I should have mowed the lawn ride

Hytram

<-- now went that way
For the first time in ages I had a Saturday for myself. I set the alarm for 8:30am and after getting out of bed at 11am I determined what I should do. There was lawns to mow, lights to be installed in the new bathroom and a shed to clean up. So after I decided a route I donned the bike gear and headed off. :lol:

I headed up to the Bunyip State Forrest in Gembrook to pay in the dirt...

(Im glad I over took this and not met it coming the other way)
IMG_1952.jpg

(the main roads are well keep and very grippy)
IMG_1957.jpg

As I came around one of the corners I noticed a strange looking pot hole for a dirt road, I was lucky enough to miss it as it was on the apex, hitting it would have meant bye byes!!. On further inspection it was at least 2 foot deep and quite under mined, there was a concrete drain underneath that had sucked most of the dirt from above it. I was luck enough to report it... but more on that later.

(it looks small, but it was quite large underneath)
IMG_1962.jpg

(I had to stop for this Kodak moment)
IMG_1968.jpg

5 years ago back when I was a learner on a KLR250 I went for my first real dirt ride, I had to end here with a flat tyre, I had a puncher repair kit but the damage was just fixable and I couldn't risk going farther... I got here again and was going to keep on going

IMG_1969.jpg

(some mud to play in)
IMG_1973.jpg

I stopped basically in the middle of now where to have a drink and a rest and low and behold the local police turned up for a licence and breath test, I past on the alcohol bit but failed on the garlic and was given a stern talking too about brushing and flossing :lol: I also showed the copper where the pot hole was on the map and he was going to report to the local ranger. Both him and his young partner where nice and friendly and didn't even give the bike a second look (no rego sticker :oops: )

(bike safety, please wear a bullet proof vest :shock: )
IMG_1975.jpg

(Peak a boo!)
IMG_1977.jpg

(more mud)
IMG_1979.jpg

(look mum, no side stand!!)
IMG_1981.jpg

Then the real stuff started, it started to get steeper with plenty of erosion humps (massive speed humps) to deal with. Going up a hilly bit I stopped and as I went to ride off and as I put the clutch the bike rolled back a bit and caught my left foot between the footpeg and embankment so I tipped the bike to the right and the the weight was to much and I laid it down..

IMG_1982.jpg

I picked it up with no drama only to find this
IMG_1984.jpg

the peg had gone straight into the clay and couldn't bend on its hinge so all the force went straight into the mounting bracket.

(I backed the bike down to the last flat spot and decided to head for
home)

IMG_1985.jpg

This is where the real trouble started, having no rear brake because of the broken footpeg I had to go down some steep inclines with only front and engine braking I went down 2 more times, once heavy enough to bend the crash bars...oh well, this what they are there for.

(also, new flush mount indicators are on there way)

IMG_1986.jpg

This is what I bought the strom for, but I think it is a little heavy for any real off road stuff. I think I will stick to the flatter stuff....or maybe I wont :lol:

Marty

G

glipschitz

Sounds like an awsome afternoon out Marty!

Now that I'm legal to ride my steed I might actually get out there and ride it a bit more.

God damn my busy lifestyle :p

G

L

Leon

Great report!

Nothing like a bit of mud to challenge the heavy DS bikes - good stuff.

I think we have new contender for "most artistic photo" - that one of the strom through the bullet hole is superb.

Leon

farawayman

Long Timer
:lol: :lol: :lol: I have rubed a blinker off up there to Martyh but it was in a 4wd. :p

And just to the left o this photo up that bank (there is a fence there now) I had to balance on the bullbar of short wheelbase Pajero to stop it rolling over. Till we got a rope onto it
IMG_1969.jpg

A lot of fun can be had under those power lines but I think the Strom is a bit big and heavy especially for this time of year.
A great repot mate brings back some memories.

loz

Getting the hang of it
Ahhhhrrrrrr, what a shit, makes it an expensive fang.

10 points for getting that enormous heavy thing that far, looks like a dirtbike road to me!

R

roarin

Pretty good effort to get that far Marty. That slippery clay is a bastard on any bike. Just wait for it to dry out & you'll be laughing. Fly through there no problems. And don't feel too bad about the damage. I've already gotten through 2 indicators, 1 clutch lever, 1 gear lever & a mirror -on a dedicated dirt bike :oops: :oops: Hell it was fun though :lol: :lol:

M

matt232

Arrrhh yes the whole, take bike out of gear on a steep incline trick.....I remember it all too well.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Arrrghhh, MARTY !!!! ^%@$
:shock:

Great pics as always, though...
Can't help with the peg-bracket, used the last good one on #051.
Crashbars can possibly be straightened (between a tree and 4WD bullbar?), got a spare crossbar if needed and indicators galore.
Indicator-mount can be fixed with a big glob of epoxy from the inside.

Missed anything? :D

Hytram

<-- now went that way
glitch said:
Arrrghhh, MARTY !!!! ^%@$
:shock:

hehe...my 1st thought..."oh shit" second thought "Pete's gunna kill me!!"

glitch said:
Great pics as always, though...
Can't help with the peg-bracket, used the last good one on #051.

I'll pick one up, I wish there were made from machined steel and no that cast crap

glitch said:
Crashbars can possibly be straightened (between a tree and 4WD bullbar?), got a spare crossbar if needed

thats whats planned, shouldnt be hard... crossbar is OK... Broke another bolt head of thou :evil: :evil: :evil:

glitch said:
and indicators galore.
Indicator-mount can be fixed with a big glob of epoxy from the inside.

might grab one, thou was planning to go the flush mount way so it cant happen again

glitch said:
Missed anything? :D

have you still got that jar of "common sence"... I think I might be needing some of that :lol:

Marty

Top Bottom