Redundancy Ride

farawayman

Long Timer
After being made redundant the best thing I could think of to do with myself, was go for a ride. My first stop was Adelaide to visit family and then I was off proper.

Wednesday 5 August

Oz116.jpg

Oz114.jpg

Daverallyfan from ADV site suggested the ferry, it was a very smooth crossing and it cuts out the very boring road through Port Augusta. The ferry guys told me I was going the wrong way it seems quite a few used it on the way back from the border run.

Oz117.jpg

Oz118.jpg

I suddenly remembered, I had forgotten to pack a card reader with me, so thinking of you guys, I called into Kadina and asked for a USB SD card reader. Tonight, I find the card reader is not a USB one. There goes 20 bucks down the drain and you guys will just have to wait
It was a spectacular sunset viewed from the end of the pier with the full moon rising while the 3 blokes and one little girl were killing squid. A very nice night.

Oz130.jpg

Oz127.jpg

Oz128.jpg

Oz135.jpg

Oz138.jpg

Oz132.jpg

Oz142.jpg

More to come . . .

farawayman

Long Timer
Thursday 6 August

Bought a card reader in Port Lincoln and continued on to Coffin Bay. Cruised on through town and ended up at the boat ramp, boat ramps always interest me.

Oz153.jpg

Was a little surprised not with the boats or the boat trailers but what was pulling them.

Oz152.jpg

Then the oyster boys started coming home, Oysters stacked to the gunnels.

Oz154.jpg

No wonder they needed some horsepower to pull their boats out.

Oz155.jpg

Lake Hamilton Eating House, I was way to late

Oz147.jpg

Interesting cliffs around Streaky Bay

Oz145-1.jpg

Oz146.jpg

Whale and her calf just off the pier

Oz158.jpg

Camped the night just east of Nundroo

Oz160.jpg

Oz162.jpg

Oz163.jpg

More to come . . .

farawayman

Long Timer
Friday 7 August

Bolted across the Nullarbor, not a lot to see, stoped and saw the whales at the Head of the Bight. You could see a dozen or so and their calves just lazing around. The large swell wasn’t worrying them.

Oz164.jpg

Oz165.jpg

Oz166.jpg

According to the Ranger there where about sixty in the area. Later on I talked to the pilot of a plane parked at one of the roadhouses and he said they had counted 70 yesterday.

Oz167.jpg

It was hard to keep to the speed limit, long straight roads, boredom, the ever slowly changing scenery, the next thing I know there is a police car coming towards me flashing his headlights and some wildly indicating down with his finger. I don’t know what his problem was? I think he was trying to tell me his bag of donuts was bigger than mine or his car was faster or something.
He didn’t turn around to enlighten me. I did notice that the GS is not so economical at 130+ so I backed it off a bit. Of cause if I knew when my next paycheck was coming in, I wouldn’t have worried. :bs
Thanks mate, good to see the WA police aren’t as fixed on revenue collection as we’re so used to in Victoria. :clap:

Oz168.jpg

Oz169.jpg

Calguna sees the start to Australians longest straight road, 146.6 km dead straight, no corners no nothing.

Oz171.jpg

A little over an hour later . . .

Last edited:
H

Honda Honey

I went the Nullabor way when I was 6, don't remember being taken to see whales or anything remotely interesting. Great photos, the little girl and squid is excellent.
Looking forward to the next download....

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
:glu:glu:glu

Man...you know how to tickle that "Yearning-For-The-Road":drool:

Oz163.jpg

Dynamite pics, mate :clap::clap:
Keep rolling, buddy...I know you've gotta be in Darwin on the 21st

Wave rock, Esperance, the old whaling station at Albany, timber country around Pemberton, the vineyards at Margaret River...then all the stuff up the coast.:lao

I'm sure you're enjoying "temporary retirement" :so
Hope you can keep us updated from time to time..

farawayman

Long Timer
I stoped to take a photo of the sunset, see I was being good, and I still had half a hour to go in the dark.

Oz172.jpg

Oz173.jpg

Spent the night at Balladonia $30 Backpacker accommodation, I would have camped but I wanted to be in phone range, so I payed my 30 bucks and found no phone service. O well found a public phone and all I got from home, was the machine.
I was considering taking a shortcut to Esperance. 120 km shorter than going through Norseman but over half of it was dirt. I searched out a local to get the good oil on the track, he tried to talk me out of it, slippery and bog holes he said. I wasn’t convinced, but the heavy rain on the roof later that night had me heading for Norseman in the morning.

farawayman

Long Timer
Saturday 8 August

I stoped in on some rocks on the way, unimpressive really, but a small dam held some run off water. I walked around it to get a photo and to get the blood flowing to my butt.

IMG_08280.jpg

I walked across the wall and the clay grew under my boots so I knew we had had a reasonable amount of rain and I was glad of the decision made in the night. Besides I hate digging out the mud from under the mudguard with a stick. That usually means I’m covered in mud and I’ve had to pick the beast up.
O and phone service starts in Norseman.

A beautiful town is Esperance and the Cape Le Grand National Park is the jewel in her crown. Any ULYSSES guys going to the AGM in Albany plan a stop in Esperance, and if your camping, go out and camp at Lucky Bay that’s what I did. I could spend some time around here, but I am sure I will find other places where I will say the same thing.

IMG_08341.jpg

IMG_08352.jpg

IMG_08363.jpg

IMG_08374.jpg

IMG_08425.jpg

IMG_08456.jpg

IMG_08627.jpg

IMG_08638.jpg

IMG_08649.jpg

IMG_087514.jpg

IMG_087113.jpg

IMG_086912.jpg

IMG_086510.jpg

IMG_086711.jpg

More to come . . .

farawayman

Long Timer
Sunday 9 August

Lucky Bay is a hard place to leave, just a magnificent spot. I had to go and walk along the beach one more time.

IMG_08980.jpg

IMG_09031.jpg

Back to Esperance and off towards Albany. The plan was to turn off about half way and ride through the Sterling Range. Stoped for lunch at Jerramungup, everything is up in this joint stuffedup, muckedup and fuckedup is a few I didn’t find on the map, but everything else is there.
While I was relaxing a couple of guys on cruisers came in and sat at the next table. They had seen me going through Ravensthorpe, (that’s unusual no “up”) while they were refuelling. We chatted and as we were going the same direction we headed off together.
I will turn off and hit the dirt when I was ready.

IMG_09073.jpg

IMG_09094.jpg

IMG_09115.jpg

IMG_09136.jpg

IMG_09177.jpg

IMG_09188.jpg

IMG_09219.jpg

IMG_092210.jpg

IMG_092511.jpg

IMG_092812.jpg

IMG_093013.jpg

IMG_093214.jpg