RIP Marco # 58
Staff member
and the after photo....

craigshut.jpg

nev

Super Térrarist
loz said:
That's a bit bloody tragic.

but surely they'll just build it again (whoever they are). Hard to imagine a log hut surviving 100 years in the middle of bushfire country, unprotected.

jo

I'm a wimp!
Considering that the hut was built for a movie not sure what the sentimental feeling is for? If the hut was originally built by settlers I can understand but not for a movie.

Ps - I did like the movie :D

farawayman

Long Timer
It was originally built for the movie and as the move was shot from one direction so the hut was only one-sided, and it soon fell into disrepair. No self respecting mountain cattleman would build his hut out on an exposed ridge like that but it did add to the view. There was an old hut over the next saddle, now long gone.

The Mansfield and CFA 4WD clubs got together a couple of years later and rebuilt the hut made it a bit more presentable, built the fence around it to keep the cattle and vermin out (include some 4WDers and motorcyclists in that), and even extended it over time. So I suppose if they now want to burn it down they can.

As you can see from Marty’s photos it is one of Australia’s spectacular views. It is a one special place when you have it to yourself, the sun casting the last of its warm glow over the hut, the moon rising over the Indian Head behind it (Mt Cobbler) and with the mist creeping up the valleys makes it to me, a very sentimental place. Even if the cold is driving you back to your tent.
IMG_2326.jpg

loz

Getting the hang of it
Dunno Nev, it's not the history or whatever I'm sentimental about, it's just that I had plans to go fire a dirt bike up that way sometime and it seemed a real pretty place to stop.

Top Bottom