NZ Debrief_Goughs Bay Weekender

John_Johnny

Long Timer

And we're off!

With all my attention focused on the rain, I forgot petrol so quick stop at Swanpool for a fill. This is the Swanpool multiplex cinema. The Gold Class seats are best.

Mansfield is down there under the fog somewhere.

John_Johnny

Long Timer
Re: Sweet As, Bro!!...The Debrief... 4.+5.June, Goughs Bay Weekender

The Produce Store in Mansfield. Didn't try the sausage rolls because I'm just not hungry yet.

The luxurious accommodation. Miners cabin number 2.

Damn!!!!

I bloody checked that before I went inside. It seemed stable on the hard pebbles. While I was taking a photo of the room I heard a crash! Shoulda put a squashed can under it. Coulda woulda shouda. :looney::bang:

stevegt738

Tour Pro

DOH!!!!

Did you have to hire a crane to lift it?

John_Johnny

Long Timer

^We walked 2km in the rain to Tominos Pizza at the caravan park.^

^Looking out from the caravan park.^ Tominos on the right, Willo and Helen's cabin on the left.

^Nice bbq area on the point.^

^In the distance to the right is the Goughs Bay Boat Club.^
There are signs all around town saying it's open on Saturdays for drinks and bistro meals from 5pm. Glitch took us for a drive there in the CAR. (The shame!) :oops:
There was a one way dirt road that wound around past the club then hairpinned back under the club. It was weird driving through all the tables and chairs. No sign of life though.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

While we were waiting for all the woosies in cages to arrive, we discovered the steady rain had bought the magic mushrooms out of hibernation. They are a beautiful sight but I suspect behind the enchanting beauty lies a painful death. These are something to be admired without falling for their enticing charm.

Sorry guys, but this is as far as you go. What happened behind that door stays behind that door.
Suffice it to say...Johnny is learning to fill Dad's boots.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

Thanks all for showing up, the belly's still hurting from all the laughs.
And while the Eildon-Jamieson Road is a hell of a lot more fun on a bike, the clinking of the vino-bottles in the rear somewhat slowed the progress of the last hooray of the Korean Ferrari on its final-trip-outta-town.

Glad to have swapped for the cage, the Saturday in particular was a never-ending dark curtain of rain changing to drizzle changing to rain etc.
No pics from this corner... but there was a nice, little stretch of mixed tar+gravel here
https://goo.gl/maps/8yFmx64XYKA2
with the Monkey Gully Road still needing to get checked out for yet another option.

Another farewell to Tim...and hopefully Teflon-Rog will be back on wheels soon after his spill on Friday, heal quick mate :chug:

John_Johnny

Long Timer

Panoramic shot looking out from Bayside Boulevard. There is actually only one walking track but the pano shot makes it look like two. We followed this track from the general store to the bbq area on the point.

^See the kangas?^

Once upon a time there was water here. Tom and Pete from the caravan park told us the lake was now at 35 per cent capacity. They bemoaned the state government for draining it into the Waranga Basin then selling it further on. Don't know if it's true. Don't know the facts. Nevertheless it made me feel upset. Imagine people making a tree change and pouring their life savings into a property here.

John_Johnny

Long Timer

The Goughs Bay caravan park has some beautiful annexes that may well be described as works of art. Look at the patina on that corrugated iron. Love it!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member

...Mansfield Lakeside Ski Village. Is it similarly bereft of water?

You don't even need gumboots to walk right across....or around the couple of bays to the bridge at Bonnie Doon.
No idea if there are any puddles left at Peppin Point....they've been draining this pond at a frightening rate.

Top Bottom