Yankee Tootle Dandy

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
“You guys GOTTA come and see me…. free board and I’ll show you the island if you fix that blasted Strom, too!!”

We’d met Jimbo a couple of years before on the Fire’n Ice NZ ride in 2005, the invite was to see him on the Big Island of Hawaii, catch up, have a holiday, ride some bikes….and fix that Strom which had mysteriously quit running, the local dealer being totally baffled.

I sent some parts across, none of them helped….

Time went by.

We rode the European Alps….twice…. he moved to the mainland, finding a place in southern Oregon, only 30mins drive from the North-Californian border.

Time went by.

“You guys GOTTA come and see me…. free board and I’ll show you Oregon and NorCal…..and you have to have a crack at fixing that blasted Strom, too!!”:eek:

Another year went by….”I’ve got a DR650 for Goodie….and if you don’t show up soon we’ll all be 6ft under, dammit”….

That sorta clinched it. :doh:

Time to hop across to the land of the Free and the Brave, God Bless and the rest of the baloney…..just to find out, that they really take those things seriously, gulp!!:eek::eek::wow:

Flags in front of every 3 building… the star-spangled banner everywhere, painted on garage roofs and side-walls…even the over-patriotic Frogs could well learn a lesson here.

Next to that the impressively-sized “prayer-sheds” of the Baptists, Mormons, 7th Day and a myriad of lesser known Hallelujah-mobs….. and we’re talking the backblocks here, not exactly population centers
(another guuulp).:wow::wow:

At the same time….you couldn’t meet a nicer mob !! :thumbs::chug:

Stay away from politics and religion (which often takes some effort) and things are looking bright indeed, oh yeah!!

Awesome folks, always happy to help….and extremely courteous. But I’m rushing ahead a little…

We still needed one more bike “if you get that Strom going, it’s yours to ride”. Hmmmm, I couldn’t really see myself fixing a bike that’s sat at various dealers for 51 months !! and hadn’t run at all for over 4 years!! , got shipped from Hawaii to the mainland in between, didn’t have a record of what had or hadn’t been done by those dealers or anybody else along the way….for all I knew it might’ve had the pistons rusted up the bores.:thun

Plan B was to rent a 2. bike to complement the DR….which seemed to be impossible anywhere near Chateaux Jimboeaux as all the local bike shops had either fallen victim to the post-world-financial-crisis recession/depression (which is biting horribly hard over there) or are close to it :bang::bang:, all having given up the hiring business. Bummer!

Pricing was another thing, a 14-16 day hire coming to an easy $2grand, incl. insurance and all.
Jimbo’s “and when you come next time, we’ll do Alaska” promised a 2. trip in the foreseeable future:woot:….and one where a roadbike wouldn’t really cut it.

The long and short of it then?

Let’s buy a bike for this trip and the next, preferably a D/S with extras and somewhat easy on the wallet…..and something that would pay for itself over the 2 trips, costing the same as the 2 lots of hire, any resale (or 3. trip??) would be a bonus.

KLR’s are like sand on the beach over there….not to mention the extremely favourable exchange rate…..and the depressed market.
6 weeks of intense Craigslist.org search followed until Jimbo finally came up with this one:

US2010_002.jpg

With only 4 days to go to our arrival, he believed my lies about fixing the Strom :whistle: and ran a 700km pick-up trip to Portland and back to go and grab this gem….and a true gem it turned out to be!:thumbs:

US2010_003.jpg

Barely run in, a spare set of hoops and a whole box of goodies and OEM parts, the bike itself semi-farkled (by Jaime’s/ Mr. Farkles standards that is). And all for just a tad under $4k…Aussie Dollars at that.:glu

US2010_004.jpg

US2010_005.jpg

Freshly serviced, there wasn’t much to do, just a cursory check and some de-farkling (those highway bars....cmooon…we’re talking D/S bike here, not a friggin chrome-bucket).

OEM tankbag, soft-panniers, medium sized topbox, 12V sockets, high screen and a host of smaller bits….and upon checking, all internal pockets of the luggage had extras in them as well, from small LED torch to scribble-block, mini-Leatherman, pens, micro first-aid-kit to tyre-gauge and more.

What an awesome buy!! :party:Well spotted, Jimbo!! And a huge thanks to the previous owner!!

Plan C had worked brilliantly….now it was my turn.
Picture 3 shoe-boxes full of Strom parts humming it for 14hrs across the Pacific to LAX

US2010_001.jpg

….then a few more hours to Southern Oregon via 50-seater Turboprop. We climbed out of the silver-grey cigar totally rooted…into Jimbo’s wide-open arms.
Did he know I conned him with that Strom-fix promise? :poo:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
And what a place was waiting for us !! :glu

US2010_006.jpg

US2010_007.jpg

US2010_007a.jpg

The Strom placebo…sort of.:bt

US2010_008.jpg

Holy shite, what a Xmas tree :eek:

US2010_009.jpg

Still bleary-eyed and jet-lagged the next morning…. lets get to work then, eh?

US2010_011.jpg

Oh shit…things don’t look good…underneath the tank most bits are loose or disconnected, cables and plugs dangling around everywhere… hoses, clamps, injectors, connectors, everything just willynilly thrown in there, showing well the frustration of the last one who’ve had a fiddle with this.:mad::bang:

US2010_013.jpg

Time to flip a coin, make a decision to either aim for spark or fuel, and get some order into the bloody mess.
An hour later the worst was sorted….I put my 20cents on fuel as the culprit, but didn’t feel like stretching things forever and changing over one part at a time, each time re-jigging the tank and all the other stuff to try and get her started…

So the entire contents of shoebox #1 was thrown ay it….fuel-pump (which already had the bypass done), sidestand and clutch cutout switches as well as a complete set of throttle bodies incl. injectors and TPS’s….just bolt on and hook up the throttle cables, connect the electrics and...pray.

3 hours into it and the tank is back on with fresh fuel, a charged battery and still a good handful of bits dangling around, jerry-rigged to do the job. The side-stand switch sits on the floor, taped up with good old Aussie duct tape.
“No hope” is an understatement…

US2010_014.jpg

Jimbo at least plays the charade of unbridled optimism….

US2010_015.jpg

Showtime !!

Looking across to the next box of parts on the floor, the key turns, the fuel-pump whirrs…she catches for a couple of coughs, then dies.
Again…after all, there’s an inline fuel filter in there now, with about ½ liter capacity which wants to be filled and pressurized…with the next try she catches instantly and kicks into a smooth high idle…off the auto-choke within a minute, not missing a beat.
:wot::wot::wot:

Time for a “feel”-run….ahhhh, open country roads…

US2010_016.jpg

Running like clockwork at around the ton…. imperial that is.:chug:

US2010_017.jpg

It’s good enough for me….

US2010_018.jpg

After 8 years and endless VEE’s I’m happy to declare that one a goer….running rich, but running smooth and solid. Jimbo’s hard pressed to hold back the tears of joy…no surprise after all this: https://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,4951.0.html

US2010_019.jpg

Plans are laid to re-register the bike the next morning and taking her on the first longer trip together.
First things first though….let’s kill a good bottle of local plonk, raid those tomato and herb busting planter boxes in the backyard and celebrate the “Strom-Revival”.
Hallelujah!!....and God bless V-Stroms :clap::clap:

US2010_020.jpg

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Oilchange, quick check all-round and it’s off to Mt. Ashland, a nearby ski-mountain that sits right at the Californian border to catch the sunset at the end of the day.

US2010_020a.jpg

Running south on the I-5 for a bit

US2010_020b.jpg

The slopes of the Rogue Valley

US2010_020c.jpg

US2010_020d.jpg

Jimbo still can’t believe it…he’s ecstatic!

US2010_020e.jpg

A couple of twisties-sixpacks later…

US2010_020f.jpg

US2010_020g.jpg

The sun still shines in California

US2010_020h.jpg

US2010_020j.jpg

US2010_022.jpg

US2010_021.jpg

Caught!!!….and…
SHOT!!!
My credibility in Strom-circles has just…. EXPLODED!!
:bs:bs

US2010_023.jpg

Not that we need ‘em for the way home, but how about those, heh??

US2010_020l.jpg

US2010_020m.jpg

Motorcycle maps to find the best bike-roads in Oregon…and following those, you’ll come along to see some absolutely breath-taking countryside with us for the next 2-and-a-bit weeks.
Brilliant stuff…just add a proper roadmap, overlay the 2 and there’s enough stuff to ride for 6-8 weeks solid!!
And free....from the dealers counters!

What a RIPPER of a day!!!

Up one “terminal” VEE and some carving up Mt. Ashland…. down one bottle of local dynamite-Chardonnay with another few in the wings.

The old route99 on the way home…

US2010_020k.jpg

See ya soon with tales of...
Goodie catching a Cougar/Puma…
Jimbo decking the Strom when getting bowled over by a bear…
deer in the middle of town, ANY town…
food prices that make you weep….
a night in the Bigfoot Motel…HELLOOOO to the 60’s
checking out the local hospital…
awesome folks everywhere...
Timberline at Mt. Hood and the stumping Crater Lake….
the magic single-laners of NorCal ….
lost in 200 square-miles of pines…
there’s no Micky Mouse in Northern California….
Oregon’s incredible coast…
Redwoods Magic…
The worst sealed road ever ridden…

and loads more.

Mr.Farkles

Getting the hang of it
Pete, let's see a pic of the KLR with the front wheel 4 feet up in the air.:glu
Oh... and a detailed list of all the Farkles on it.:endu

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
:thumbs: Waiting impatiently. :lol:

Grab a bottle 'o booze mate....it'll be a little while.

Pete, let's see a pic of the KLR with the front wheel 4 feet up in the air.:glu
Oh... and a detailed list of all the Farkles on it.:endu

4ft. up? That could've only happened later in the piece, that bike was a total slug at the start, gummed up by too many miles in high gears and low revs.
Started to come good after the 3. day, by day 5 I wished for a spiffier front anchor and after the first week we were finally boogeying.

Farkles? Sorry, no chrome, mate :bs
Side panniers, "no-name" topbox, highwaypegs via bolt-on crossbar, bolt-on backrest, sheepskin via velcro-tabs, thermometer, clock, throttle-locker, OEM tankbag, Zero Gravity screen which was GOOD!, protective gaffer tape where ever something could possibly rub/ chafe, some different front guard aftermarket I guess...here's a pic of one box of bits

US2010_020extras.jpg

Looking to forward to more installments Pete.:)

Jeff

Writing it up as I'm getting the pics sorted.:thumbs:

Top Bottom