glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Default Re: EuroFest 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hytram View Post
Day 4 (Thurs)

Oh that was a big day... ]

That snow up top looks just magic!
And following that map, it sure was a big day. It's pretty much all slow and technical....and that's before the traffic!
Old 01-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #22
glitch
Mapping the next ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hytram View Post
Day 5 (Fri)

something I still cant comprehend, the group wanted a rest day.. I wanted to ride, so I did.

It's simply amazing over here..

GPX for the day
www.martyh.com/eurofest/Eurofest19 05 Fri 294km.gpx

...and the pics tell the story!

Weather like that...and a rest day? You must've worn 'em out the day before on the Stelvio.
Then again, it wasn't a fair contest, you'd been there before and knew what to expect.
For a first-timer this is all pretty overwhelming.

Nice to see some fresh pics of 2 of my all-time favourites, the Rolle ( for that peak in the background) and, of course, the Manghen

Quite a day, too, going by the map.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #23
Hytram
<-- now went that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
Absolutely slobbering over those pics!!
yeah, it gets like that..

decided not to take a real camera, got offered to borrow a very, VERY nice lens for my Olympus 4/3rds and decided against it because I just knew that I wouldn't have the time to post process them when I got back like I use to do..

so all these are from the phone and no post processing except a batch resize, all raw from the camera so to speak

must say these phones make it easy to take a panorama, just push a button and pan and see the result, not happy repeat, last time I was there it was take 11 photos, hope for the best, come home and stitch!!

Quote:
I'd call it incredible luck to have had that snow-dusting up high early in your stay....to revel in those magic vistas with snowy mountains and blue skies while running on dry, clear roads
yes, it actually turned out very well, beautiful vistas

Quote:
You lucky Basterd!

Quote:
As for the Kuehtai? 2009 was a decade ago, but you've done it before
Day 1 (onroad) of the T_2 :-)

I forgot all about it, but the horse pics bought it back!..

so much of T2 is a blur

here is the GPX for that Day in T2
www.martyh.com/eurofest/SEP-21-09 070131 PM.gpx

Last edited by Hytram; 05-10-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Hytram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #24
Hytram
<-- now went that way

Quote:

That snow up top looks just magic!
And following that map, it sure was a big day. It's pretty much all slow and technical....and that's before the traffic!
Quote:
...and the pics tell the story!

Weather like that...and a rest day? You must've worn 'em out the day before on the Stelvio.
Then again, it wasn't a fair contest, you'd been there before and knew what to expect.
For a first-timer this is all pretty overwhelming.
to be honest, I really read the group wrong, although I had ridden with them for a few laps of Tassie I had never led them and I might have projected my level of touring on them which is "Ride like its your last day ever, fall asleep face first into your dinner, wake up in the morning and repeat"

they were a 150km/day/alp crew and realistically a nice tottle through Tuscany probably would have suited the group more, I really had to tame the days down for the last few

they are very talented and quick riders, they just do touring differently and each to their own.

Quote:
Nice to see some fresh pics of 2 of my all-time favourites, the Rolle ( for that peak in the background) and, of course, the Manghen

Quite a day, too, going by the map.
the Rolle was superb and the Manghen has been totally resurfaced, still narrow but like a go-kart track, and It was being used for one of the stages in the rally from a few posts back. I had no idea that we had done it in T2, but when I saw this place it came back

I don't know if there was a massive storm that went through the area but there was trees down everywhere and massive logging exercise to remove them

I'm really glad I had the opportunity to do a day like that, I was knacked at the end though,
Old 05-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #25
Hytram
<-- now went that way

Day 7 (sun)

In many years of riding there have been many days that would rate as incredible, today is one of them..

The day had everything.

Up the Passo della Mendola which is basically a race track to the sky..

Then along some back roads that were basically race tracks with amazing views..

The down towards the Adige Valley which was a bit like a very downhill pit lane entry with amazing views

Then in the Adige Valley... Meh.

The up the other side which was basically brilliant with views.

Lunch was at this great gasthof that doubled as a farm... With great views and lots of wood... And basically a race track out the front

Then came the descent down... OMG. It ran down next to the steepest roads in the Alps, but the ones that we went down actually spiralled around inside tunnels and once outside the tunnels.. Wow, the views over Bolzano, the airport was in the distance and it was like coming into approach, you were that hight up!..

Up the Talvera valley which basically like the Jurassic Park ride with a tunnel that opens up to a 100mt section of amazing caverns... Repeat 10 times.

Turned up the road back to Collalbo which is basically and uphill roller coaster, with cows and views.

Amazing day

GPX for the Day
www.martyh.com/eurofest/Eurofest19 07 Sun 172km.gpx

My replacement vehicle turned up!

you know you have studied the maps way to much when you can look at this a pick out all the roads you have done!

sometimes you must stop to smell the roses

the camera just didn't do the view justice!!