Easter Adelaide trip.

veom

Tour Pro
Day 5:

After meeting Bob the previous day, he mentioned that I should go check out the motor museum up in the hills, so I figured why not! After a short blast up in the Adelaide hills I arrived in Birdwood home of the national motor museum.

The first thing I saw when I arrived was the BMW parade in the parking lot! I had a chat to the riders, they were a couple from Geelong.

gPSW3Tc.jpg

In the actual museum there was some really really old stuff, it was amazing I could have spent all day there.

BT5szaw.jpg

Now I know this picture is shit, but seeing Dakar bikes up close and personal was one of the best things of the entire trip, one day I hope I will be able to go and see the race for myself. These bikes carry 47 litres of fuel! Their just insane!

rYzoRXN.jpg

veom

Tour Pro
Day 7:
Destination: Apollo bay

This day was the biggest of the trip, the most I have even ridden in a day. I've linked the route I took.

Map here!

In Robe they had this giant lobster, it was kind of bizarre to see it in the middle of no where!

lp7bMbo.jpg

On the way into South Australia I really wanted to get a picture with the "Welcome to" sign because it was the first time I had been interstate on a motorcycle, but unfortunately I missed it. This time round I was prepared and snapped a great one entering victoria.

RuHsBG7.jpg

I trucked into heywood for a quick break and met some riders from the warrnambool motorcycle club. There was two absolutely show room condition 1980s ninja's. One of them had 160,000ks on it. None of the guys would believe me when I said I had come from Adelaide earlier that morning!

1vWBAOt.jpg

As I was approaching Apollo bay, I felt ready to ride through home, it was only an extra 2 or 3 hours to my nice warm bed. Unfortunately by the time I got there it was dark, the idea of riding along the great ocean road at night didn't exactly appeal to me so I decided to try and find a room to stay in. All of the motels were booked out because of the ANZAC day long weekend. I ended up camping in a caravan park. Lucky I had my tent.

veom

Tour Pro
Day 8:
Destination: Home

I woke up early, around 6:30 to the pitter patter of rain drops hitting the top of my tent. Shittt :bang: the first bit of rain my entire trip. I quickly got dressed and packed up the soaked tent. I dashed into town to seek shelter at the service station and figure out my plan.

I decided to ditch the great ocean road and go back along the princess highway. I can always do the great ocean road another day. There was some great twisties leading up to the main road, I was looking forward to that warm shower.

As I was coming into Geelong I noticed that the water proof covers for my panniers had come off. I didn't think too much about it. I checked it out when I stopped for fuel and this is what I found.

FjGeqtw.jpg

AVIfuYD.jpg

BVDXIPc.jpg

The rear wheel decided it didn't like the bags and it had eaten them! The bags were really stuck in there, it had even melted onto the brake rotor. I cut most of the bag away with a pocket knife I had. It took a good 45 minutes to get it all out.

It was a quick dash home in the rain after that.

A few days after the ride I took the rear wheel off, I found a bit more bag which I had missed, but luckily it didn't get caught up in the wheel bearings or anything too critical.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The rear wheel decided it didn't like the bags and it had eaten them! The bags were really stuck in there, it had even melted onto the brake rotor. I cut most of the bag away with a pocket knife I had. It took a good 45 minutes to get it all out.

It was a quick dash home in the rain after that.

What a finish!! :so
And what a trip.
It started and ended with a "bang". :eek:

One of those years you'll have to do it again....with dry roads and blue skies :chug:
Thanks for the pics and yarns, it's a GOOD read :clap:

Top Bottom