[STICKY]My Pic Of The Day

zol.

bazmeg
Mt Buller
20190311_132434_HDR.jpg

Somewhere near Jindi
IMAG1210-01.jpg

You got your money's worth out of that thing, that's for sure Zol!
Certainly have, she's served me well.
If you've been keeping your finger on the pulse, and following some recent posts on here, you'll realise that's is a seller's market out there. Only problem with that there's not many deals being offered on new bikes, but there probably are some exceptions.

But on the plus side, of course, may be you get a NEW bike.
I've been looking on FB, Gumtree and Bikesales, leaning towards the Africa Twin, as much as I like the look of the Tiger 900, just don't trust Triumph's quality in bikes. Also not sure if I want to go the 21" route which are also tubed.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I've been looking on FB, Gumtree and Bikesales, leaning towards the Africa Twin, as much as I like the look of the Tiger 900, just don't trust Triumph's quality in bikes. Also not sure if I want to go the 21" route which are also tubed.

The Rallye and Rallye Pro both run 21" tubeless fronts +rears....notwithstanding that 90% of all flats are REARS!

As an aside...21" tubed fronts are a 20 minute easy fix to throw a new tube in...rears are the real bastard.
The reason I LOVE Goodie's little XT250....got a tubeless 18" rear and tubed 21" front.
That's factory....someone WITH brains put that one together.

zol.

bazmeg
The Rallye and Rallye Pro both run 21" TUBELESS!! fronts +rears....notwithstanding that 90% of all flats are REARS!

As an aside...21" tubed fronts are a 20 minute easy fix to throw a new tube in...rears are the real bastard.
The reason I LOVE Goodie's little XT250....got a tubeless 18" rear and tubed 21" front.
That's factory....someone WITH brains put that one together.

The 2020+ Africa Twin comes with tubeless wheels (can get tubeless kits for pre 2020 tubed rims).

I'd much prefer to do this with those sticky poo sticks over the replacing of tubes kerfuffle. Managed to plug four sticks in the reamed hole on EJ Road heading towards Mansfield. Was still leaking air, so I had to fill up air at every town servo we passed going the long way home via Alexandra, Yea, Kinglake etc.

signal-2021-10-08-104244_001.jpeg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I'd much prefer to do this with those sticky poo sticks over the replacing of tubes kerfuffle.

No arguing there!!

On the other hand most 21" front hoops can be peeled off the rims ...just about!...bare-handed (nearly, sorta...except the Heidenau K60s, you need a stick of dynamite for those shitters) .
In short, I don't mind to replace a tube on a 21" front.... but will never, ever try my hand on a tubed 17" rear K60 again. Like on that DR650 rental in NZ many years back. Bloody murder, that was.
Out in the sticks, stinking hot, 100's of bumblebees the size of golfballs bobbing around (made it all surreal, felt like being in the middle of a movie or a massive hangover seeing all those swirling blobs when you lifted your head from the job on the ground)

Yes, gimme T/L's!
And throw away patches and glue and all that shit, 95% of tubes are siliconed butyl-rubber nowadays, you'll NEVER get a patch to stick+ seal properly!
Sometimes there's no choice though....
It's been decades, but we brought bikes (and cars) back home with tyres stuffed with rags and grass and sticks and dirt....and a good leather riding jacket in one case. It survived but never fitted the same.

Last edited:

Williamson

Part of the furniture
The 2020+ Africa Twin comes with tubeless wheels (can get tubeless kits for pre 2020 tubed rims).

I'd much prefer to do this with those sticky poo sticks over the replacing of tubes kerfuffle. Managed to plug four sticks in the reamed hole on EJ Road heading towards Mansfield. Was still leaking air, so I had to fill up air at every town servo we passed going the long way home via Alexandra, Yea, Kinglake etc.

View attachment 462

The sticky ropes or plugs have got me home at least five times. The success rate, effectiveness of the seal has been mixed. One time with three or four ropes, and as many CO2 cartridges, I still needed to top-up the air at Omeo, Ensay, Bairnsdale and Traralgon to get home, and then needed a new tyre.

Another time, only one plug was needed, got home from Crookwell without needing any extra air. Needed a new tyre though, but that wasn't due to the plug.

1634277510125.jpeg

I've even plugged a tyre on Helen's Mazda, it was easy peasy. Had a flat on the Pajero earlier this week, that was too hard for me to plug, cost me $35 at the local tyre store. Also have tubless tyres on the Classic trailer so as I don't need to carry a spare.

Some new cars are now coming without a spare, not even a space saver, and a repair kit (plugs, tools, etc..) is supplied.

Tubeless tyres now all of the time for me.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
My favourite of the moment- just after the Stilfser Joch heaading for Bormio.
First time in the Alps after a long time- it is just a fortnight ago.

NICE!!

Sounds like you got lucky, there have been some decent snowfalls in parts of the Alps yesterday

Top Bottom