USA / CAN / USA Road Report

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Sunday 26 to Friday 31

Mariposa to San Francisco to Medford - generally stuck to the freeways and highways, did lots of touristy things, got lost in Stockton (not recommended that you find yourself on the wrong side of the tracks, literally).

According to Wikipedia, Stockton's claim to fame includes:

* In February 2009, and again in February 2011, Stockton was named "America's Most Miserable City" by Forbes, reflecting the city's issues with commuting times, violent crime rates, income tax levels, and unemployment rates. Stockton had placed second in this listing in 2008.

* In a 2010 Gallup poll, Stockton was tied with Montgomery, Alabama for the most obese metro area in the US with an obesity rate of 34.6 percent.

* Nick and Nate Diaz, who are MMA fighters fighting under the UFC promotional banner, are also famously from the "209" Stockton, California.

I post this to encourage any AusTourers touring the USA, to avoid Stockton.

On to San Fran, we stayed in Lombard Street, over four days we walked to Union Square, half the crooked street, Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, toured topless, took e ferry to Alcatraz, a Cable Car, ate pizza, clam chowder and plenty of other sea food.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Some pics to go with Sunday 26 to Friday 31.

Cable Car:

Alcatraz:

The Haight - Ashbury District:

The crooked and steep part of Lombard Street:

More to come ......

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
.... Stockton was named "America's Most Miserable City" by Forbes, ....Stockton was tied with Montgomery, Alabama for the most obese metro area in the US with an obesity rate of 34.6 percent.

So whadda ya saying?
St. Helena isn't as bad as you always thought?:killingme

:drool::drool: I want one of them to turn the bikes around in the backyard!
Keep it rolling, please...this is a good yarn to start a day with! :clap:

Roberts really do Do It Best :so

Of course :bs :thumbs:

Williamson

Part of the furniture
.... Keep it rolling, please...

Shyte, I'm about 10 days behind. I have tell yuse more about some other stuff like Crater Lake, Portland, Vancouver, Vancouver Island, some awful snow storm we drove through and Lake Louise (where we are now).

Stand by, more pics in next post .......

Williamson

Part of the furniture
On the road from San Francisco to Medford, I think we saw more trucks, motor homes and RV's than we have in all of Australia.

Some of the motor homes and RV's are really decked-out. It's nothing to see them towing a little Daewoo, Suzuki, etc, some go one or two, or more up in size of the towed vehicle.

This guy takes the cake:

That's a Chevy Silverado .......

OMG! WTF!!! OIA!!!

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Lost track of the days .....

Medford to Portland via Crater Lake

Brunch at Union Creek consisted of "homemade" beef and vegetable soup, very nice, and a roast beef sandwich, very huge. The latter consisted of a two slices of sweet bread, too many cuts of beef covered in mash potato and gravy - all for $15:00, plus tax, plus tip.

Union Creek

Would've by-passed Crater Lake if not for a recommendation from Pete.

The road 'in' and 'out' at this stage of the extended snow season.

Crater Lake

[/[URL=http://s643.photobucket.com/user/williamson_photos/media/USA%20CAN%202017/554BE4D6-62B5-49DA-A1F5-D36FC6718932_zpscceftutp.jpg.html]

More to come ......

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Lost track of the days .....

Medford to Portland via Crater Lake

Brunch at Union Creek

Pics 3+4 not showing up, wrong link?
Hope you've had a chance to do the quick walk from the Cafe carpark to the gorge of the Rogue River, right next to the road.

Crater Lake in the snow, WOWW....:glu:glu:drool:

Top Bottom