AusTouring.com  

Go Back   AusTouring.com > General Viewing > Out and About
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 28-04-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Default NZ_2019...The Missing Link

As per the extensive planning-thread, this trip was to close the final gap in a 3 decade-long collection of routes, roads, places and highlights that will bind me to Unzud forever.

The "Greater Wairarapa"....or better, the Wairarapa, the Manawatu, Southern Hawkes Bay and the southern tip of the North Island, Cape Palliser.

In hindsight, nothing has changed though... I'll HAVE to go back with more time at hand to do it properly.
Like with any other part of the Shaky Isles!

While the fortnight was no-where near enough, it allowed me to cobble together a solid variety of routes (plus extras!) to finalize the 14.500km Trans New Zealand ADVroute which is really barely a scratch on the place, but gives plenty of choice for the overseas tourist ADV-rider keen to get off the well-trudged tourist (and even ADV-) routes.

NZ-Essentials : Here

ADV-Routes here (12 sections) 14.600km

Just for an overview...Auckland to Cape Palliser, the shortest way.

https://isn.page.link/HPqz

While those were some of the results, there was still a fortnight's ride involved to close that final, missing link and tie the routes of the 2 islands together via a 3400km loop.

And so it went...
Old 28-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Default Re: NZ_2019...The Missing Link

A long ramp up had produced a long line of crew-changes for various reasons along the months of prepping, leaving a smaller-than-intended group of 4 in the end, with Hans taking over one of the "vacant" bikes to run his own ride during the same time-slot.

This time there were various hook-ups planned with locals along the way, most contacts through the AusTouring and ADVrider forums.

Being familiar with the capricious NZ weather patterns and able to pick alternative routes at the drop of a hat while maintaining overall progress, choice-routes and targets proved invaluable once more as we finished up with only 3 mornings of rain/ drizzle and 2 overcast days throughout the fortnight, the rest being "patchy blue+sunny" while some parts of NZ drowned in 1100mm of rain...and bridges, plane-hangars and roads washed away, dozens of tourist coaches stranded etc....no whingeing here.

With Ant flying in from Kuala Lumpur, Hans from Vienna the day before and 3 Melbournians in one lot, there was "some assembly required" before the riding started.

Richard (Oldbeer), an Auckland Local, had offered to smooth out he edges and "grease the wrinkles" by renting a people mover to pick us up from the airport and playing chauffeur the next day, showing off some of the local North-Auckland highlights, ultimately dropping us off at the bike-rental depot for the bike pick-up.

Can't thank you enough, friend!! Many, many thanks for the guided tours, the pick-ups, carting-a-bunch-of-Aussies around on a sightseeing tour and putting up with a solid 24hrs of the "Western Accent".
Another lot of thanks for the night of laughs and yarns at the Bushmans Grill ....which also goes for Hakan and his lovely wife from EnduroTouring_NZ who have been a MAJOR supporter of the AusTouring NZ rides over the last decade. Love you guys!!...and it was great to catch up again.

Piccie-time...
...and thanks to Ant, that's a double-serve!!

Old 29-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Some of the culprits getting warmed up... if there was something like that place in Melbourne, Apple's latest Iphone addicts would rot with envy in their sleeping bags...

42 taps of craft-brew!!!! Suck on a mouldy sock, Australia!
And that's before the exquisite knowledge of the guys behind the bar!

I'd call that the best-kept secret in Northern Auckland.

All that in a rear-block factory-building along some main road....and the food-van is doing the bar-boys proud, too. Great tucker to go with the brews.

I like this joint...

Oooops....I DID say that all the above was about halfway to the pub/ dinner/ excellent tucker/ laughs and a great night out at the Bushmans Grill in Hillcrest, only 2km from the Bike-Rental-Depot ?
Some things just fall into place, aye?

L-> R "Saint"-Doug playing coy, Europe and Asia (Hans+Ant), Famous/ Teflon -Rog, the drill-sergeant, Mr. Enduro-Tours Hakan and his "partner-in-crime".

Local, bike-buddy, guide, book of knowledge and funny guy...and awesome Mr. Fixit!! Aka, Oldbeer/ Richard

No idea what Doug's praying for though....
Old 30-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
Sir Francis
Displaced person

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
Some of the culprits getting warmed up... if there was something like that place in Melbourne, Apple's latest Iphone addicts would rot with envy in their sleeping bags...

42 taps of craft-brew!!!! Suck on a mouldy sock, Australia!
And that's before the exquisite knowledge of the guys behind the bar!
42 taps pffft sounds like they ain't even in the big leagues....crikey Pete you need to get out of Kilysth a little more....heaps of groovy houses of beer around Melbourne....maybe if you had a smart phone there's even an app for it....

365 (142/70/147/10/193/105/63/211/305/471/635) days and counting...
Sir Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
Zuckerbaron
Cruiser

Voila, let the show begin!!!

After the teaser story now comes more to see and read.

I'm looking forward.