Room To Breathe...Hello High Country

Re: Room To Breath...Hello High Country

WTF?
The VicRoads Picassos found another pot of paint on special :doh:

They all appeared between the end of January and early March after parts of the road were resealed. I asked the Highway Patrol guys what it was all about and they shook their heads rolled their eyes and said (with a smile) that they thought it was so motorcyclists could have competitions to see who could brake latest going into the corners.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Funniest part is that there are 3 corners painted in a row...then nothing for a few k's, then a couple of shallow bends/ near straights painted up again W-) sometimes on the "outside" track, sometimes "inside"...I think your theory is on the $$.

Looks like the Monash clowns had the CoVid shits and did some non-contact field-trips with their paint pots.:bs

Funniest part is that there are 3 corners painted in a row...then nothing for a few k's, then a couple of shallow bends/ near straights painted up again W-) sometimes on the "outside" track, sometimes "inside"...I think your theory is on the $$.

Looks like the Monash clowns had the CoVid shits and did some non-contact field-trips with their paint pots.:bs

To be honest I can't remember if those corners had speed advisory signs but I assume that they did. In NSW those marks (called dragons teeth) are there to let you know you are in an area with a speed advisory so I guess some clown at VicRoads thought it would be a good waste of taxpayers money to run a "trial".

BTW did you notice all the new Armco barriers on some corners but not others? There is a large section of barrier on those sweeping corners as you drop down into the Omeo valley where previously you could park for a good photo op.

45676995762_46b56f1123_b.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

To be honest I can't remember if those corners had speed advisory signs but I assume that they did. In NSW those marks (called dragons teeth) are there to let you know you are in an area with a speed advisory so I guess some clown at VicRoads thought it would be a good waste of taxpayers money to run a "trial".

Naw, no speed adv. signs.
Mainly saw them between the Bogong HP Rd. turnoff and Omeo.
Then a few here and there between Ensay and Bruthen.
Some lost+lonely corner markings along the 105 -Maffra to Glengarry...

BTW did you notice all the new Armco barriers on some corners but not others? There is a large section of barrier on those sweeping corners as you drop down into the Omeo valley where previously you could park for a good photo op.

Yo, plenty of shiny new lower rails all over the place, too.
Quite a few of those had me scratching my head as they finished about halfway through the bend and NOT where they might prove useful, towards the end of the curve.
Riders don't deck it BEFORE the bend, but usually someway through, with a major trajectory into the 2.half of the bend, right?

Well, I do, anyway :)

Others had the lower rails on the INSIDE of the bend :wot:

Hytram

<-- now went that way

Those triangle thingies painted on the road are popping up here and there all over Melbourne, one case is on Queens Bridge St as it dog legs left and right between the Yarra and Flinders Street. I think on some short sharp Fwy exits too.

More for cars and trucks, I think it visually makes the lane seem narrower and you are more likely to stay in the middle of the lane.

To me they have funneling effect, both making you stay in the middle and also slow down.

Better than speed bumps and $afety Camera$ in my book as long as they put some sand in the paint.

Hytram

<-- now went that way

Because I was curious and have too much time on my hands..

They are called Dragons Teeth. (missed that bit in Richard's post)

From https://austroads.com.au/publicatio...Traffic-Control-and-Communication-Devices.pdf

Dragon’s teeth are a painted series of triangular road markings placed in pairs on each side of a lane or road.

In Roads and Maritime Services they are being used to further increase the visibility of school zones for motorists and provide a constant reinforcement to slow down to 40 km/h around schools as shown in the adjacent image.

In VicRoads they are being trialled to create the perception of the road narrowing, through increasing the size of the dragon teeth, and therefore encouraging drivers to slow down. VicRoads is trialling their use along a section of road that has a significant crash history.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Better than speed bumps and $afety Camera$ in my book as long as they put some sand in the paint.

That's a point!
Didn't check, as we were in a cage, so it wouldn't matter.

In VicRoads they are being trialled to create the perception of the road narrowing, through increasing the size of the dragon teeth, and therefore encouraging drivers to slow down..

Those we saw didn't increase in size, just the spacing decreased towards the start of the bend, which most likely is supposed to give the perception of speed.

Didn't we have this crap with series of painted bars with decreasing spacing in between...20 years ago?
The point is that if you watch those things you're NOT LOOKING INTO THE BEND and beyond, as you damn well should to adjust your speed! :doh:

As a bike-rider I'm used to look well ahead and those things only count as an added risk, reducing available safe road-surface.
In a car I don't care if they're there or not.

Different story around schools...

I'm going for the late braking marker option. Next time I'm up there I will take a spray can of black paint and put my initials on the tooth where I start braking then see if anybody else tags a tooth closer to the apex. Counting teeth then stopping around the corner on a narrow road and standing on the road spray painting will be great for road safety. :D

Riders don't deck it BEFORE the bend, but usually someway through, with a major trajectory into the 2.half of the bend, right?

Some don't even need much of a bend. This is about 600 metres past the big bridge after Anglers Rest (heading north). The bike went over between the camera and the first marker.

49659489288_fdc0860283_b.jpg

I figured the barriers on the inside were to stop 4WDs getting a little close to the edge on some of those corners with steep drops on the inside.

Top Bottom