Jumbuk and Traralgon Creek roads

a86

Getting the hang of it
Last tuesday I investigated Jumbuk road and Traralgon creek road. I nearly took the 650 because there is a fair bit of bitumen, but due to the unknown condition of the dirt sections I took the 250.

I was also trying the Panasonic Lumix geotagging camera for the first time.

Jumbuk road starts way back at Yinnar, with a few kays of straight, flat bitumen before it starts to climb.

P1000025.jpg

The 250 seems to be coping with the trauma of having its nice mauve fork gaiters replaced with dowdy black ones.

P1000026.jpg

Now gaining some height, that is the Latrobe valley back there.

P1000028.jpg

Here is where the dirt starts, at the settlement of Jumbuk. It is nice to see that something exists, as many of these places are just names on the map, with no trace remaining of the previous habitation.

P1000029.jpg

Another interesting looking road that I will need to investigate.

P1000031.jpg

The junction of Jeeralang West road and Traralgon Creek road.

P1000032.jpg

This gives some idea of the work that went into cutting roads that are now hardly used into the steep hillsides.

P1000034.jpg

There are plenty of landslips, luckily none bad enough to block the road. There were a lot of trees down, taking part of the bank with them, but luckily someone with a chainsaw had been through.

P1000036.jpg

A partially successful attempt to convey how deep and steep the gully is. The camera is pointed not far off the vertical.

P1000037.jpg

Getting closer to the creek. In this area the fires were hot enough to knock off the epicormic buds, so the eucs have not regenerated. Interestingly the response of the tree ferns was "let's party".

P1000039.jpg

I would have been worried about trying this crossing on the strom out here alone as the far side is quite steep and there are big rocks on the bottom. The nimble 250 took it in its stride. The pipes suggest that there was a dam wall here with the road on the top. The creek had no respect for such feeble works of mankind.

P1000042.jpg

A nice bit of flat winding dirt.

P1000044.jpg

Back onto the bitumen.

In conclusion, Jumbuk road, in conjunction with Jeeralang West road, is a high quality gravel route up to the Grand Ridge. Traralgon Creek road could be done on the strom as long as at least one member of the group was happy with that creek crossing.

I only saw one instance of wildlife and it was one of the much feared al-qaeda suicide wallabies! Luckily it had not been properly trained to compensate for my braking so it missed my front wheel by several millimetres.

The Lumix worked nicely except for the GPS, which only got a fix automatically when it decided that it felt like it. This meant that when the photos came into Trimble Outdoors there were groups of them on top of each other. In future I will need to force it to acquire its position at each photo, which is irritatingly slow.

Track below, photos that are off the track have been manually positioned to an approximate location.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/1337331

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Another interesting looking road that I will need to investigate.

P1000031.jpg

Oreillys Hill Rd, maybe?
Seems an interesting little lap....tks for the route and pics, this looks good for one of those summer-sundays :thumbs:

You do guided tours ? :wink:

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Some nice pic there.

I've done some of those roads and tracks in the Falcon ute, and some in the Triton 4x4, and even some in Mrs W's Mazda 6 (she wasn't too happy about that).

One time in the 4x4 in some pretty rough stuff we met a a bloke on a very well travelled BMW R75 (or something similar) doing it pretty hard. We chatted briefly, I asked if he was okay, he said yeah and that he's loving it and he'll be okay. He left with a grin and a wave, and we watched until he rounded the next bend and was out of sight.

A brave man, braver than me anyway.....:lao

B

Bee Cee

Those dirt roads are so inviting. Thanks for the post, good pics too. Ah huh. a 250 honda xl Degree! My son bought one about six years ago when he decided to get a motorcycle licence. What a great little bike, liquid cooled single cylinder six speed gear box and 21" front wheel. I'm told they were a stop gap bike when xr250s were having ADR problems. Don't know if true or not but a good story. I've had several day rides on his bike and it made me remember the special fun small capacity bikes can be. After a diet of large capacity bikes in the last 32 (gawd!!) years I was reminded of the ease and also the fun smelling the roses in the slower lane. The bike however is happy to travel at 100kph but hills leave it short of breath. In the unlikely event that my son wants to sell the Degree ( he also has a cbr1000rr) I will buy it and it may be my last bike in years to come. I love the feeling, just a fun I had forgotten.

Hytram

<-- now went that way
I did this today...

WOW, what a beautiful part of Gippsland, its a great valley to ride through, amazing veiws and a great ride

quite easy in the dry on Tourance/stock tyres but it would get majorly slippery in the wet, lots of evidence of it turning muchy and drying out quick

I turned left at Koornalla and did another creek crossing and up over a light 4wd road

thanks for putting up the map, its nice to know you can hit a road like this without the fear of "oh shit' am I going to get myself into some deep dodo

here is my GPX of the day
http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=100299

oh... I took the camera and left the SD card at home and also my phone :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom