AusTouring.com  


Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes Language
Old 25-03-2021, 11:55 AM   #11
K1W1
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dandenong Ranges
Posts: 4,448
Default Re: Room To Breath...Hello High Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
WTF?
The VicRoads Picassos found another pot of paint on special
They all appeared between the end of January and early March after parts of the road were resealed. I asked the Highway Patrol guys what it was all about and they shook their heads rolled their eyes and said (with a smile) that they thought it was so motorcyclists could have competitions to see who could brake latest going into the corners.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 01:03 PM   #12
glitch
Mapping the next ride...
 
glitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 17,499
Default Re: Room To Breath...Hello High Country

Funniest part is that there are 3 corners painted in a row...then nothing for a few k's, then a couple of shallow bends/ near straights painted up again sometimes on the "outside" track, sometimes "inside"...I think your theory is on the $$.

Looks like the Monash clowns had the CoVid shits and did some non-contact field-trips with their paint pots.
__________________
Cheers
Pete
glitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 01:35 PM   #13
K1W1
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dandenong Ranges
Posts: 4,448
Default Re: Room To Breath...Hello High Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
Funniest part is that there are 3 corners painted in a row...then nothing for a few k's, then a couple of shallow bends/ near straights painted up again sometimes on the "outside" track, sometimes "inside"...I think your theory is on the $$.

Looks like the Monash clowns had the CoVid shits and did some non-contact field-trips with their paint pots.
To be honest I can't remember if those corners had speed advisory signs but I assume that they did. In NSW those marks (called dragons teeth) are there to let you know you are in an area with a speed advisory so I guess some clown at VicRoads thought it would be a good waste of taxpayers money to run a "trial".

BTW did you notice all the new Armco barriers on some corners but not others? There is a large section of barrier on those sweeping corners as you drop down into the Omeo valley where previously you could park for a good photo op.

K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 02:03 PM   #14
glitch
Mapping the next ride...
 
glitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 17,499
Default Re: Room To Breath...Hello High Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
To be honest I can't remember if those corners had speed advisory signs but I assume that they did. In NSW those marks (called dragons teeth) are there to let you know you are in an area with a speed advisory so I guess some clown at VicRoads thought it would be a good waste of taxpayers money to run a "trial".

Naw, no speed adv. signs.
Mainly saw them between the Bogong HP Rd. turnoff and Omeo.
Then a few here and there between Ensay and Bruthen.
Some lost+lonely corner markings along the 105 -Maffra to Glengarry...



Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
BTW did you notice all the new Armco barriers on some corners but not others? There is a large section of barrier on those sweeping corners as you drop down into the Omeo valley where previously you could park for a good photo op.
Yo, plenty of shiny new lower rails all over the place, too.
Quite a few of those had me scratching my head as they finished about halfway through the bend and NOT where they might prove useful, towards the end of the curve.
Riders don't deck it BEFORE the bend, but usually someway through, with a major trajectory into the 2.half of the bend, right?

Well, I do, anyway :-)

Others had the lower rails on the INSIDE of the bend
__________________
Cheers
Pete
glitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #15
Hytram
<-- now went that way
 
Hytram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Altona
Posts: 2,580
Default Re: Room To Breath...Hello High Country

Those triangle thingies painted on the road are popping up here and there all over Melbourne, one case is on Queens Bridge St as it dog legs left and right between the Yarra and Flinders Street. I think on some short sharp Fwy exits too.

More for cars and trucks, I think it visually makes the lane seem narrower and you are more likely to stay in the middle of the lane.

To me they have funneling effect, both making you stay in the middle and also slow down.

Better than speed bumps and $afety Camera$ in my book as long as they put some sand in the paint.
__________________
Marty
'12 Super Tenere
'97 VFR750
Ride hard, live dangerously...
Hytram is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 03:53 AM.


All information contained on this site is © 2007-2008 to Austouring.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.