The Long-White-Cloud Spectacular__NZ South Island 2012

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Some pics from me.

YAYYY...the more, the merrier.

Where is the next plane to Christcurch ???? ;-))))

Not via China Air again? :bs

No such luck, I'm afraid, it's just a common old weka or woodhen - often mistaken for the kiwi as it looks similar and is also flightless.

Thanks! Should've looked closer, the beak gives it away, really.
The rest looks pretty much the same....until they get up and walk, I guess.
They've also got a different bodyshape?

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
Not via China Air again? :bs

No matter how ......
China South Airlines is very good! Newest aircraft, sufficient seating capacity,
movies, games, own monitors, good onboard service, friendly staff .:tu
Unfortunately the way via Beijing and Guangzhou takes time.

pete

Just through the door
:clap: Great write up & pics... That area top of the south Island
is my back yard... the Moleworth/Rainbow hydro road is
a 400km loop from my gate...
I see yer done the the Braeburn did you also do the Porika
goes from St Arnads to lake Rotoroa and then on to the
Braeburn..

Here's a good site for anyone planing ADV ride's
with GPS files in NZ
http://www.advroutes.org.nz/mapsi.html

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
I see yer done the the Braeburn did you also do the Porika
goes from St Arnads to lake Rotoroa and then on to the
Braeburn..

No to the Porika...were warned off that it might be too steep coming down with fully packed bikes.
Next time...at least we'll go and have a look. This time it most probably worked out to the best, anyway.

The problem really is what to expect when you don't know the area....and how it relates to other factors like weather, heat, wildlife etc as well as one's own level of riding. While the Braeburn turned out a fizzer, it might've been a bastard in the past, for some reason or another...the Porika really could've been way over our heads, or it might've proven just another track.

pete

Just through the door
No to the Porika...were warned off that it might be too steep coming down with fully packed bikes.
Next time...at least we'll go and have a look. This time it most probably worked out to the best, anyway.

The problem really is what to expect when you don't know the area....and how it relates to other factors like weather, heat, wildlife etc as well as one's own level of riding. While the Braeburn turned out a fizzer, it might've been a bastard in the past, for some reason or another...the Porika really could've been way over our heads, or it might've proven just another track.

There is one 100m section on the way down thats a bit
shalely but other than that the rest down has good brakeing..
I went over it 2 weeks ago with a group from the North Island
they were packed up for a 3 day trip.. no probs..

Pics are of the Porika

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Nothing blue up there this morning
icon_confused.gif
....but the cloud-ceiling’s still high enough for a good start.

NZ_SI_2012_0356.JPG

That looks like the mother of all Monteith Black bottles!!
clap.gif

NZ_SI_2012_0357.JPG

Uh-ohhh...Dave’s fishing in the ominous brown paper bag...on the breakfast table!!

NZ_SI_2012_0358.JPG

FOUND IT!! Groooaaannn...at least he doesn’t mind the piss-takes.

NZ_SI_2012_0359.JPG

There’s another “36er” road on the menu this morning...the Maruia Saddle.

First it’s up the Matakitaki Valley, a beautiful, little spot.

NZ_SI_2012_0360.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0361.JPG

Ohhh, Rob!! Not in public!!

NZ_SI_2012_0362.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0363.JPG

The cold lamb-shank must’ve had some dope in it...Tassie-Dave is up and gone... THAT WAY!!....
icon_doh_.gif

NZ_SI_2012_0364.JPG

...into a 20km dead-end, as the farmer tells us. That’s 40 return and will even take Dave a minute or 5.... that’ll cost him another round.
bs2.gif

NZ_SI_2012_0367.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0365.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Maruia Saddle, here we come.

NZ_SI_2012_0366.JPG

And it’s a magic little road!!!
glubsch.gif

NZ_SI_2012_0368.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0369.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0370.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0371.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0372.JPG

What a cracker, the bush thick and green, the riding’s easy. Easy enough to get a roadie through without too much hassle....at least at the moment.

NZ_SI_2012_0373.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0375.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0376.JPG

It’s all over way too soon....barely 20k’s of paradise just isn’t enough!!
There’s a German couple in a biiig Camper on the other end, just about to get into it, as we’re emerging into daylight again.
No guys...don’t even think about it. A little Fiesta or something, perhaps...but not this thing!

We tack south for a few minutes, then take the West Bank Rd....

NZ_SI_2012_0377.JPG

...that runs parallel to Hwy65 from Maruia south to just before Springs Junction.

NZ_SI_2012_0378.JPG

There isn’t really much choice from here....with the weatherfront supposedly coming up from the south, we’ll run right into it, regardless if we take the eastern route via Lewis Pass and Hanmer or western option via Greymouth and Arthurs Pass. Perhaps it’s better to be bold and head straight for the Westcoast, then hide behind the coastal range for a run into the Southern Canterbury Plains.

West wins....and Hwy7 into Reefton only brings some heavy drizzle for the 15 minutes through the saddle.

NZ_SI_2012_0379.JPG

The Pub and Roadhouse at Totara Flat prove a weird and whacky enough place for lunch....but I’ll NEVER forget that totally disgusting “hot beef roll with gravy”, if it wouldn’t have been for the slowly clearing skies, the mood was dark enough to set the pub on fire. I even envied Dave his remains of the doggy-bag!!
2thumbs_up.gif

NZ_SI_2012_0380.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Yup...Tatora Flat houses some of the prize-winning arm wrestling crews in the country who regularly train at the pub here.
icon_doh_.gif

NZ_SI_2012_0381.JPG

Looks like an old station building

NZ_SI_2012_0382.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0382a.JPG

Someone’s got it right!!

NZ_SI_2012_0383.JPG

No wonder they've got a lock on that!

NZ_SI_2012_0384.JPG

Back on the hwy, heading south towards Greymouth....and heading back into the muck.

NZ_SI_2012_0385.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0386.JPG

We turn off at Ngahere... Nelson Creek Road proves to be sealed for the first part of a shortcut around Lake Brunner and onto Route 73, Arthurs Pass.
If it wouldn’t be for the fine, heavy drizzle clogging up the visors, Bells Hill Rd. would be even faster, the dirt is as smooth as tarseal and the views should be nice, too, on a clear day.

Surprisingly the rain stops,...

NZ_SI_2012_0388.JPG

...the road dries out within a couple of kilometers...

NZ_SI_2012_0387.JPG

...and it’s a ripper of a run into Arthurs Pass, the township. Some twisties, some campers and other vehicles to chase down and overtake....and in the end the sun even pokes through, yeeha!
clap.gif

Time to thaw out those frozen fingers...

NZ_SI_2012_0389.JPG

Cutting east through the High Country

NZ_SI_2012_0390.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0391.JPG

Into the low-hanging muck again at Lake Lyndon.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
The Lyndon Road doglegs south to Lake Coleridge and on to Methven and Hwy77, the Scenic Hwy (aka Christchurch Bypass or Canterbury Plains backroad).

NZ_SI_2012_0392.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0393.JPG

It sure isn’t a road to go out of your way to get to...but it’s a nice, handy connector linking the Plains with Arthurs Pass in a different, low traffic way compared to the usual main routes.

NZ_SI_2012_0394.JPG

The rain buckets down at Rakaia Gorge, the “Scenic Hwy” is becoming a waterfall....and the little XT finally runs dry despite all hope to get it into Methven for a much needed dollop of 91octane.

Luckily Jo and the BMW are around...and the jiggler-hose!!...and things are rolling again 15 mins later.
The rain stops dead just at the outskirts of town...and while the search-party is out looking for a stay for a bunch of soaked riders, some local comes walking down the footpath, pushing an apparently dead “Lifan200” along.
While we listen to the story...

NZ_SI_2012_0397.JPG

.... the laughs are never far away...

NZ_SI_2012_0398.JPG

...but we can’t really help with the limited tools we’ve got. It’s electrical and it sounds like a buggered stator...but who knows. It’s one of those Chinese things and the engine looks like a copy of a 200 Yammie Ag-bike from the outside.
At least she’s a local and just lives around the corner.

Dave and Nev come up with the Koromiko Lodge and, apart from the landlady, we’ve got the place to ourselves.

NZ_SI_2012_0401.JPG

Thankfully they’re geared for the Mt. Hutt skiers in winter and even offer a drying-cabinet for most of our soaked gear...and there’s sure plenty of that!

NZ_SI_2012_0402.JPG

Dave...waterproofing the jacket with, what else, but duct tape.

Trust me, I’ve done this before!!

NZ_SI_2012_0400.JPG

NZ_SI_2012_0399.JPG

The local Café has a sad story to tell...there isn't much business going around, as is.

NZ_SI_2012_0403.JPG

Another BIG ONE tomorrow....the Haka Pass (Hakataramea Pass)...let’s hope, the weather comes good!!
Cause if it does, there’s a whole bag full of pearlers coming up.

The Mackenzie Pass, the Haka and the little known, Meyers Pass.

Then find a spot to stay somewhere, then the Danseys Pass the day after and then we’re in the general southern area which holds another bagfull of goodies.... yeah, let the sun shine!!
icon_party_.gif

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
There is one 100m section on the way down thats a bit
shalely but other than that the rest down has good brakeing..
I went over it 2 weeks ago with a group from the North Island
they were packed up for a 3 day trip.. no probs..

Pics are of the Porika

Doesn't look too bad...but pics can be deceptive.
Was that EddieB and the mob?
Man, it's a small world....or did he put you up to sign in here?
:thumbs:

ok ok....just found you on KB + XT660R
Whoohoo...sticking a chair on an XT....got a pic around of one of the locals here having done it with on old XT (500/550?)

Top Bottom