):)

Lots of Police .......
:(:(:(:(

Top Bottom