BMTroubleU Icicle ride on a postie

T

thommo

Unlike last year, the only ice to be found was in a glass with some fine single malt wrapped around it. It was definitely a bit chilly, a bit on the damp side and as usual, there's always a few twats who can barely ride when its day let alone night but no ice on the roads.
After scoring pole position, Lucas the prince of darkness promptly let the blue smoke out of the wires leading to the gps, some quick thinking with a zippy tie and some duct tape soon wrestled the blue smoke back to where it belonged.

1004771_4493051784057_493329412_n.jpg

The bullshit stopped when the flag dropped and a freeway is no place for a postie, nevertheless i legged check a couple of BMTroubleU's into some cars and made the short freeway leg my own before we took to the tight twsity roads that lead up to Warburton, whereupon i proceeded to thread my way past all those cheating moto-bicycles who went past me on the freeway. A word of advice for the inexperienced nightriders, do not pass someone if they have a better headlight than you.
The road from Yarra Junction over gentle annie to Rokeby was strewn with leaft and bark litter from the recent wind and rain, picking you way through required some finesse, of which i had far more than many that were trying to keep up thru the tight stuff. they'd catch me on the straights and i'd loose them in the corners. Rokeby was the end of the first leg and one bloke asked me what size chinese engine was in my bike because it was pretty quick for a postie.
He didn't quite know how to take my answer of ' it's stock, just my ability to twist that black thing on the right is better than yours'
The 2nd leg flag droppd and again i got the holeshot but soon last ground to half dozen bikes with a few more Shetland ponies in the top end. Part way between Crossover and Willow Grove, one of the BMW club blokes with all the fluro on imaginable went past me on his McGregor around the world bike and broke rule 1. Not content with breaking rule one, he also wanted to leg check me into the tabledrain. Those bikes must have an anti photo mode cos none of the photos are even remotely in focus. they don't have a tip over sensor either it appears because it was still running while crash-a-rama walked laps around the bike deciding on what he was going to do. Perhaps he was going to call BMW Assist and get them to shut it off...
With my mojo all fucked up, i did a Bugs Bunny, turned left instead of right and ended next door to Mordor instead of Thorpedale which meant that i was significantly further east of where i should have been. Some swearing at the cryptic nav sheet they gave me in conjunction with the gps saw me belt down into Boolara and down the debris strewn road to Mirboo North.
The hour was starting to get on by the time i made Mirboo North, clues being the brewery appeared shut and what appeared to be the last bikes with the BMW retrieval vehicle close behind leaving town. Some more swearing at the vague nav sheet and the gps lead me to believe they were heading down to Korumburra and than up towards Warrigal.

Brilliant, i'll skip the korumburra stop which was only a fuel stop anyhow, blat down the grand ridge road and intercept them. i swear that the mirboo north to the Korumburra-Warrigal road was sealed last time i did it. sections of it were corrugated loose pea gravel, great fun on a postie bike with a headlight so powerful it turns daylight into darkness.
Nevertheless, i made it to the intercept point and whilst there were no bikes to be seen, their tracks in the half wet half dry road were clear as day. Success! Back to the vague nav sheet which contained such pearlers such as " Fork left at bottom of hill just past "the daisy patch"". Is that Dasiy of Dukes of Hazzard spreading her legs? A sign? Flower pots beside the road?

Some more head scratching scratching and summoning Joliffe's outback tracking skills lead me thru Warrigal and up north, west and than south into a servo between the Druids and the Bunyips. The postie by this stage was a fire breathing machine, and not in a good way, the exhaust flange had broken off from the cylinder head which might explain why the poor bike hadn't been running so well for the last 10km. whilst pondering how i was going to fix this at 1 30 in the morning i was advised that i had successfully finished the 2013 BMW icicle ride. I arrived 45 mins after the first bike and there were some 20 or so bikes behind me still.

The little bike that could:
1004077_174549396059743_1936201855_n.jpg

With a celebratory beverage in me, i spied a park bench with a roof over it, 5 star! I reckoned that bunking down for the rest of the night and fix the bike when the sun came up was going to be the order of the night and after sending a message to Sandy advising such i proceeded to do exactly that. I barely got a chance to settle down before a ute arrives to pick me and the bike up. Apparently im not allowed to stay out on my own at night.........
IBR and IBA nutjobs:
943303_174549296059753_1339036977_n.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The little bike that could:
1004077_174549396059743_1936201855_n.jpg

Oh yeah....can they ever, those lil' things :chug:

Thanks for the great read and the chuckles, what a brilliant yarn.
Should write up a lot more...this is :clap::clap:
Thanks for the effort...I just can't get rid of that grin.

T

thommo

thanks gents, played in the snow up near licola the other weekend

943228_170451436469539_212602601_n.jpg

1012319_170451463136203_639945338_n.jpg

actually we were right near the lookout at Mt Skene

great fun

T

thommo

Got a mate to tweet the corse image a bit and got some made up as stickers, they've been a surprising success, only got 100 made and i need to get some more made now, donw to my last 3 i think.

file.php

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
1012319_170451463136203_639945338_n.jpg

actually we were right near the lookout at Mt Skene

great fun

Awesome pics, greatt spot, too...was that from the Jamieson or Licola side?
(looks Licola to me, but could well be wrong)

Got a mate to tweet the corse image a bit and got some made up as stickers, they've been a surprising success, only got 100 made and i need to get some more made now, donw to my last 3 i think.
file.php

Wouldn't be surprised.
Done well, too!! Like those " Step through, or step aside" postie T-shirts of years gone by....hot stuff!

You might know...does the postyie-fortum still exist?
Think it was a guy in Syd or Canberra running it....but it moved to different servers under too many different URL's in the end, I lost track.

Top Bottom