carnarvon gorge (qld)

P

pragnasty

firstly a quick gday
names linz and touring qld where im based at the moment. i love getting to those faraway places and a way from the rat race.. so much of australia to see!! i ride a honda hornet 250 with a few mods been up to bowen and back before which ill post up :wink:
cheers glitch for the invite this site looks awesome.

bloody brilliant 2 weeks off work i had recently spent a week out west qld at carnarvon gorge.

beautiful part of austalia
went at the best time of the year beat the crowds... still a bit warm though

spent the first day travelling form the gold coast to miles my halfway point.. where i shacked up at the windsor hotel and drank beer all afternoon.. hard life ive got....
394.54 kms 5:25 Hours (apparently)
lost my 10lt fuel tank,, due to me placing it 2cms off my exhaust.. top marks for that... a burning smell in the middle of nowhere normally means its you... durrrrrrh

100_1461.jpg

top hospitality at the pub scored a free breaky in the morning and hit the road for carnarvon.

ive noticed on me trips out west.. people start waving (in cars) to you on the road... i was a bit taken aback at first.... but yeah funny ay? lol imagine everyone waving at you in the city ???? i dont think so ..
not much to see... mp3 player a must to beat the boredom.
sevendust rocks

no petrol from injune to carnarvon hence the 10l fuel tank... i could get in but not out haha....

384.33 kms 4:57 Hours
to carnarvon. last 20kms is pure gravel weetbix in consistency...

100_1469liscense.jpg

cows all over the road fantastic country though a few nice twisties on the way north through injune. lots of roos... mainly mooshed into the tarmac.
first time this city slickers seen a emu in the wild....

100_1520.jpg

spent two days out there... first day climbed the bluff 7kms return.. best view ever.. get in early beat the heat..

100_1481.jpg

100_1484.jpg

next day did a 25kms bushwalk.. im a sucker for punishment

100_1630.jpg

100_1629.jpg

100_1587.jpg

100_1524.jpg

100_1522.jpg

spent the rest of the day drinking whisky in the sun.....what a life...

100_1676.jpg

my favourite photo.. at the end of the beaten track.. big bend

100_1561.jpg

next day rode from carnarvon gorge all the way back to the gold coast
( did i say i was a sucker for punishment?? )
780 kms and about 12 hrs later.... very saddlesore...... very tired

100_1687.jpg

got caught in a rain storm at toowoomba and was soaked through from there.... theres nothing worse than a tinted visor, no vision at all, a crap song playing through your mp3 and wet jocks in a rainstorm

fun trip..... cant wait for my next.... 10/10
(i need to get some panniers)

250 tourer
photos album
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c258/pragnasty/carnarvon gorge/

Mod edit: image tags

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Good stuff !!

Thanks for popping in and posting it.
Looks still pretty much the same way as when we saw it last...in '83/'84.
What a great place...and how good to see that there is someone out there not afraid of 250-touring...by himself, too. And taking dirt-roads as part of the deal.
Hat off !
Go on...show us more of Qld. :D

S

stromboner

Hi Linz,
Enjoyed your write up. Great stuff.
Gotta question for ya...
I assume the Honda 250 is your bike of choice for this type of touring?
I'd be real interested in your opinion of the advantages of this particular bike.
Regards, Nigel

S

stromboner

PS,
One obvious advantage is that it will fit in the motel room!
Goodonya

P

pragnasty

gday stromboner

nah mate no particular reason for choosing the hornet...
came up cheap so i snapped it up.. its not really for touring on i guess.. be it the lack of fairing, small 13l fuel tank, no reserve, highrise exhaust which melts anything in contact with it, or the lack of power... :D

but its light (149kg dry), easy to manouvre, a fun little bike... ive pullled it apart a milion times so i know whats going wrong and how to fix it...i cant really hurt the thing either no matter how i try... :twisted:

i guess you just learn to adapt with what youve got. :D

but i reallllllllly want a vstrom..... :wink:

iffracem

The Phat Hairy Bloke
Mate.. excellent!!!

I reckon you should send this and your Bowen trip (read that one on some other un-named forum :wink: ) to Aust Road Rider. Not long ago they had a story about a young lass that rode a CB250 across the Nullabor from Sydney.

Keep it up Linz, good stuff.

JJ

S

stromboner

"but i reallllllllly want a vstrom..... "

It'd be bloody hard work getting it into the motel room.

Unless you rode it THROUGH the wall.

Thanks for the write up. In the final analysis it isn't the bike that counts, it's the rider.
Regards, Nigel

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
It'd be bloody hard work getting it into the motel room.

Unless you rode it THROUGH the wall.

Yup, quick and easy that way...and one of the easier tasks for the Strom :lol:

P

pragnasty

yup :p
gotta love being able to fit your bike in the room.
i sleep a lot easier that way couldnt leave rhonda in the cold by herself :lol:
... i was in rockhampton that day.....

you should have seen the motel owners face when i backed the bike out the room in the morning.... :lol: :lol:
i made sure i had everything packed on the bike so i could make a quick getaway :D

Top Bottom