RTE St Helena Sunday 26 April 2020

Hytram

<-- now went that way
Despite many, many rides since shutdown, still struggling with fitness, best I can do is around 20km, and then I'm knackered. Might be a while until I'm back to my best Around-the-Bay-in-a-Day condition.

Let me just say, 15 years makes a big difference, 15kg makes a bigger difference though.

Spoke to my brother yesterday who lives in NZ and is a part time instructor at one of the MTB downhill parks over there.

He has just turned 50 and has just replaced his non downhill MTB with a pedal assist eMTB, he says his knees just cant cope with 3hr rides more..

He is loving it..

Might be a option.

Everywhere in Europe when I was over there last year.

He has just turned 50 and has just replaced his non downhill MTB with a pedal assist eMTB, he says his knees just cant cope with 3hr rides more..

My brothers in NZ and most of my former trail riding mates who are way older did that a number of years ago. They now go out on basically the same rides we used to do in the 1970s but on their $10k eMTBs rather than the KTMs most of them still have in the garage.

A mate of mine down the Peninsula brought a couple of 1kW ebike kits from Alibaba. They are easy enough to mount to basically any bike they just don't look quite are pretty as the factory stuff. The advantage of the 1kW kits is they are 2-4 times more powerful than the OEM ones. I've heard stories of going up Arthurs Seat at 30kph without pedalling!

Hytram

<-- now went that way
I got overtaken by an e-bike on Williamstown Rd in the car and I was doing 70..

Heard of some wild mods like carrying batteries in back packs..

Add on kit is a thought

Might look into that

Good , ol Loz is very much up on the ebike thing, might pick his brain

Williamson

Part of the furniture
... 30km loop that can easily incorporate a couple of places to stop for “refreshments”... [/url]

Sounds like an overnighter.

... just turned 50 and has just replaced his non downhill MTB with a pedal assist eMTB ...

... 50 is still a youngen, too early for an eBike. Even at 70 next year for me, I'll be sticking with the pushie for a coupla years yet.

Me old mate Norm (in the pic) had his 80th birthday on our Kossie to Coast ride, back in 2006.

Golden Age Road / Barry Way: https://goo.gl/maps/BsoEcbxm9swbUDE36

Not sure if I'll be able to repeat that at 80 though.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
MTB brigade, many at dangerous speeds and clearly reckless behaviour. I do pity many of the walkers,

Then add some nice, steep downhill walking track....makes you jump outta yer clogs crawling and stumbling your way up and those clowns coming around the corner at 50kmh.

My son is riding a bicycle home from work in the city to a East Hawthorn about 3, 3-30 am many days, I asked him this afternoon if he has problems with Mountain bikers. Apparently not. :)

Lots of good things to the curfew then...:scull:

.... post lockdown Austouring lap of the city by pedal power might be in order.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_City_Trail

Great find! I like that loop idea, too.

MTB with a pedal assist eMTB,
Everywhere in Europe when I was over there last year.

Yes, Europe's crawling with them.
Then again, it's crawling with all sorts and types of bikes. Never seen so many bike-rental places as along the German and Polish Baltic Coast a couple of years back.

Top Bottom