2 stroms tackle Tassie and then take on each other!!

aussieflicker

aussieflicker
Adrian & I've just got back from a very quick blast around Northern Tassie. Left on Thurs pm and got back Mon pm. Had a great time & it was a pleasure to ride with Adrian again.

The route
Tassie_edited.jpg

The trip over was a bit boozy, we got back to our recliners so late that it was all dark and we couldn't work out how to make them recline - so we sort of forced them backwards - mine cracked.
Adrian after a beer or two
Tas-01.jpg

Got through Devonport and wound up in Penguin for brekky

Tas-02.jpg

Tas-03.jpg

Then off to Wynard. Great scenery and perfect weather - in fact we had no rain apart from 10 mins after we'd put the tents up on the West Coast

Wynard Head
Tas-04.jpg

The boys
Tas-05.jpg

Then for lunch at Stanley - friendly guy asked us where we were from and going

Strom at the Nut
Tas-06.jpg

We then headed south to Edith Creek to find the western Explorer.

Montagu river
Tas-08.jpg

Sign after Arthur River bridge on Sumic road - hint - turn right!!
Tas-07.jpg

Adrian on Western Explorer - great road - no dramas
Tas-13.jpg

Set up camp near a stream
Tas-09.jpg

Tas-10.jpg

Tas-11.jpg

Woke up bright & early to continue South
Tas-12.jpg

Tas-19.jpg

Got to the Pieman river, chatting to the barge operator - he was from Mandurah in WA - (small world - where my daughter was born). Living in a bus with his wife and travelling around

"Arcadia" river boat at Corinna - use to be a gunboat in PNG during WWII
Tas-14.jpg

Tas-16.jpg

Tas-15.jpg

On to Strahan for a Coffee - took 30 mins to get the coffee :bang:

Adrian after Zeehan
Tas-18.jpg

Stroms at Strahan
Tas-17.jpg

Had to get our skates on so we headed East to get to Derwnet Bridge for lunch
Tas-20.jpg

Tas-21.jpg

Eventually got to Dee lagoon to set up camp - great location. saw a few trout rising but they were too far out to cast to.
Tas-23.jpg

Tas-22.jpg

Next day, headed off to Miena, along the way stopped off at Little Pine Lagoon - reputably australia's best fly water
Tas-24.jpg

Headed down the Western Tiers then we lost each other - i thought we had arranged to meet in Poatina, but as I got my helmet off, i hear a strom go past on the by-pass road. So I jumped back on and gunned it afterr Adrian - no luck in finding him as I found out later that he'd taken a different road. Thanks to mobile phones we arranged to meet in Avoca for lunch. By this time I'd gone down to Campbell town and had to go North up the Midland Highway. As I was approaching the intersection with the Avoca road from the South I saw the familair spotlights on Adrian's bike heading South down the Highway - we greeted each other like long lost souls - blamed each other for the cock up and headed off to lunch
Tas-25.jpg

We decided to head off to Mathinna by way of Rossgarden and Mangana. Thing were going well - great road- interesting sights (old mines etc). Trouble was I led the way out of Mangana on the wrong road. It went the right way but gor progressively worse. Very stoney - very steep - was ok going up but would be a bastard going down. Still the stroms made it to the top
Tas-26.jpg

I'd just got to the top of the track had stopped on a better bit of road
Tas-29.jpg

When the strom equivalent of this happened
roomate.jpg

Causing this to Adrian's bike
Tas-27.jpg

Tas-28.jpg

Laughed? - we nearly shat!

:poo:

Luckily no damage to us and only a right brake lever + few other things on mine so off we went - we were still talking!!!:cdle

Got lost again (the "down" had knocked the card out of my GPS but eventually got to Mathinna (not really worth it) and headed off to Deloraine passing through some great looking scenery in the upper Esk valley

Upper Blessington
Tas-30.jpg

Had a few sherbets at the "Olde English Inne" ( no English beer )
:chug:

Then off to Devonport to catch the ferry next morning.

Leaving Tassie
Tas-31.jpg

Sunset over You Yangs
Tas-32.jpg

Arriving at Melbourne
Tas-33.jpg

This was a great trip - a "taster" I want to go again - at least a week.

Thanks Adrain for the company and wine!

Jeremy

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Tas-30.jpg

:glu:glu
....and no quick climb up Jacobs Ladder (Ben Lomond)?
You've GOTTA go back!!
A month...minimum :chug:

You BOTH came off? :eek::eek:

adriano

Just through the door
i want to go back!

What a bloody great trip!:clap:1200km's in excellent weather through some of dog's best country.

Jeremy's done a great job with pics, and story - including our bingle.

On a whim about 6 weeks ago, after seeing a few adverts for cheaper tickets on the ferry to Tassie I booked the beast and myself a berth over the easter break. Then, remembering a conversation with Jeremy about enjoying camping, i decided to see if he was keen - 24hrs later i had a travelling companion.

We spent ages planning every last detail.....hmmmmm... make that at least 20 minutes:whistle:

So we rock up waaaay toooooo early for the Ferry - I think we were both really keyed up for it.

p742406798.jpg

Then, as planned - we needed solve the worlds ills

p552541363.jpg

after these, the 'recliner' seat controllers defeated us - so at 5am we were ready to hit the ground running - and the weather looked purrrrrrfect.

Here's J in the hold as we docked
with some experienced Tassie racers

p735560825.jpg

After a few laps of devenport looking for a decent Brecky, we settled on a lap of the Mall, and an ANZ ATM top up, and headed for the Western Explorer. We hugged the coast, and the villages and roads reminded me of my times spent travelling some parts of the coast of England - rich farmland, small villages, and narrow roads - except the weather was sunny:wow:

p1073368921.jpg

p629240025.jpg

p917545214.jpg

p542485334.jpg

Then, after topping off the tanks after Stanley - we headed for the western explorer - a dirt road only recently constructed, with significant opposition from greenies. As an aside - it's been done very well, and as a consequence of the opposition, there are very, very few places to camp a long it's reach - quite purposefully so I would guess - but we found a few likely spots - including our first overnighter

p747896893.jpg

the following morning with ice on the screens and seats

p788123318.jpg

The western explorer has been topped with Silicon from a nearby mine, and it's a great grippy white surface - quite unlike gravel.

p667878282.jpg

p687219719.jpg

Just before the ferry at Carrina (sp?) Jeremy nearly wore a 4wd - that said, we saw very, very little traffic the whole way round, and were only held up in twisties on one occassion for a total of 5 minutes in 1200 kms = remarkable???

p552145160.jpg

then on the wide, fast run into Zeehan. J's the much more accomplished rider than I - and as an experienced Farm manager, used to dealing in %'ages - J told me i was approx. 10% slower....... as the incident later in the trip unfolded, I wish i was 30% slower.....:doh::wink:

p840872399.jpg

and another fast run into Stachan

p1035616446.jpg

p862359211.jpg

some fortunates off on a flying trip to the Franklin River?

p1038029417.jpg

It was remarkable the ride through the Franklin Gorge - think of the Dandenongs x 1,000 - not so much the road - but the sense of timelessness - almost primordial, and damp as heck - but firm under the rubber.

My Kids are grown, but I think Jeremy had a strong sense of easter :bt

Thanks J!

p862617288.jpg

On this tastey note, I'll call it a night and pick it up tomorrow.

ciao, adrian

Choccoloco.

Getting the hang of it
So Jeremy has this fascination with oncoming traffic hey....:rolleyes: Leaving Cobar last year in Yathong national park he tried a Semi :looney:

Ah Jeremy, you coming to Coffin Bay? What's next on the hit list :icon-maffick-:

KingStrom

Long Timer
Ah, another 2 who have been to the Apple Isle and been "seduced" by the lovely roads and sights of the place!! I have been there 3 times on 3 different bikes and had a ball everytime. I'm yet to meet a rider who hasn't come back from there raving about the place to all who will listen.

adriano

Just through the door
Colour film in Adrians camera. Wonders will never cease. :D

Great reports and photos guys.

Cheers Guys, and K1W1 here's one from the old cam at our Dee Lagoon camp spot :gday:
p768195081.jpg

Ok - after growing our own coffee and the hot x buns in Strahan, we were off to Queenstown for a fill up, and up the twisties - I googled this one:
GaryB&W+037.jpg

now back to the colour cam, and next stop Derwent Bridge - after a 20sec look at the local for lunch, we headed to the Park service, Lake St Clair 'lodge' - and we were not disappointed - huge helpings and a good conversation with Bill & Ben from Flowerpot (only in Tassie :thumbs:). Here's Jeremy at Lake St Clair, and then our camp spot on Dee Lagoon - I think the 'vision' had been set....?

p1054061348.jpg

and at Dee Lagoon 3hrs? later

p1035558412.jpg

Dee Lagoon was a late find this day, and this particular spot came with wood waiting for late arrivals like us:

p972144634.jpg

to watch the sun set, and swap stories

p1013077086.jpg

and see what some of the abundant road kill looked like before the event

p1070952534.jpg

after breakfast - a breath before hiting the track again

p685772469.jpg

now this event was scary...... I thought Jeremy was 20kms infront of me, and we mobiled to meet in Avoca - only to hit this intersection 40kms west at exactly the same time......:chug:

p1051634338.jpg

J hit 148 to get here, and my inadvertant top was 155..... panniers? - what panniers ;-)

Then after Avoca, the MC Australian touring atlas suggested a few side roads - excellent twisties, but some piss poor road conditions after about 20kms - gravel and pot holes....

NEVER follow your Garmin or Tom Tom blindly...... we found ourselves on a 6' wide track littered with leaves, branches, rocks and at about 10% gradient for 4km, with no sign of having been travelled for.......hmmmmmm......ever - not even by trail bikes... At the first level area I think we both dismounted shaking in our boots - at least i was.

This track exited steeply up onto a wonderfully wide dirt road about 2kms futher on (Tower Hill Road?), and i couldn't wait to hit it, and or anything else in the way :bang:

p924575018.jpg

p920285990.jpg

my immediate concern was Jeremy, and his foot underneath the bike - All was OK and he all but laughed, but i know we were both shaken by the whole experience, and tired.

The ride out and around Ben Lomand (sp?) through to Devonport had some pieces of magic, but riding into full low sun was just plain bad news - so Jeremy made the wise exec. decision to lead us into Deloraine, and a welcome sight :chug:

p618512252.jpg

and onto the ferry on a lake called Bass Straight at 9am the next morning

p1054485471.jpg

and sailing into the sunset, dreaming of how and for how long we could get back to this biking paradise

p915508783.jpg

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
:clap::clap::clap:

I'm a real sucker for shots like this...TOP STUFF!!

p1013077086.jpg

Thanks to both of you for the yarns and some superb shots....fires up the dreams again!

Top Bottom