Andrew made me do it

nev

Super Térrarist
That's a great read and some great photos.. I blame Andrew2 also because after reading his ride report, I've got the bug to go off-bitumen-ing and get my Buell out into the bush. If this weather holds up, and it looks like it should, I'll be heading out to the Thomson National park for a few hundred km of dirt Wednesday/Thursday this week and probably camp in Aberfeldy area. Unfortunately the Buell only has a 16.7 litre tank which has a reasonable range of about 300km, but needs high octane so there'll be a detour back into civilisation at some stage to fill 'er up with the good stuff about a 80km return trip from Rawson-Tyers-Walhalla. Might throw a bottle of octane boost in my bag too just in case I venture too far away from PULP.

The first dirt road ride I did on this bike after I bought it was to Woods Point and back, and I remember what the quality of the road there was like, so if that was as bad as the roads get I'm pretty sure I'll get on quite well... I have been a bit hesitant about going out by myself on unknown forest roads but I asked the question in ADVrider and I get the feeling the roads will be in better condition than I expect... plus I've had a few months more dirt road riding experience now.

Last edited:
W

warnabrother

Dont worry, I do have my eye on the 400 but a 400 will not sit on the hwy at 110kmh as well as the 650..

I do agree the 400 is a better dirt bike, but I still have to get to and from.

I will have to ride both

my 400 sat plenty well on the freeway at 110kph..

I still feel the DR650 has too large a crossover patch with the DL that it's not worth it..
the suspenion is really crap.. the seat is just as bad as the DRZ.. and it's a heavy pig..
the DRZ suspenion is MUCH better.. and with the right gearing (simple front sprocket swap) can be a singletrack machine one day and a commuter the next..

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
Nice report Greg.It's a pity you did'nt make the Pinnacles but it gives us an excuse for a ride when you get back to the South Coast.

A2

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
I'm considering a DR650 as well.They make a great all roads touring bike.Cheap with heaps of after market gear for them.

A2

W

wobbler

Nice report Greg.It's a pity you did'nt make the Pinnacles but it gives us an excuse for a ride when you get back to the South Coast.

A2

Could be a bit chilly by then Andrew.

Plus I will only have the weekend to get back.

Top Bottom