RideADV High County

T

tenrider

Decided to do the Ride ADV high country ride, starting in Jindabyne. Not having a trailer I opted to ride the DRZ to Dargo then Jindabyne the next day to meet up with the other riders on the ride.
I took the DRZ because the ride was to have some challenging sections like Blue Rag and some tails. I was to be slightly disappointed as the weather conspired against us and made a lot of tracks dangerous or uncomfortable.
If my ride up was anything to go by I was in for a hard ride. Heading up to Warburton then hitting the dirt on Woodspoint Rd. From here I hit Wyhalla, South and Mt Selma roads to Licola. So far all was comfortable and relatively fast but soon to change. I stopped for a bite to eat at Licola then headed down to Tamboritha and Maroka Rd.

This wasn't to be my intended path as I wanted to head down Zeka Spur down to the Wannangatta valley and back up Wombat and Cynthia Tracks, but the weather was too bad to risk it so I stuck to the main dirt roads. Weather hit bad as I started up Maroka, raining constantly and getting very cold. Thinking to myself "I havent even started yet!"

The road was getting slippery but I had to push on. I was now meant to turn down Marathon Rd but missed the turn off and headed through to Castle Hill Track. Nice flowing twin track with a few slightly rock climbs and nud spots but nothing my limited skill or the DRZ for that matter couldn’t handle. I soon found a track sign guiding me onto the right path to Marathon Rd but to my surprise it was a 4x4 track that can be seasonally closed. What! It says Rd! This was very rocky and Steep down hill.

I could smell Dargo from here so pushed on. The DRZ making the track easy enough if but a little slow on my part. Eventually the track made way to the road and I was able to up the pace. I wanted to take what I thought was a short cut but this is not often the case in the high country where a short cut can generally extend travel times let alone a few obstacles. I took the Link Track to Dargo Rd and this track looked like a war zone. Trees down everywhere steep climbs and descents that were rocky and slippery in other spot.

I was just over it by now cold and tiered so I pushed harder the mighty DRZ swallowed it up the AC10s eating the mud and crap up. Then Oh Shit! A river crossing! Hadn’t Planed for that. I got off the bike and inspected what access point I was going to take. Anyone heard of the saying "Still waters run deep", well I was about to find out. Truth be told it wasn't too deep but deep enough for my vent tubes to suck up a little water as my legs splayed out the side like oars and the front of the bike did its best to hop rocks.

Just mad it to the other side as the DRZ stalled. I took a sigh of relief and rested to take photos.
It took a bit of time to start the bike but it eventually ticked over but wouldn’t idle. So I kept the revs up. By revs I mean Revs as I road that DRZ as hard as I could through to Firestone Creek road and to Dargo rd. This thing can fly, I was running on empty in the body so I just let the bike do the work.

Soon enough I had made it to Dargo where I set my accommodation fuelled up and went to have dinner and a few beers. I was drained and stuggled to make conversation with the locals so hit the sac early. I was comforted by the thought that tomorrow would be easier as I know the road better and the weather was going to be cold but nice. I can live with that.

I woke early as it too was going to be a big day. I set the bike up and did some chain maintenance and warmed the DRZ up. God it was cold. Dropped of the key and headed off. I hit Upper Dargo High Plains rd then Briggalong to Omeo road works had made this slippery and a bit rough for a road but ok It very scenic riding along the river as the road rides up into the state park. I didn't stop much as I was intended to make good time.

I soon made it to Omeo where I has a Chilly pie and a coffee to warm the sole as the cold was starting to really bite a bit. Again no time to sight see so I soon headed off to Limestone rd. To head to Limestone there is a farm track that links two sealed roads I was to have my first off on this track. Rain had left muddy ruts ollong its path and I was not paying too much attention when I picked a path that would cause the front wheel to dive into the rut and throw me off, face first in the mud.

Soon up and using wet grass to clean me up I pushed on. Lime stone and Barry way. I was riding as fast and safe as i could be as I had to be in Jindabyne by 6pm to register for the ADV ride so I didn't sight see to much, but if you ride a big adventure bike head up this way the views are breathtaking.
When making it to Jindabyne I set up the bike against my room and went to have dinner and load up my GPS for the 3 day ride. As the track was getting loaded I couldn't help but think I already had an adventure getting to the start. I was excited and looking forward to it.

First day didn't promise too much as we headed back down the same roads I came the weather was glorious and the lead rides had frightened most of the wildlife away. I call them sweepers! No real excitement until the end of Limestone we turned left instead of right we soon hit the trails I was craving for and it didn't disappoint. It had everything from rocks, mud hills drops and ruts, I was having a blast and my buddy for the day was showing me how to fang the big GS through it all.
As we cut through the forest it opened up and the views were fantastic. Grazing fields lush green rolling gravel road and ominous sky’s above to remind us of tomorrows weather change to come. We road around dry lake Omeo until heading up the main sealed rd to our stop for the night. The Hill top Hotel in Omeo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW5QaEirt50

To be continued

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Looking alright! :clap:

That was an organized event or not?
If yes, commercial or private?
Who runs them?

Top Bottom