The Long-White-Cloud Spectacular__NZ South Island 2012

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I have GMaps of the first 5 days, but everything is in my Hema Motorcycle Atlas.

One of yours, mate...whow....just bloody WHOWWW :lao:lao

NZ_SI_2012_0728.JPG

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
One of yours, mate...whow....just bloody WHOWWW :lao:lao

NZ_SI_2012_0728.JPG

:gday:

On the ride back to Te Anau from Milford Sound. The cold start was worth it for the sunny day we had. I sent my Mum a postcard of Mitre Peak to show her kind of what it looked like for us - when she'd been in the 70s it was covered in cloud.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Re: post #177 in this thread

Chanced a Youtube vid which shows the recovery of that loco in the first pic below.
It now is part of the "entrance" to the Mandeville De Havilland Aircraft Resto Workshops.

They pulled this old steamer out of a riverbed after 93years of being covered in mud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8pLzhjJY1s

Promising, promising...

NZ_SI_2012_0628.JPG

Barely 20k’s north-west of Gore is Mandeville, home of the De Havilland Aircraft Restoration Works and Croydon Air Services.

A world-renowned facility catering for anything De Havilland...and nowadays also restoring all sorts of things, from ornate mantle-pieces to a steam-loco that was buried for decades in the silt and sand of a nearby riverbed, unknown to even exist.
wot.gif

THIS is THE MAN-CAVE to beat ‘em all...PERIOD!!

This is a place where blokes drown in their own drool...
forget family, food and beer until they’re wasted ghosts and even then they don’t care....if you know what it means getting lost in a toolshop everytime you walk through the doors, you have just found the place you want to spent the rest of your life and die peacefully afterwards...40 virgins in paradise are a piss- poor excuse for what’s on offer here.
slobber.gif
slobber.gif

How about a little taste??

That's the one those guys here dug out of the riverbed and restored after the locals pushed it off the tracks when the branchline closed...
Yes, this huffer-puffer is a goer!

NZ_SI_2012_0630.JPG

So is The Moth...

NZ_SI_2012_0631.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0632.JPG

post #177 this thread

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Wow, can you believe that this ride was a decade ago. 10 years ago today we embarked on this New Zealand Extravaganza !!

View attachment 1013

That's was one hell of a fortnight, aye
:smilie-wave:

Glad we did all the stuff we did, the Earnslaw doesn't take bikes anymore. :-(
How good was it to have Bernards little XT on the passenger deck, just up from the piano!!

The new boat docking at Mt. Nicholas Station only takes 2-3 bikes at a time...I've also heard of a "punt" service taking bikes, no real idea from where to where, though. (rumours: Wye Creek-> Mt. Nicholas ?)

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Ill just leave this here.....
View attachment 1017

pffft, boooooring :bs

Leave the boat research for later, things might change again.
But the Earnslow ride was something special, there is no real replacement for that sort of thing.

Like the De Havilland historic aircraft workshop in Mandeville (north of Gore).
None of the group will ever forget just walking into a huge restoration workshop with guys assembling star-engines, a Russian migrant hand-dengling valanced guards from sheet-alum, an old guy hand-shaping wing-spars with a banana-shaped hand-plane, a lady labouring over a huge vat of bubbling goo soaking cloth used for wing-covering.
What a place!!

Years later things were a bit more formal but still able to walk the factory/ workshops at will and having a chat with everyone.
I doubt it'll be the same nowadays though.

Top Bottom