Welcome to Boring, Oregon.

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
IMG_20150513_120904.jpg

WOOUUUWWW :clap:
It's not reality...... is it painted?
What a ride!
Thank You Nev for these (for me) easy to reading ride report.

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
For tea we went to a diner. Jo ordered the vegetables on rice. The serving was quite typical of huge american servings. It's not unusal to see every second person leaving a restaurant with a takeaway container of leftovers.

IMG_20150514_185553.jpg

That's just an entree, what was for main course! :lol:

nev

Super Térrarist
When I was planning for this trip, I had a rough outline of where we would go, and which roads we would take. The route was about 10,000km which was about right for a month on the road. The rough plan was 1 week heading south to get back to Bryce Canyon, which we'd missed on our 2010 trip due to the weather, and then a week heading north to get to the Canadian border, a weeklong loop through Canada, with various contingency routes to make up lost time or avoid bad weather, and then the last week to tootle around Washington and Oregon.

That night in Ridgecrest, some more searching discovered a bike accessory shop in New Hampshire which dealt in Autocom gear. Because they were a few hours ahead of us on the east coast, I was able to ring them at the crack of dawn California time and see if they had the parts. They did. Now where to send them. The guy on the phone was very helpful. He had access to the USPS postage calculators which would advise how long it would take various classes of mail to get to various places, and a pretty good knowledge of the west coast. It was a Friday morning, and Post offices in the USA open on Saturdays, but even the fastest postage would only get to very major cities overnight. We went down the list of large cities on my planned route.. oh yeah.. there were none... eventually we settled on Provo. A city about 75km south of Salt Lake City, which wasn't on my list, but we could be there on the Monday when the post office opened.

Next point to decide was how to get there. From Ridgecrest there was either 500+km of hwy/fwy to get to the other side of Nevada, or another route via Death Valley. A check of the weather made that decision easier, rain in death valley, sunshine on the I-15. So this day wasn't very spectacular scenery or riding wise.

We passed this massive solar farm just north of Barstow,

IMG_2327.JPG

an array of sun tracking mirrors as far as they eye could see.

IMG_2328.JPG

After we passed Barstow it was getting past Breakfast time, and the road we were on took us straight onto the I-15 without passing through Barstow business district. A few km further on, lo and behold, I saw a sign "Peggy Sue's Diner".

IMG_2329.JPG

Instantly I knew what was for breakfast. We'd stopped at this diner for breakfast on our ride from Las Vegas to LA on our last trip. Nothing had changed. The entrance was the same, the interior was the same, we even sat at the same table that we had the first time, and I think I ordered the same food.

IMG_20150515_100155.jpg

IMG_20150515_100200.jpg

And especially.... the portion sizes had not changed.

IMG_20150515_100321.jpg

Baker CA was our next stop.. for fuel and Jerky

IMG_2330.JPG

Most of the trip through Nevada looks like this

IMG_2337.JPG

Another solar farm in the Mojave desert.

IMG_2338.JPG

and don't forget your gun rack..
IMG_2343.JPG

This shared accomodation between a church and a payday lender in Mesquite provided some laughs

IMG_20150515_165603.jpg

nev

Super Térrarist
Once we left Mesquite we were almost immediately in Utah. We rode through Zion National park to Mt Carmel Junction. On our 2010 trip we arrived at Mt Carmel Junction dripping wet and freezing cold. It was about 5c and we were dressed for summer. The Subway sandwich shop at the junction sold soup. It was just what we needed. We went back 3 or 4 times for more. This time it was a lovely sunny day, probably around 15c. We didn't need soup, but we had some for old times sake. It was still the only Subway we'd ever been to that sold soup. From there we headed north, to Bryce, checked into the motel, left one bike behind and rode two up into Bryce Canyon national park. I always through Bryce canyon road went through a canyon. How wrong was I. The canyon is down below the road. The road at the top lookout here was the highest point we rode to on this trip, at 9100ft, 600ft higher than Carson Pass in California. There was a very light snowfall when we were at a couple of lookouts.

Zion National Park

IMG_2362.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2384.JPG

IMG_2388.JPG

Bryce Canyon National Park

IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_2414-PANO.jpg

IMG_2425.JPG

IMG_2435.JPG