Tornanti_2...Three Weeks Of Carve Till Ya Barf!!

moike

Old Fahrt
Plans for our next big ride will see us riding on the wrong side of the road too... How long did it take you guys to adjust to riding on the right, and did you suffer any lapses ?
Speaking for myself, it was mostly easier than I expected. I had thought that roundabouts would be a problem, but the road engineering only really lets you go one way. Applying the rule that you give way to anyone already on the roundabout worked well.

I found left-hand turns tricky for a good while. Just too used to looking for oncoming traffic being on my right.

The things that got to me were the sudden things, like having a truck appear around a blind corner on the "wrong" side o the road gave me a bit of a start sometimes even after a week.

I hadn't realised that I unconsciously try to make eye contact with the drivers of oncoming vehicles, and even after three weeks, I was sometimes momentarily startled by an apparently driverless vehicle or one where the "driver" had his head back sucking on a bottle!

One other place to be careful was when entering a road from a driveway. I think we all tended to use the wrong side of the driveway.

I only once found myself heading down the wrongside of the road. It was after Goodie and I had stopped to wait for some of the others and we pulled up on the left side of the road to take advantage of a shady spot. When I took off, I took off down the left side of the road, until a blast from Goodies horn woke me up. :D

All in all it wasn't as much of a problem as I had expected.

stewy

Still young and stupid
wow great reading and pics....some of those shots of the streams where the water had that bluey/green look were just stunning :clap:

Looking forward to tomorrow lunch time, please have tomorrow up before remember 12.30pm. :bees:

:thumbs:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
wow great reading and pics....some of those shots of the streams where the water had that bluey/green look were just stunning :clap:

Looking forward to tomorrow lunch time, please have tomorrow up before remember 12.30pm. :bees:

:thumbs:

Mate...the water there had us all fascinated.
Just about all of the Alps region's got water like glass...and LOADS of it.
Streams, rivers, creeks and lakes everywhere.

12.30 eh?

:upyrs:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
It’s still dark out there…but sleep’s over.

Yet again, the skies are clear….and staring at the very faintest shimmer of light peeking through the balcony-door, the head starts swirling with thoughts and impressions of the last few days.

Most of the secondary roads around here have either minimal road-markings…or none at all. No midline, no outside line, no posts, no Armco…and it seems to work absolutely fine with everyone.
Keeps drivers/ riders actually thinking of what (and how) they’re doing…. none of this dumbing-down with dozens of lines on intersections and all that crap like in Australia.

What will the Border Ridge Road be like? Wonder how much of it is still dirt?
Doesn’t matter, it’s a singlelaner in any case.

Mike seems to have shrugged off his hesitations about the GS6 and is really starting to get into it.
Throwing the bike into bends with gusto, winding into rpm-orbit on the low-gear steep uphillers…he not just seems to trust the thing but actually rather enjoys it. GREAT!

Those KTM guys at the Mangart told me that the Stol Mtn. track is closed from Sedlo in the south (I read about that just before we left home)….and that the boomgate on the Uccea Pass at the northern end is also now locked. Gotta check that on the way back from Cividale.
If the boomgate’s open, we’ll stay another night in Bovec…which shouldn’t meet much opposition, hehehee.
icon_biggrin.gif

…and wasn’t there an apple-tree on the neighbouring block with some overhanging branches full of fruit? Where the bikes are parked….ripe for the plucking?
I’ll try to be as quiet as possible….but that 2-storey fake-marble staircase amplifies ANY butt-clenched fart into a roaring hurricane, dammit!

The apple’s worth it though !!

T2_0379.jpg

Back to yesterday’s breakfast spot…the E6/10 bux still stand, but the fried eggs are missing this time….wonder why?
icon_whistle_.gif

It’s barely 10mins south, down the deserted main road through Kobarid…there’s the turn-off to Livek.

From here the road climbs onto the ridge, then follows the old WW1 battle lines right atop the Slovenian-Italian border!! This should be good, mate!!

AND IT IS !!....a lot more than just “good”!!

T2_0380.jpg

T2_0381.jpg

Yup…that pretty much wraps up the place and feel up here!! STUMPED!!
glubsch.gif
glubsch.gif

T2_0382.jpg

T2_0383.jpg

A bit further on…Goodie and bike are in Slovenia…the other side of the road is Italy.

T2_0384.jpg

T2_0385.jpg

T2_0386.jpg

T2_0387.jpg

T2_0388a.jpg

T2_0388.jpg

T2_0390.jpg

T2_0390a.jpg

Riding the ridge…

T2_0389.jpg

T2_0391.jpg

tim

RIP Marco # 58
Staff member
One other place to be careful was when entering a road from a driveway. I think we all tended to use the wrong side of the driveway.

That's one thing I def noticed during T1, especially coming out of petrol stations:D:D:D

It is very easy to end up on the wrong side of the road. During T1 I took off from being parked on the left side of the road, straight in to the left lane.. Suprisingly I heard glitch scream at me from about 20 meters back, not bad considering we were both riding at the time, with full face helmets on.. Who needs a horm :bs:bs:bs

Once you're under way, it's pretty easy on the bike to keep to the correct side but it only takes a moment of inattention and things can go wrong very quickly

Keep up the report Pete, loving it so far....

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Oh man, what a ripper !! This is ONE cracker of a road…the views are glorious, the valleys deep, layers upon layers of ridges in the distance….and something new to see every time one turns the head….then do 3 steps and start all over again.
drool.gif
drool.gif

T2_0392.jpg

T2_0393.jpg

T2_0394.jpg

T2_0395.jpg

T2_0395a.jpg

T2_0395b.jpg

T2_0396.jpg

One of the little settlements along the top

T2_0397.jpg

T2_0398.jpg

T2_0399.jpg

T2_0400.jpg

Dropping down some oh-so-sweet singlelaners from Kambresko, the border post in the valley was only recently abandoned, when Slovenia gained full membership of the EU.

T2_0401.jpg

The road along the valley floor drops steadily…we’re riding towards the Northern Italian Plains, barely 50k’s north off the Adriatic Sea…or ~100k’s from Venice further to the west. It’s getting pretty warm; too…the textile pants aren’t the ideal clobber for the day.

Cividale de Friuli, a small regional centre.

That café looks good…and makes a mean Iced Coffee! The busy intersection provides ample entertainment. The symphony of horns, hairy fists punching air, shouted greetings….bella Italia!
spoton.gif
spoton.gif

T2_0402.jpg

….at which time Tim discovers, that his bumbag with all valuables and money is missing!!!

Then he brightens up again: “I KNOW!....must’ve left it at that spot on the Ridge Road, the one with the great views into Italy…had a crap in the woods and marked the spot on the GPS…here it is!!! Point “crap!”!!
icon_rofl_.gif
I’ll go back…meet you in Bovec at the usual spot.”

T2_0402aa.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Warm has turned to moderately hot as we zigzag our way through the fertile farmlands, fields, orchards and vineyards all around. A couple of U-turns and map-checks and we’re on the run up the Uccea Pass.
Nothing extraordinary as far as the road goes, but boy, the scenery!!
clap.gif

T2_0402a.jpg

T2_0402b.jpg

T2_0403.jpg

T2_0404.jpg

T2_0405.jpg

A good hour later we’re at the “usual spot” in Bovec, the bar/ café at the corner.
2thumbs_up.gif

Even had time to find and check-out the road to the Stol Mtn….and yes, the boom gate was down….RATS!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

10mins after, Tim rocks up, smiles from ear-to-ear.
“You wouldn’t believe it !!” ….no, we don’t.
bs2.gif

Still, he’s got his bumbag back and it was at spot ”crap”!

All’s well again, Yeeha!

Time to move…

Up the well-surfaced Predil Pass, then a sharp turn westward just after crossing the Italian border again…how many times has it been today? 3…4?....a quick and easy run across the the Sella Nevea and the still abandoned ski resort to Chiusaforte. Nice, medium tight cruising.

Up the main hwy for a few minutes to Pontebba, launching point for the next “Special”…..the Passo del Cason di Lanza….. which connects Pontebba in one valley with Paularo in a neighbouring valley, 38k’s to the west.

Impassable for years due to rock avalanches that had taken out bridges and decent-sized stretches of the road, I’d tripped across a short note only a few weeks ago, that it was at least partially open again (during daylight hours)…the last missing bridge had finally been completed without another winter and melting snow in between to tear it all down again.

There was also info, that part of it was unsealed…Our kind of road then.
And there are no pretensions, things are single lane straight up….and like ALL singlelaners in the Alps, this is a 2-way road... expect oncoming traffic, or a shitflicker rally ahead...or anything like that!!

T2_0407.jpg

T2_0408.jpg

Just out of the paddocks and into the wooded part of the climb

T2_0409.jpg

There are cuts like fire-breaks in the greenery on the right….avalanche-chutes full of rubble from sand to car-sized boulders. Nothing is secured…the stuff just sits there, ready to slide, rumble and tumble at a moment’s notice…or after the next rain makes some spot a little slippery.
And we’re traversing right underneath!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

T2_0409a.jpg

T2_0409b.jpg

T2_0409c.jpg

Traversing those scree-slopes gives you a nervous tick…don’t think, just ride.

T2_0410.jpg

T2_0411.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Then the high-plains again

T2_0412.jpg

The climb goes on and on….

T2_0413.jpg

T2_0414.jpg

T2_0415.jpg

….until the road crests not far below the tree-line (at~2000m)

T2_0416.jpg

There are beds on offer….tempting!!

T2_0417.jpg

But there’s some weather creeping in by the looks of….and I don’t fancy getting caught out by some weird ‘n whacky snowfalls through the night up here…the town of Paularo down the other side at least offers some exit-routes if it comes to it.

T2_0419.jpg

T2_0418.jpg

T2_0419a.jpg

T2_0420.jpg

T2_0421.jpg

T2_0422.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The drop down towards Paularo is just…AWESOME!! BLOODY AWESOME!
laola.gif
laola.gif

You want a buzz....you get a BUZZ!!

T2_0423.jpg

T2_0424.jpg

T2_0425.jpg

Just before Paularo, a tiny road turns back up the hill…the quick “scouting” mission for Ravinis B+B yields no results (apart from more brilliant vistas across the valley and into the craggy mountains).

Can’t find the place, no further signs.

T2_0426.jpg

Into Paularo then…and the “strategic” location of shops and buildings around the market square.

T2_0434.jpg

Get off the bike in front of one of those typical (and numerous) “bar-café”, the owner looking on curiously. A quick glance around….THIS is Italy: pure and tourism-undiluted!!

None of the general signs around that denote at least SOME new-age connections….hmmm…better start digging deep into the 3 broken bits of Italian that slumber around the bottom-dregs of my language-repertoire.
“notte” (night )…tre camere (3 rooms)….sei letti (6 beds) ….the humble-stumble goes on.

A wall of Italian comes back, shaking head; flying arms pointing everywhere….my head’s spinning trying to follow those seemingly pointing hands…

A mid-30s version of a mid-60s hippy appears from next door’s hairdressing shop…3 words of English…and between the 3 of us we’re finally getting somewhere.

They’re pointing back the way we came, to another bar/café.
Thanking them profusely, it’s up the road, repeating my dismal Italian….notte/camere/letti….hmmmm….granny behind the bar seems to get the drift of it, but seems to tell me something about “due camere” and “quattro letti”….2 rooms/4 beds…while pointing to the ceiling…

I just grab a beer.

And walk outside.

T2_0427.jpg

This ain’t looking good…should’ve perhaps taken the punt and stay up at the top of the Cason di Lanza, eh?

How far’s the next town further south?

Granny comes out, grabs a handful of bike-jacket, dragging me along… 2 keys jingling away in her other hand…pointing up the external staircase that faces the main road.

Inside, another long staircase to the 2.floor…again…then we’re up there, she shows me 2 rooms which aren’t set for any overnight stays…but it’s damn cute up here….a peek around the corner… make that dead-gorgeous!!
2thumbs_up.gif

T2_0430.jpg

T2_0429.jpg

Somehow it comes across that there’s a possibility to organize another couple of beds, 1 for each bedroom.

NOW we’re rockin’ !!
spoton.gif
spoton.gif

“mangare??” “Si!!” She even offers to cook for us…and breakfast….this is starting to come together!
icon_beerchug_.gif

Couldn’t really leave granny to carry the extra beds, scrounged in the neighbourhood, up those staircases, eh?

Moving in!!

T2_0433a.jpg

How’s THAT for a room with a view?
glubsch.gif

T2_0431.jpg

T2_0433.jpg

Top Bottom