BMW G310GS Quick-Fling

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Planned as a little tootle through the local backblocks while checking out the just-released BMW 310 Baby-GS, it all turned into a bit of a frazzled affair with bumper-to-bumper traffic into Ringwood to check out some ADV-jackets, some photo-shoot out the back of Warrandyte, a superb lunch at Dixons Creek...and an "ALL-HEART" Willo already audible on the carpark outside :killingme:so

First things first....a BIG thanks to Doncaster BMW for letting us have their hotly-contested demo 310 for an hour and a half!!
As for the little Beemer, I'll call things as I stumbled across them:

Not exactly a powerhouse, the little 310 purrs along just fine. Clutch adjustment was out by a mile, no free-play at all, fixed at the red lights along the way.
Weight sits low....and if the ergonomics wouldn't be as superb as what they are for a 6-footer, it still would be a "big" bike frame+feel wise.
She's got a solid footprint, stable cornering with the 19" front.... and rather feels like a well-sized 500, happy to hit the twisties. Not generous, but well-sized.

With a COMFY seat!! Which is at a bit of a lofty height, though....for a 300, that is.
180mm boingers at each end are plush+firm at the same time...NICE! The 290mm ground clearance under the gut are also neat, considering the comfy ergonomics.
The bars are waaaayyy too low to be anywhere near dirt-usable, as are the narrow pegs.

Bars way too low, instrument cluster shows all from speed to gear-indicator, clock, tripmeter and the rest of the play-stuff.
Fuel is 11 liters incl. 1 liter reserve, which should be good for a 300+km range with an additional 40km or so to creep to safety.

G310GS_005.JPG

G310GS_001.JPG

G310GS_002.JPG

"Bashplate" is an icecream-bucket bolted to the sump....anything more substantial will also need some bracing/ subframe, which also goes for crashbars of any sort.
Crashbars would add quite a bit of weight as they have to be big/ wide enough to cover the width of the full-sized (650-1000cc) tank-area...hmmmmm

G310GS_003.JPG

The little 313cc jug is reversed, so the header pipe faces backwards and is shorter as a result....neat!
They should've gone the extra mile and feed the header between the subframe and pillion-peg mounts, halving the header-length and bringing the can up to "Scrambler"-height!!
Nobody will ever seriously use the tiny pillion perch.

G310GS_004.JPG

OEM-screen is just cosmetic...easy to replace with something more suitable once the bars/ risers are sorted out (note: there's plenty of extra length available in wiring+cables to accommodate bar-risers!)

G310GS_006.JPG

Monstrous rear rack screws up the rear-end

G310GS_007.JPG

Comfy!!

G310GS_008.JPG

Feels like a 500+

G310GS_009.JPG

1. gear is loooong.....I'd start playing with sprocket-gearing right away, if taking this thing into half-serious dirt/ gravel.

G310GS_010.JPG

A vibe-free 300cc mill makes life easy....and there's enough poke to keep things moving.
Happy-speed is around 80-90kmh....in 4th/5th/6th, your pick.

G310GS_011.JPG

I can certainly see an easy life on this little jigger...add some Mitas E07s and she'll go anywhere soft-roadish.

G310GS_012.JPG

G310GS_013.JPG

Again, a big thanks to Doncaster BMW for the opportunity to check out the baby- GS....and I'm looking forward to
spending 3 weeks on the midget in the Balkans next year !!

G310GS_014.JPG

As always, the Dixons Creek Cafe pulled out all stops to serve up an exceptional lunch, friendly service and a big fan to keep the boiling midday-sun under control.

G310GS_015.JPG

Nev+Jo joined in as well as Helen and Willo in his new " ALL Heart!" colours :whistle: :bs
New City of Whittlesea work-clobber, mate?? :doh::whistle::killingme

G310GS_016.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
so when do you take delivery......W-)

You after another well-preserved KLR? :killingme:killingme

Goodie decided to tack on another year on the Klacka if I fix that clutch-cable :whistle:...we'll also have to check out the 300 Versys she had a sit on at Stevos, gotta find a test-ride somewhere.
(too much plastic shyte and a 300-twin is a semi-turbo-Swiss-watch-toy in my eyes....)

She liked the 310...but I'm still oogling an XT250, too :whistle:

Crap!!....too many choices!

Sir Francis

Displaced person
Brilliant thing with these baby BMW, X300 Versys, CB500 Hondas, KTM 390 is that in 2-3 years there'll be a gazillion of them for sale low km for peanuts....:thumbs:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Brilliant thing with these baby BMW, X300 Versys, CB500 Hondas, KTM 390 is that in 2-3 years there'll be a gazillion of them for sale low km for peanuts....:thumbs:

Let's bloody hope so!
At the same price o/r as a KLR/ DR at least the little Bimm gives you something more than a brick to plant your bum on.
Oh...your's come back from the Dead yet after NZ? :killingme

LAMs approved bikes from what I can see hold their value proportionally more than larger capacity bikes. There seems to be a better market for resale at that end of the price scale.

What size are the bars 7/8”?

BTW: SW Motech already have a stack of stack of stuff for the other 310 including pegs, crash bars, racks and pannier brackets. I'm sure the GS products won't be far away.
http://shop.sw-motech.com/en/by+motorbike+or+scooter/BMW/G+310+R/index.htm

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
LAMs approved bikes from what I can see hold their value proportionally more than larger capacity bikes. There seems to be a better market for resale at that end of the price scale.

What size are the bars 7/8”?

BTW: SW Motech already have a stack of stack of stuff for the other 310 including pegs, crash bars, racks and pannier brackets. I'm sure the GS products won't be far away.
http://shop.sw-motech.com/en/by+motorbike+or+scooter/BMW/G+310+R/index.htm

Yeah, stock 7/8" bars.
That crashbar might also fit the GS...there's just nothing to bolt-stuff-to around the front-end.
The rear rack on the GS is a whopper!...but gives enough usable mounting points to fab up some soft-luggage frames combined with a luggage-plate area.

R+GS got different tail-mounts/ layouts.

We can't get over how comfy this thing is...the centre-hump of the seat locks you in, but is easy enough to get rid of by anyone with basic upholstery skills.

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Ya cuda remove my pic before you posted a link on ADV. Because I ride a roadie, some on there already think I'm a nancy, now they'll be convinced.

Top Bottom