Ride to Recovery ( Australian High Country )

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
That was an interesting day.Luckily some workers were nearby fixing a bridge
(a photo from a trip one year earlier.The bridge does'nt look much different now:rofl )
DSCF0057.jpg

and were happy to help out.
DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
Enough reminising,time to move on:lol3.Next stop The Barry Way,then a run over Black Mountain/Limestone Track to Benambra.I could'nt ask for a better day,the sun was shining and the birds were singing.
DSCF0044.jpg

Half way along the Black Mountain Rd is a place called Native Dog Flat which is where my son and I saw wild brumbies last November.It's a beautiful spot to camp.I would have loved to stay here agin but the day was young.
DSCF0043.jpg

DSCF0042.jpg

A nice place to sit and have a cuppa.Again not a soul in site.In fact while travelling this road and the Mt Birregun road later that day I never saw 1 other vehicle.

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
Unfortunately I had to leave this tranquil place and keep moving.Although if I had'nt I would'nt have seen 3 of the most beautiful mountain horses I had ever witnessed trot across the road in front of me.With the sun behind me their coats absolutely shone.By the time I stopped and got the camera out they had dissapeared into the bush.I quietly walked into the bush to get a photo but ot no avail so here a photo on my way back.Probably what they would have seen:lol3.
DSCF0046.jpg

Next stop Bennambra.It's a great dirt road with nice scenery along the way.Between Bennambra and Omeo is an aerodrome which last year saw Oz and Canadian firefighters being air lifter to fire some of the more remote fires.
DSCF0038-1.jpg

This time I found a different sort of fire fighter.This looked awsome in the flesh.All I know about it is it's made in Poland.
DSCF0047.jpg

DSCF0048.jpg

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
On to Omeo,but first a stop at McMillans Lookout.
DSCF0049.jpg

I love this country:nod.A quick stop at Omeo ( actually nothing was quick about this ride so we'll say very liesurely ) then onward to the Dogs Grave along the Mt Birregun Rd.This is another fantastic road with great views.
The Dogs Grave itself.A memorial to a mans best friend.
DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0053.jpg

I would later freeze while camping here in the rain

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
Onward to Mt Birregun and what a view.A bit rocky get up to it.It was only when I reached the top that I noticed the easy way up:huh
DSCF0054.jpg

And full phone reception so I thought I'd give Nev a call to sort out meeting arrangments with him and Ian later in the trip when there was an almighty crack.I thought drop and roll,drop and roll.But I just dropped the phone and crapped myself.A big old Gum had decided to drop not more than 50metres away.Even Nev asked what the hell that was.I thought some one was taking a shot at me with a shotgun.

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
The road I had just travelled (Birregun Rd) from Mt Birregun.You can see the road a couple of ridges back if you look close.
DSCF0055.jpg

Now the heart rate had got back to some thing like normal it was time to move on,Dargo awaits.I reckon I was about 30 minutes up the road when,coming around a corner I spied a stick on the road.Now I make it a habit of not running over sticks and other objects on the road and am grateful I do.
DSCF0056.jpg

And it had no intention of moving.That photo was taken after I had passed it.Luckily I passed it on the tail end ,as you can see it was poised to strike.Needles to say I did'nt turn the engine off when I took this photo.Actually I did'nt even get off the bike.

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
The end off Birregun Rd.A right turn and I'm onto Jones Rd and heading to Dargo.
DSCF0057.jpg

It's a nice ride down from the mountains to the valley with drop offs to the right and great views.Nice little river at the bottom.
DSCF0084-1.jpg

Right
DSCF0058.jpg

Left

DSCF0059.jpg

Straight ahead

DSCF0060.jpg

And not 1 vehicle from the Birregun turnoff to Dargo.Yeehaaa

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
My camp for the night,Ollies Jump up.
DSCF0082.jpg

DSCF0083.jpg

After setting up camp it's time for another walk with the camera.One thing I did notice around this end of the country was the lack of wild life due to the recent fires.I was talking to some road workers later in the trip who told me the fire front near the Pinnacles was 65kms wide and 3 storeys high and everything up to a half Km ahead of the the fire was already dead due to the intense heat.Scary stuff.

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
The beauty of nature always amazes me.The ability of nature to recover from adversity always amazes me more.
DSCF0070.jpg

DSCF0071.jpg

DSCF0073.jpg

DSCF0079.jpg

We just need to take the time to look at it with a clear mind.

andrew2

Getting the hang of it
I always sleep well in the bush (if I'm not cold.Must buy a new sleeping bag),so I got up when I felt like it and made my plans for the day.I could feel myself relaxing by the hour and with only 3 days gone things could only get better.I thought I would go to Dargo which was only 15 minutes away then head down to Talbotville for the day.I love Dargo.I spent hours over the next 3 weeks chatting to the locals.In fact I passed through Dargo 3 times and spent 4 days on and off camping at Ollies Jump Up.It suits me there,they live by a different clock.The real clock of life.
I had to make myself get up and ride.Talbotville here I come.The road in.
DSCF0085.jpg

DSCF0086.jpg

Bulltown Spur.I've come up this track in a 4 wheel drive but I'm not taking the big girl down here today:(:

DSCF0088.jpg

Top Bottom