Court Houses & Post Offices

Williamson

Part of the furniture
County Court Houses and Post Offices throughout (some parts) of the US of A and Canada (that we have visited, and where I could be bothered to take a pic), are really something.

Revelstoke, BC

Red Lodge, MT

Walden, WY

Silverton, CO

Mesa Verde National Park

Independence, CA

Bridgeport, CA

Hopefully, more to come.

twowheeler

two wheels are best
It seems North Americans take pride in a good court house. The one in Ephrata, WA, where my sister lives, is a magnificent neo-gothic building, in what is a small backwater town.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
It seems North Americans take pride in a good court house. The one in Ephrata, WA, where my sister lives, is a magnificent neo-gothic building, in what is a small backwater town.

In Walden, the street next to the Mighty Court House was a contrast.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
...and no snow!

Strange you mention that, we had not been through any snow since just south of Silverton. Snow is often in the background, in them far hills, but nothing to touch drive or walk through. But just north of Bridgeport we drove over Monitor Pass, 8,314ft to find this:

This is a "winter closed" road. At the summit, I was talking to a female cyclist, she had just pedalled her bicycle up from nearby Markleeville, she said that road had just been opened and that we were the first northbound vehicle.

We are currently at Lake Tahoe, there is still some snow on the ground in some properties, even on the front verandah of a nearby cottage.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
This is a "winter closed" road. At the summit, I was talking to a female cyclist, she had just pedalled her bicycle up from nearby Markleeville, she said that road had just been opened and that we were the first northbound vehicle.

We are currently at Lake Tahoe, there is still some snow on the ground in some properties, even on the front verandah of a nearby cottage.

:glu Love those pics!

What a view from Monitor Pass, eh? :woot:

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Virginia City, CA was on today's agenda, here's the County Court House:

The building also accommodates most of the County's administration and a small museum in what use to be the County jail.

Most of the cells now have their own themed exhibit, eg. churches, cemeteries, hotels, brothel, etc .....

I have around 150 pics of Virginia City, I think a separate thread is warranted.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Unleash the inner wombat
Well I guess if you want to tour jails and courthouses, America is the place to do it. Its an industry there you know!

nev

Super Térrarist
We are currently at Lake Tahoe

Can you do me a favour and pop into the Tahoe Mountain Brewing Company in Tahoe City, and grab me a 6 pack of their Passion Pale Ale.

(Coincidentally, google photos threw up some memories on my phone today and reminded me that 2 years ago today I was in Tahoe City drinking the above mentioned amber fluid at the above mentioned establishement.

Top Bottom