Africa

moike

Old Fahrt
If ever you get to punt a bike around South Africa, the first thing you need to check on your bike is the hazard lights. Be familiar with them. You'll use them between 50 and 150 times on a typical 400k day. Whenever you're cruising down the highway at 120, and a truck, car, minibus pulls off into the emergency lane to let you past, you flash your hazard lights twice to say thanks, and they flash their high beam to say "you're welcome". It happens constantly.
At one stage this afternoon we were cruising at 130 in a120 zone and an f250 and a BMW SUV came up from behind at 160, so we pulled over to let them pass, they flashed their hazards, and we flicked the high beam. It felt oddly good.

More, and photos, to come.
Summary.... Wonderful.:D

Last edited:

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
Hi,
have a good time over there in Africa!
In Europe, the Truck-Driver use the flashlights and high beams
even for such as communications.
It´s a kind of friendly life together on the road.:thumbs:

Hans from Vienna

John_Johnny

Long Timer
Hazzard lights here mean "I can double park with immunity".

The locals will already know this, but in Australia the truckies use a highbeam flash to indicate when an overtaking truck has cleared and can safely pull in front. The overtaking truck then responds with a left/right/left indicator as a "Thanks mate!"

Paul n Dixie

Part of the furniture
Hazzard lights here mean "I can double park with immunity".

Usually an emergency... eg mobile phone! :mad:
Got to txt urgently or someone has posted a new picture or comment on Fakesbook :mad:
The driver must ensure however that when double parking, that the 2 RH side wheels shall remain on the road and said vehicle shall remain partially within the traffic lane....

Back on topic, Moike I,m very much looking forward to your RR :D
I have recently read "Round The World On A Motorcycle" by Zoltan Solkowsky and currently reading "Jupiter travels" by Ted Simon.
Both books recall of Africa as "entering your soul" (not a quote)
despite the first book being from travels in c1930 and Teds book c1973.

ant

AngryAnt
I noticed in Indonesia (where you drive on the left) that if you are in a queue of traffic trying to overtake, the cars in front will indicate left meaning "safe to overtake me". Indicating right means "don't overtake, oncoming traffic".

spenaroo

Just through the door
odly enough it was in africa that i developed the passion and desire i hold for motorcycles.
the couple of months i spent in sierra leone has greatly shaped my life afterwards.

at some point, sit out on a balcony. with a glass bottle of coke and soak in a sunset.
there is something spiritual about an African sun set. a time of reflection
259810_1745263242351_3438705_n.jpg

249900_1745257242201_4046672_n.jpg

Top Bottom