Looking back - 2005 Tassie Gems.

nev

Super Térrarist
This week is 10 years since the first Tassie Gems Ride - Nov 2005. I have a feeling that ride was only a few weeks before Austouring.com was started.

There is a thread in the archives for it, but none of the image links work
http://austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795

So I'll delved into my photo archive from that trip just to relive a few of the memories and the people.

A rollcall (after analysing photos)

Glitch - Vstrom
Goodie - Pegaso
Garry - Pegaso
Tim - GSXR1000
Marty - Vstrom
Sashs - Hyundai (under doctors instructions not to ride her Guzzi because of her back)
Deano (pnut) VTR1000
Matt - CBR1000RR
Loz - CB900
Jason - VFR800
Karel - Vstrom
Gunner - VStrom
Andy - SV650
Jo - F650CS
Me - ZX12R

Sarah - flew in for a few days to be pillion on the VFR

Tassie Dave - 955 Tiger
Tassie Tim - Caponard
Dave and Tim met Met us for Day 1 and 2 then went home. Tim Joined us again out to Strathgordon and back.

Smack - Duc 600SS and
Conehead - (was he in his car or riding his F1150GS ?) met us in Richmond for the run up the hills out of Hobart

We met at station pier on a Friday evening.

Saturday - Devonport to Wynyard via cradle mountain

Sunday - Wynyard to Zeehan (the dirties went down the western explorer and the rest went via Hellyer Gorge and Lake Pieman

Monday - Zeehan to Queenstown (a short day because we spent a few hours in the Henty dunes on quadbikes in a couple of shifts)

Tuesday - Queenstown to Richmond

Wednesday - Richmond to Strathgordon and return

Thursday - Hobart to Bicheno

Friday - Bicheno to Launceston

Saturday - Launceston to Devonport

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
This week is 10 years since the first Tassie Gems Ride - Nov 2005. I have a feeling that ride was only a few weeks before Austouring.com was started.

So I'll delved into my photo archive from that trip just to relive a few of the memories and the people.

A rollcall (after analysing photos)

Glitch - Vstrom
Goodie - Pegaso
Garry - Pegaso
Tim - GSXR1000
Marty - Vstrom
Sashs - Hyundai (under doctors instructions not to ride her Guzzi because of her back)
Deano (pnut) VTR1000
Matt - CBR1000RR
Loz - CB900
Jason - VFR800
Karel - Vstrom
Gunner - VStrom
Andy - SV650
Jo - F650CS
Me - ZX12R

Sarah - flew in for a few days to be pillion on the VFR

Tassie Dave - 955 Tiger
Tassie Tim - Caponard
Dave and Tim met Met us for Day 1 and 2 then went home. Tim Joined us again out to Strathgordon and back.

Smack - Duc 600SS and
Conehead - (was he in his car or riding his F1150GS ?) met us in Richmond for the run up the hills out of Hobart

Conehead....was on a Cagiva Raptor, I think....could be wrong though, but I've still got a mental pic of the bike and him at the carpark of the Richmond Bridge.

Loz had just come out of his prang on the little Honda V25 cruiser on the GOR, where he nearly went under a tourist-bus...and was wobbling around on that Hornet like a limp ^%$# in a tornado.

Gunner blew the intake throat rubber off the rear cylinder on the only grey-metallic Strom in Oz...on the Blessington Rd. across from Mathinna to Ben Lomond...and there were some timber trucks out on that road to scare the living shyte out of us.
Some ZX12 "lost its cool" on the return leg from Strathgordon...there was a chairlift ride in the Launceston Gorge...we scratched some pegs on the Grasstree Hill twisties when it still was a 100 zone (slobber)...we saw Matt (rip, mate) at the wotitsname biker-hangout in Hobart!!

Met up with the roadies somewhere north of Launnie at some CP-cabins that night....Deanno with his gaffer-taped crotch and all.
Man, it was a cracker!!
And the "bowling"-shirts!!!
Still got yours??:doh::doh:

:bs:killingme

And yeah...AT was born a few months later during a BBQ in Frankston and a few beers on a stinking hot Sat afternoon in February....
Jeezaz, what a fortnight it was!! :glu:glu

And the pics will work again when my server is back online again.,...give it a day or 2.

Here are some of them from another server....and check the first post for a "Conehead" reference.
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
037.jpg

Hmmmm...

052.jpg

Matt 232 and....Loz?
060.jpg

...and Goodie's busted accelerator cable on the last day, running tight for the ferry....somewhere in the backblocks of Mole Creek....I think someone called Nev did a few extra miles there.... :)

065.jpg

nev

Super Térrarist
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796

I think that post has so many good photos I don't really need to go through my own collection.

Conehead....was on a Cagiva Raptor, I think....could be wrong though, but I've still got a mental pic of the bike and him at the carpark of the Richmond Bridge.

Yep that's right. He branged the 1150GS and hurt his back and his doctor told him he'd never ride again so he sold the GS, and was pretty pissed off not long after when his back came good again and then he bought the Cagiva. He was in the grip of cancer when he rode out to meet us on the Tassie Gems. He had it up for sale 2 months later when Jo and I visited his house on our next tassie (for Cat's funeral in Jan '06) and Conehead passed away in March '06.

Some ZX12 "lost its cool" on the return leg from Strathgordon...there was a chairlift ride in the Launceston Gorge...we scratched some pegs on the Grasstree Hill twisties when it still was a 100 zone (slobber)...we saw Matt (rip, mate) at the wotitsname biker-hangout in Hobart!!
Matt was at Joe's Garage. My ZX12R also busted a Ventura rack on the way from Queenstown to Richmond, and someone rode into a bike shop in Queenstown to collect a new one for me.

And the "bowling"-shirts!!!
Still got yours??:doh::doh:

:bs:killingme

Yeah, but you need a new supplier. That has really shrunk just hanging up in the wardrobe :p

Hytram

<-- now went that way

I have all those photos on file, just looked

sadly I lost almost all of the martyh.com web content a few years back when my provider deleted my content and I didn't have it backed up, but I still have all the photos on file

I see if I can upload them and get them working as the file names seem to be the same

its something I have been meaning to do for a year or so

###EDIT...

uploaded the photos, they are now back up

Last edited:

nev

Super Térrarist
I realise this thread hasn't been updated for 4 1/2 years but... we still have ours.

tassiegems.jpg

Someone will have to organise a 15yr reunion in November by invitation only if you still have your shirt. Might not be anyone attending if the rule is you have to still fit into it 15 yrs later haha.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I realise this thread hasn't been updated for 4 1/2 years but... we still have ours.

tassiegems.jpg

Someone will have to organise a 15yr reunion in November by invitation only if you still have your shirt.

Ohhh yeaaah!! Wouldn't that be something??

IN!

It'll need a wash to get rid of the dust, though...
(Goodie's still rooting around for hers upstairs right now :D)

TG05.JPG

Might not be anyone attending if the rule is you have to still fit into it 15 yrs later haha.

Oops:whistle:

Seriously...what a great idea!:clap:
We'd have to get the pics out to check who went along for that one....I could get hold of a few guys but have lost contact to many/ most?
Oops, just saw the list in the first post of the thread...

gunner

:btOhhh yeaaah! I still have main, nicely wash in the Wardrobe. And it will fit.:killingme

TG05.JPG

Thats' not my Shirt. Pete you remember my Shirt had a stuffed up Pocket.

Oops:whistle:

Seriously...what a great idea!:clap:
We'd have to get the pics out to check who went along for that one....I could get hold of a few guys but have lost contact to many/ most?[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom