My first 14 Days-Trip to the north of New Zealand

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
I will start with a rented DR650 in Maraetai on 9th of march 2011.
At the beginning of a comfortable journey in a southerly direction,
along the coast of the Coromandel Peninsula,
various attractions that i have prepared, the other part with the bike must be discovered in .
Rotorua, Taupo through the high plateau and desert of the Tongariro National Park, back to Rotorua in the Te Urewera National Park, Lake Waikaremoana on Wairoram, Gisborne at least to East Cape.
Along the roads of the Ruahine Range, it goes in the direction of Wellington.
Back in northern direction to Hawera on the west coast around Mount Taranaki, Stratford, Hamilton and Auckland towards Taumarunui.
I have enough time, I drive to the north of the island in direction to Cape Reinga.

Planning the trip is difficult, since simultaneously with the planning and the extraordinary names of towns and villages have to be impressed in to my head :looney:

GPS, or other technical aids are not carried along the Trip.:flame:

With hearty regards from Vienna
Hans

Good luck I'm sure that you will love the scenery and you've picked a great time of year to go weather wise.
I hope that you are not planning to do things in the order you wrote them (I assume that's a guide only). There are times on that route where there is some doubling up of roads I suspect.

asphalt

Good luck I'm sure that you will love the scenery and you've picked a great time of year to go weather wise.
I hope that you are not planning to do things in the order you wrote them (I assume that's a guide only). There are times on that route where there is some doubling up of roads I suspect.

Many thanks friend:gday:

You're right, the planning is not finished yet.
I think the east coast down to wellington
and in the west coast, back to Auckland.

Deviations along the route are scheduled situational.

I read in one of the threads from New Zealand roads.
There are many covering works on the road and sometimes
as a binder, Diesel oil!:eek:
highly flammable and when wet, very slippery.
I know this from the roads of greece, when I, years ago, destroyed a XT 500 :)
But now I´ll try to inform me before I ride.

Excuse me please , can You me explain what means with "get hold of jmj"?

Greetings from Vienna

Hans

Iam travelling from NZ to OZ doing shutdown work..
There is a sronge chance I may be back in NZ around that time.
If you lot need any help. re. transport. maps. picking up bikes... dont hesitate to ask..... I know most of the North Island , like the back of my hand... if you get down the line a bit.. get hold of jmj.. iam sure he will take you for a ride and a half... also he loves DRs....
Have fun.
Kevthekiwi..............:)

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
It get's you across from east to west. Wellington itself might be worth a look, the "funi" from the city center to the University is a good way to overlook the city and bay/ airport etc.

Stay out of Upper Hut (just north of Wellington), the place is a bit of a dump.
The Hwy1 from Wellington northwards is boooooring....but it only takes a couple of hours to Wanganui, where the good stuff starts again.

I'll make another map with more ideas around Mt. Egmont, The Forgotten Hwy and a few other bits.
This will be a continuation of the previous map.

If you're not going to Wellington, there's a better way across the centre of the Island to Wanganui.

Best NZ maps:

New Zealand Road Spiral Atlas Hema
Scroll down halfway on this page
http://www.hemamaps.com.au/Products/tabid/146/Default.aspx
EAN: 9781877302640

Let me know, I'll get it for you.

Hi mate

Don't worry about the Diesel!!...it's ok if taken slowly

Unless it's on fire.:)
Not sure about 2011 but as late as the late 1980's in NZ in the road repair season (Feb-April) one method they used to use to prepare some roads for winter was to literally burn them. They had trucks that had flame thrower type arrangements on the back and they would drive along slowly and set all the contaminants (diesel and oils) on the road surface on fire so that the surface was oil free for winter and the wet season. Only very small flames and you can ride through them on a motorcycle as directed by the ubiquitous stop/go flag man but a bit freaky to come across.

asphalt

Hi, Pete,
Thanks for the recommendation

Nearly Upper Hut a dump ..... I do not need:rolleyes:
Wellington does not need to be, I just thought that the capital is worth
seeing.
Highway 1 ..... boring?

Okay, then I take the cross-connect to the Whanganui National Park,
so I save time, which can be used for more interesting Places.

The Road through the Desert to Rangipo I definitely want to ride.
Will take the following directions to Stratford,
as suggested by you: http://tinyurl.com/4c32zvq
via the Highways 46/47/4 and 43 (East Road, looks great:glu)
to take a tour around the Mont Egmont.

with greets:clap:
Hans

Top Bottom