Slow Road down the Murray

MooN

Tour Pro
Cool!
I love rivers & boats and stuff, (It's also my job) combining them with biking is a favorite pastime of mine. I'm reading this sat on the train to Paris on my way to the boat show to flog some more boats, It's-8°c outside nearly 9oclock and the sun is just rising...
I would SO much rather be riding along the Murray...
Thanks for the pics.

twowheeler

two wheels are best
I love rivers & boats and stuff, (It's also my job) combining them with biking is a favorite pastime of mine. I'm reading this sat on the train to Paris on my way to the boat show to flog some more boats,

Boats ? A passion of mine (at least unpowered ones) after years sailing off-the-beach dinghies, which was one of the appeals of this trip.
I stumbled over that little marina off the Seine in Paris a few years ago, which was a nice surprise. You make them ?

Last edited:

MooN

Tour Pro
Boats ? A passion of mine (at least unpowered ones) after years sailing off-the-beach dinghies, which was one of the appeals of this trip.
I stumbled over that little marina off the Seine in Paris a few years ago, which was a nice surprise. You make them ?

No I don't build them myself, I run a hirebase & repair yard. I also act as agent for Linssen Yachts, hence my presence on their stand at the Paris show.

Canary

Long Timer
What a great ride report. :thumbs:

I would love to do a similar trip myself. Maybe my next solo camping trip for a week or so, if I can ditch V Twin again. :wink:

dougman1

Part of the furniture
Lovely ride report there Doonap. Top stuff indeed. :clap:
After our recent Euro trip I too have a recurring nightmare regarding BMW tank bags. Ayhow, should you wish to cerimoniously send it to a better place, please invite me. I'll supply the fuel! :killingme:killingme

dougman1

Part of the furniture
Sounds like there is a story there ? ......

Yes there is reason behind my post.
The rear latch came away, the stitching just evaporated, leaving the bag to flop around unsecured. With the size of the bag, and the amount you tend to stuff in them, makes for some interesting cornering manouvere's when it flops to one side and rests on your throttle/ front brake arm.
Taking it back to the hire mob, and it was oh yeah, these things break all the time. ie, crap product.
So when we having the bonfire..?:devil:

goodie

Wonderful report! Thank-you for taking us along on your journey, Peter! :thumbs:

I was taken by your grandfather's story and had to goggle a little bit. I fell over this newspaper clip. Don't know, if you have read it yet?

http://www.standard.net.au/story/19...ses-prospect-of-demolition-by-neglect/?cs=383

A DIRE warning that Warrnambool’s iconic Fletcher Jones site is at risk of demolition by neglect has struck a chord with city councillors, who have called for a review of onerous heritage protection.

The Warrnambool Planning and Heritage Group cautioned that the iconic Raglan Parade site could end up like the saga of the former 94 Merri Street cottage, which was demolished after progressively falling into disrepair during a 10-year battle over conservation.
See your ad here

An in-depth report released by the group in July last year and tabled at Monday night’s council meeting calls for more regular evaluations of the site and for Heritage Victoria to improve communication.

Renewed protection of the silver ball water tower and a focus on the former factory’s social significance were seen as priorities.

"“The ball is symbolic and my fear is it will go the way of the Criterion Hotel through neglect.”"

Since the privately-owned site was listed by Heritage Victoria in 2006 as having state and national significance the buildings have deteriorated. They are riddled with asbestos, roofs are leaking and walls have been vandalised.

It has been listed for sale for several years, but buyers are reluctant to take it on.

The report compiled by Julie Eagles and Kerri Worland warns the Fletcher Jones site is falling further towards possible demolition by neglect.

They recommended the council and state heritage body reconsider the site’s condition, integrity and what remains of the most significant aspects.

“We would like to see the council and Heritage Victoria take a proactive role with the owner (present or future) to find a solution for renewal of this site and a way to share the stories attached to its history,” they said.

The report calls for funding for a structural assessment of the ball to determine repairs to ensure it remains standing for another 50 years.

Cr Jacinta Ermacora told Monday night’s council meeting it was a difficult site to manage.

She said heritage protection needed to be flexible enough to encourage a business to use the site.

“Fletcher Jones was part of the lives of a huge number of Warrnambool families,” Cr Ermacora said.

“It’s a pity the social story is not told and kept as part of the heritage.

“The ball is symbolic and my fear is it will go the way of the Criterion Hotel through neglect.”

Cr Ermacora criticised Heritage Victoria for not attending the local planning group’s report launch and called for more regular visits by the state body.

Cr Rob Askew said it was important to get Heritage Victoria to understand its policy should not have a blanket overlay like on the Fletcher Jones site.

“Some elements should be preserved, others are beyond repair and should be demolished,” he said.

“It would make it easier to redevelop the site if buyers knew what they could demolish.”

Cr Kylie Gaston said the site should be maintained.

The planning and heritage group’s report said lessons that could be learnt from the Merri Street saga to prevent a similar result for the Fletcher Jones site.

After numerous battles between the owner, city council and Heritage Victoria the crumbling 1840s Merri Street cottage was demolished last year to make way for a modern house.

“We wanted to see what could be learnt because we see other state heritage sites falling into disrepair in our local area (most notably the Fletcher Jones factory, water tower and gardens),” the Eagles-Worland report said.

“In the case of private ownership of state-registered places, the owner is expected to look after something that is deemed of significance to the state.

“Neither Warrnambool City Council nor Heritage Victoria were effective communicators regarding the historical and architectural values of the house.

“The owner, Warrnambool City Council and Heritage Victoria all invested significant amounts of money and time over 10 years and in the end we have to ask — what was the point of it all?”

Heritage Victoria officers inspected the FJs site in May with city council and the planning group representatives and identified a staircase, sign and guttering at risk of collapse.

Subsequently the owner, Ian Ballis of Geelong, was ordered to rectify the problems.

The site will be inspected annually by heritage experts.

twowheeler

two wheels are best
I fell over this newspaper clip. Don't know, if you have read it yet?
Goodie, I hadn't read that one but it's been a contentious issue for years. Fletcher Jones (FJ's) was profitable for a long time, making trousers, dresses, suits. They employed a lot of local people. They went bust in the 90s (from memory) from a combination of overseas competition, FJ's products not moving with the times, and FJ himself no longer being around. He was a good business operator and earned very strong employee loyalty - apparently he knew every worker by name. The gardens out the front were an absolute showpiece and the whole place was impeccably kept. All of this engendered a huge amount of pride from the community, which might be why its fate is such a vexed and popular topic. Unfortunately the factory was originally built from army-surplus huts, then added to, so it was never going to last hundreds of years. And the ball looks very dodgy now (hopefully it's empty) :eek:.

Top Bottom