Welcome to Boring, Oregon.

jo

I'm a wimp!
The big 'lou'bowski... are you hungry yet?
JGO_3rTyjy7VrDbNFge4ASmKho0ISAiGlJtkHxFNOH8=w327-h436-no

nev

Super Térrarist
Only after, zooming into our photos, that we found out there were at least 11 people climbing El Capitan

And just to put the rock climbers in perspective.. El Capitan is 3000ft from base to summit. It takes the average climber 2-3 weeks to ascend the rock face. They have to carry everything they need during that time, all water, food, climbing gear and they sleep in tents which fix to the cliff face. And even at the time of year that these climbers are on the cliffs, they can expect gale winds, howling rains and snow if the conditions are right.

zoom1.jpg

zoom2.jpg

zoom3.jpg

nev

Super Térrarist
Plan succeeded. The following morning was dry. Grey skies with the odd crack of blue sky.
Southern Idaho was quite desert like. This was close to the Nevada border, so I suppose it was to be expected.

IMG_2500.JPG

When we got closer to water, we got closer to irrigation and crops, and Idaho is famous for their potato crops

IMG_2502.JPG

Twin Falls was our destination for the night, and before we got there we stopped at Shoshone Falls, named after the Shoshone people who inhabited this part of the continent before the white folks.

IMG_2507.JPG

The falls were on the Snake River in the Snake River Canyon. Back in the early 1970s, Even Knievel tried to jump over this canyon. Although famed for motorcycle jumps, this was attempted in a steam powered rocket he named the Skycycle. Initially it was to be launched along the ground and up a ramp, but this was altered to be launched rocket like from a framework which launched the skycycle at about a 45° angle on the south rim. The launch went fine, but the parachute opened prematurely. When it deployed he had already crossed the north rim, but the parachute caught the wind and he was blown back across the river and he landed on the river bank on the south side of the canyon. Fortunately he was relatively unscathed, but even more fortunately the skycycle landed on the ground and not in the river, because the emergency mechanism to unbuckle him from the seat failed, and had he landed in the water he would certainly have drowned.

The original dirt ramp which was build is just out of sight on the left rim of the canyon.

IMG_2506.JPG

PANO_20150520_130330.jpg

We walked down to the Perrine Bridge over the canyon which is quite spectacular. (My photo was crap, i've had to tinker with the settings to brighten it up a bit so apologies for the nasty colours). There is a local law, or lack of a law, I'm not sure which, which makes it perfectly legal for anyone to BASE jump from the Perrine Bridge any time they like, any day of the year, so this is a destination for skydivers looking for some extra thrill.

bridge.jpg

It started to rain so we took shelter in a sporting shop. You know.. all the usual sporting and camping goods, parkas, fishing rods, books on how to own automatic rifles, the best ways to carry concealed weapons, and of course dozens and dozens of firearms, so you can choose one that best matches your belt buckle and snakeskin boots.

IMG_20150520_163456.jpg

IMG_20150520_163512.jpg

IMG_20150520_163650.jpg

nev

Super Térrarist
From Twin falls we headed back to the east to Wyoming.
First stop is at the Craters of the Moon National Monument & Preserve. This is an area of volcanic activity. The landscape is quite incredible, vast areas of land looking like a giant plough has turned the top few metres of ground over. All resulting from volcanos and lava flows. As usual, the displays in the visitors centre were outstanding with great exhibits and details, none of which I have shared here .

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

More of the long flat deserts with the odd volcanic cone

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG

After lunch we hit Wyoming again, and headed for Jackson Hole, via the Teton Pass

IMG_2534.JPG

IMG_2535.JPG

IMG_2537.JPG

The view into Jackson Hole from the top of the pass.

IMG_2538.JPG

Jackson is a tourist town and ski resort on the southern edge of the Grand Teton & Yellowstone National parks. Plenty of shops selling touristy stuff and plenty of places to dine. They try to maintain the old "wild west" image in part of the town, with large verandas and wooden footpaths.

IMG_20150521_152343.jpg

IMG_20150521_153815.jpg

IMG_20150521_165111.jpg

IMG_20150521_165220.jpg

and some local humour..

IMG_20150521_190945.jpg

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Nice pics Nev & Jo, keep them coming.

:clap:

The standard of some of the roads look good, with sealed (albeit a bit narrow) shoulders, painted edge-lines and tactile edge strips (rumble strips to some of yuse AusTouring bogans). Are these what we would call A, B or C roads in Aust?

I thought I should make some technical comments and ask technical questions, seeing as I'm following this thread at work. But don't worry rate payers, it is not as though I'm not working, I'm doing this in my allocated nap time (ANT is the code we put on our time-sheets).

:lazy:

Last edited:

nev

Super Térrarist
Nice pics Nev & Jo, keep them coming.

:clap:

The standard of some of the roads look good, with sealed (albeit a bit narrow) shoulders, painted edge-lines and tactile edge strips (rumble strips to some of yuse AusTouring bogans). Are these what we would call A, B or C roads in Aust?

Most of the roads we took were State Highways, which would be A or B roads here.

nev

Super Térrarist
(If you're reading this, it means I haven't edited the photos, so read it again later when I have access to a more modern computer and hopefully a couple of the pictures will have improve a little.)

Next morning we were up early, and found a bakery in Jackson to buy some lunch to take with us on our ride into Yellowstone National Park.
First port of call was the turnoff into Grand Teton National Park. At the other national parks we'd been to, we'd paid cash for the cheapest entry, which for Zion and Bryce Canyon was $12/person, for which they issued a 7 day entry permit, although we only stayed a few hours. The Entry to Grand Teton/Yellowstone was $20/person. The lady at the gate taking entry fees said something about an annual pass, which was $80 and would let us both in to any other national parks. I said, if only someone had told me at the first national park we got to how much the permits were going to cost, I'd have bought one at the start of the trip. "do you still have your receipts?". Sure did, I just stuffed them all into the map window on the tankbag. She said there's an expiry date on the bottom. We'd gone through Zion and Bryce Canyon 6 days earlier, so the expiry on those was for tomorrow. No problem she said. They're still valid so I can sell you an annual pass, and refund these two already paid for passes, so the entry fee today was $32 total, and that would cover us for any other parks we went through. Sweet.. on with the ride.

It was bleak but dry as we wound our way through through the next 150 miles of 45MPH zones. Occasional sprinklings of precipitation, but no rain set in.

IMG_2546.JPG

Passed by an elk refuge
V-m78O0vTMwcBPRxYIp3yGfz78R8mhC4HTIMWgh2PhW6=w1598-h867-no

IMG_2548.JPG

Saw some Grizzly Bears. well.. at least their bums. A mum and 3 cubs.

ENErraW4yDXnAcNnVkr3Oy_t-Mi6K2rLCgHgCGPe6A4C=w960-h523-no

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2558.JPG

steam from hot volcanic mud pits

IMG_2564.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_20150522_101138.jpg

IMG_2574.JPG

PANO_20150522_104555.jpg

IMG_20150522_104626.jpg

Bison shedding their winter coats
IMG_2582.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

Out the western exit of Yellowstone we ran through a valley or series of valleys north

IMG_2589.JPG

The rain was very cooperative. It rained on the hills but stayed off the road just a couple of km away.

IMG_2591.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

As a boy growing up in the 1970s, Fonzie and Evel Knievel were major influences on my life, and probably responsible for any interest in motorcycles, so a visit to the grave of Robert Knievel in Butte MT (his hometown) was a must do.

IMG_2596.JPG

Now if you refer back to my post from 3 days previous, Evel Knievel had attempted to jump the Snake River Canyon in his steam powered skycycle rocket. At that time, a monument was commissioned to be placed at the Snake River Canyon to commemorate that mile long jump. A space in the centre of the stone was left blank to record his demise. But he survived, and the feat was never achived, so the memorial was put into storage and taken out 33 years later when he passed away. The blank side of the stone was used for his memorial, and the snake river canyon jump engraving remains on the other side.

IMG_2599.JPG

nev

Super Térrarist
And around this point I realise that I have inadverently combined two days into one, and missed most of one full day, so if you go back I have rewritten posts #10 and #13 in this thread.

nev

Super Térrarist
Left Butte on another lovely sunny morning (these are getting a bit monotonous now). First part of the morning was a freeway commute for 50 miles or so. Approaching Deer Lodge there was a billboard for a motor museum. It was still early and we had all day, so in we went. What a place. This whole town was practically a museum. There were two or three different museums on each side of the main street at the south end of town.

The motor museum was in an old jail.
IMG_2603.JPG

The display was huge. At least a hundred cars, probably more, I never really counted. A great spread of cars from the entire history of automobiles. Many on loan from collectors and restorers. Here are a few choice photos, maybe one from each decade. The rest will be linked to a complete photo library probably when I finish the written report.

IMG_2608.JPG

IMG_2610.JPG

This is a Detroit Electric. An electric car from the 1910s. (There is another one of these cars in the Maffra Motor Museum which is also kept in perfect running order. VIC Reg KILOWT)

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2617.JPG

IMG_2629.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

IMG_2649.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2657.JPG

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2665.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

Then we took a tour of the jail itself

IMG_2698.JPG

The solitary cells were inside this this door, no windows, stone floors, and so small a single bed mattress would not fit inside on the floorspace.

IMG_2700.JPG

General population cells

IMG_2704.JPG

A baseball field and some grass and a view of the mountains for the prisoners during their time out of their cells.

IMG_2703.JPG

A theatre had been built inside the prison for entertainment for / by the prisoners

IMG_2716.JPG

The gallows used in Montana during the 1920s and 1930s. These were dismountable and movable. The prisoner takes 13 steps up to the noose and trapdoor.

IMG_2717.JPG

Further north, The road follows a valley and passes several lakes.

IMG_2719.JPG

through various wooded areas. Although it didn't look it on the map, there were some lovely areas of corners on this road, particularly in the section after lunch at Seeley Lake.

IMG_2729.JPG

Snowcapped mountains (these are starting to get a bit tedious after 2 weeks !!)

IMG_2732.JPG

The sun warmed us up after lunch

IMG_2736.JPG

Stopped for the night in Columbia Falls. This town is just a few km south of the Canadian border. Flag at Half mast at their war memorial, presumably because this is start of the Memorial Day long weekend.

IMG_20150523_173822.jpg

Top Bottom