Welcome to Boring, Oregon.

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
Did you guys acclimatise yourselves prior to the ascent? I was thinking of staying a night or two in Colorado Springs or even a bit higher - at 6,000 to 8,000, might even get to join the mile high club.

:wot: Oh, thats better, I misread your comment Willo, I though you said after aclimatising yourself prior,you were thinking it would take a night or two to reach an ascent then you might even get to join the Mile High Club..
I hope it all works out:thumbs:

nev

Super Térrarist
Did you guys acclimatise yourselves prior to the ascent? I was thinking of staying a night or two in Colorado Springs or even a bit higher - at 6,000 to 8,000, might even get to join the mile high club.

I may be wrong but as far as I know the only way of acclimating to altitude it to go to that altutude (or get in a hypobaric chamber and simulate that altitude).

We stayed in Colorado Springs the night prior. I wouldn't worry about trying to acclimating. Just drive to the top and if you feel queezy just drove a few miles back down the road and you'll feel fine again. there's really nothing at the top except a gift shop and the train/tram stop. there are spectacular views from various points on the road. when we were there the air was quite hazy so the photos from the summit were not as good as those we took lower down.

nev

Super Térrarist
and then we commuted back in heavy saturday afternoon traffic to drop off the bikes.

The GPS screenshot sums up the whole bike trip in a few numbers.

47.jpg

I discovered that all the photos in this thread from our trip 4 years ago were linked via Google photos and most of the links were broken due to Google changing their privacy policies a while back, so I have painstakingly gone back and relinked the photos to a privately hosted link instead so 99% of the photo links are fixed.

In reflection, I also realised that I omitted a very important detail of this trip. After riding 10,111 km, we pulled into the carpark of the BMW dealership where the bike rental company had their office, and I parked my bike in one of the parking spaces, next to a couple of other riders who were just unloading their rental bikes from their trip, and I saw them suddenly react to something and rush behind me, and as I looked around, there was Jo, lying on the ground, having had a 0kph drop while turning into the parking spot, a mere 12 metres or so from the conclusion of the trip.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
.... most of the links were broken due to Google changing their privacy policies a while back, so I have painstakingly gone back and relinked the photos to a privately hosted link instead so 99% of the photo links are fixed.

Oh man, what a job!:eek:
Big thanks for fixing the yarn (which has got me suckered in again, just the right stuff for a wet + freezing Sunday)

... as I looked around, there was Jo, lying on the ground, having had a 0kph drop while turning into the parking spot, a mere 12 metres or so from the conclusion of the trip.

Maybe you pushed her 111.4km too far :bs

Williamson

Part of the furniture
..... there was Jo, lying on the ground, having had a 0kph drop while turning into the parking spot, a mere 12 metres or so from the conclusion of the trip.

I'm sure Jo is pleased you shared this little snippet of info, but I suppose this is how many drops occur.

I've had a few drops I've had in recent years at the start or end of a ride, slow speed manoeuvres, loose surface, feet slipping from underneath, and generally once the bike gets to lean to the point of no return, down it (and rider) go.

Happened a few months back to a colleague on OzSTOC, refuelling at a servo, foot lost traction, down went bike, rider and pillion. Result no damage to bike, sprained wrist for pillion, busted hip for rider. Hip replacement, a coupla months rehab, and back riding.

nev

Super Térrarist
Oh man, what a job!:eek:
Big thanks for fixing the yarn (which has got me suckered in again, just the right stuff for a wet + freezing Sunday)

Yeah, after the first couple of posts I was in a rhythm it probably had it down to about 10 minutes per post/day, and then resizing them all back from original size to something a bit more forum friendly, so probably 6-8 hours work, but I did get to revisit just about every one of the 1200+ photos I took on the trip, which was a great ride back down memory lane.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
..... drive to the top and if you feel queezy just drove a few miles back down the road and you'll feel fine again.....

The highest we got to was at Hoosier Pass, near Breckenridge. Even at 11,539ft, Helen was not feeling well, so we crossed Pikes Peak and Mt Evans off our list. We didn't think it prudent to go another 3,000ft higher.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Yeah, after the first couple of posts I was in a rhythm it probably had it down to about 10 minutes per post/day, and then resizing them all back from original size to something a bit more forum friendly, so probably 6-8 hours work, but I did get to revisit just about every one of the 1200+ photos I took on the trip, which was a great ride back down memory lane.

:wot:
...but the result is great!

Top Bottom