Openroader's 2015 Feb Frolic Eskdale

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Start a 1,000km weekender ride at a brewery? Brilliant!

Not really, but there is a bakery next door.

A fairly clean run through the Black Spur and eventually through Alexandra before the Skyline Rd beckoned.

It was right dusty and very slippery but everyone including the guys on the supersports bikes made it through in good time.

Fuzzy looking flash.

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Re: Feb 21/22 Openroader's 2015 Feb Frolic Eskdale

Mansfield for fuel and then a merry chase to Whitfield where we were met by the self proclaimed happiest man in Myrtleford. G’day Famous Rog….

Gary noted the irony as we split the ride into two groups. The roadies on their sportsbikes turned right towards the dirt that leads to Lake Buffalo while the dusties on our adventure bikes turned left and followed the bitumen towards Moyhu….

…well, not for very long before we hooked right into the forest.

Lake Buffalo.

We were invited to a party.

Miss KT put on a country feast for us for lunch at her new house just out of Myrtleford. I have no photos but someone should chime in with them. Brilliant lunch.

Bellies full. Tanks were filled in Bright.

Finally some cool atop Mt Hotham. We think Faz’s KLR spent the entire run up the hill bouncing off the rev limiter.

More fuel at Omeo and it was onto the Blue Duck (or as it was renamed later in the night, the Blue Turtle…)

Chasing Gary on the KTM 1190 Adventure I had one of my all time top 4 bitumen rides. I don’t think Mr Mitas had that type of bitumen burning in mind when he created the E07s. Squiggly squiggle squirm squirm…

The rest of the ride into Mitta Mitta was an absolute hoot. Mitta Mitta was a wash with classic Japanese bikes and a hoard of adventure bikes. We didn’t hang around, it was beer oclock.

The beer was cold. The meals were huge!

A pretty quiet night all round. Big things were planned for Sunday…

Sir Francis

Displaced person

Wandering around Easkdale early Sunday morning.

The caravan park is a bit of a secret gem.

The ride split into two. The roadies took a relatively direct all bitumen route towards Melbourne. The depleted dusties (me, Gary, Brad and Faz) took to the dirt towards Tawonga (cobblers track?) after we’d poured about 3 litres of oil into the KLR…. Fuzzy had done an early morning dash for home and Big Rob couldn’t decide roady or dusty….unfortunately the roadies had left without him…

More work on the KLR.

Whilst others watched on…

We made the mistake of stopping for coffee in Bright. 45 minutes and numerous approaches to the staff we still didn’t have our order….

Anyway, Lake Buffalo beckoned again.

Gary and I had a looong wait at Cheshunt before heading back to find Faz increasing the value of the KLR….

A clean ride up the hill to Mansfield, a drone to Bonnie Doon and then it was back onto the dirt.

The police were waiting for us in Alexandra. Too funny, we simply turned into a side street 50m before them and did a blockie…

Dang hot.

The Tiger got to howl the Acheron Way. And we finished up at another bakery.

Trip distance: 1,009km for me.

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Faz: Is this far enough off the road to be called off-road riding….? W-)

Now where did the road go….? I better ask for directions… :doh:

Bugger that! That’s too far to push, I’ll ride back to the road…. :bs

twowheeler

two wheels are best
An entertaining RR :clap: .

Where did the guy in the blue top & bare feet appear from ? (in the final pics - 'quote' is not working for me).

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Fuzzy looking flash
P1040837-L.jpg

Does he ever!! (whistle!) :thumbs:

The caravan park is a bit of a secret gem. ..... dirt towards Tawonga (cobblers track?)]
Trappers?

And yeah, the tiny Eskdale CP is a cutie. Top spot and used to be pretty cheap, too.

Thanks for the 2day zapper in pics and words....but Faz, man...we've gotta do something about that temperamental (or just mental?) KLR :killingme:killingme
Hope you're getting things back together for next w/e!

Killswitch

aka Faztudo, Dunkin etc
Hi Pete, thanks for your message. Yes, the KLR has been quite mental. If it wasn't for the fact that it otherwise runs smoothly and is loads of fun, it would have been replaced by a Tiger! I spent the best part of my day off on Tuesday installing the crashbars, bash plate and getting it ready for the weekend so finally it is ready. The electrical issue I was having seems to have disappeared for now; and may have been due to a lose battery terminal. If it reappears I'll have to take it for a proper diagnosis. Total cost of repair came to $123.90 but I still need to buy the right fairing but can't seem to find one second hand :p

Anyway, I look forward to riding with you all.

Tim - thank you for uploading those beautiful photos and for your fun and entertaining comments. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

See you gents on Saturday:)

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Hi Pete, thanks for your message. Yes, the KLR has been quite mental. If it wasn't for the fact that it otherwise runs smoothly and is loads of fun, it would have been replaced by a Tiger! I spent the best part of my day off on Tuesday installing the crashbars, bash plate and getting it ready for the weekend so finally it is ready. The electrical issue I was having seems to have disappeared for now; and may have been due to a lose battery terminal. If it reappears I'll have to take it for a proper diagnosis. Total cost of repair came to $123.90 but I still need to buy the right fairing but can't seem to find one second hand :p

Anyway, I look forward to riding with you all.

Tim - thank you for uploading those beautiful photos and for your fun and entertaining comments. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

See you gents on Saturday:)

After Tim and "Rubber is overrated" and Fuzzy's "brakes are overrated" I can only lamely join the chorus with "fairings are overrated" :bs
Don't worry about plastic fluff...it's just extra weight. Take the other side off as well (perhaps with a bit more patience, some tools and a coldie this time) to let the sucker BREATHE!:thumbs:

[ Looking around]:
OIIII, guys!!! LISTEN HERE!! :killingme:killingme
He called us knuckleheads "GENTS" !!!
Now, that's class!!:eek:
Let's buy him a beer in Yarragon, aye?
:clap::clap::clap:

Looking forward to the weekend, hooray!

Top Bottom