Tornanti_2...Three Weeks Of Carve Till Ya Barf!!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
It’s all a bit run-down, but clean!

The door-handle falls off the bathroom door just looking at it, the floorboards creak in protest to every step, the Hot Water Service doesn’t work…until we plug it in….when it shortens the circuit breaker immediately.
How's a turned-over milk bottle for a bedside lamp? :so

T2_0432.jpg

All up, it’s just GREAT!!

The whooses of the crew chicken out on the cold shower while granny and her granny-neighbour show up with sheets and towels, shushing us out of the way at the attempt to help.

Into town for a peek and Happy Hour then….

”Back by 7.30 for dinner, you lot!!”

Yeah, got that…in ANY language.

T2_0435.jpg

T2_0436.jpg

T2_0434a.jpg

T2_0434b.jpg

Holding the marble slabs of the chapel in place..

T2_0434c.jpg

What a pretty little spot this is!!
2thumbs_up.gif
2thumbs_up.gif

The 2 oldies are chopping and clanging away in the kitchen, the meal is FRESH and cooking just then…the spaghetti-entrée is just about a meal on its own and there’s bread ‘n butter, a bottle of each red+white (clean-skins….totally clean that is….bottled quite possibly by the family or friends), aqua minerale….they’ve gone all out!!

Then comes veal and salads for mains…it’s a feast. The little “dining-room” rather looks like the family-lounge….

We help clearing the table amongst much lament and gesticulations…and grins…., then back into town again, where Marty works some magic.

T2_0437.jpg

T2_0438.jpg

T2_0439.jpg

T2_0440.jpg

T2_0441.jpg

Paularo?? SHIT HOT, man !!
slobber.gif

The Slovenian Border Ridge Road? Totally bloody awesome!!

Cason di Lanza? OMG
glubsch.gif
glubsch.gif

I’m still shakin’ a little bit at the thought of those rubble chutes….and the descent…and that wrought-iron handrail sticking into the lane at hip-level in that right-hander onto the little bridge, missed it with the helmet by an inch and didn’t even see it until it was in my face.
eek.gif
eek.gif

What an unbelievable stretch of road….what an unbelievable day.
wot.gif
wot.gif

Granny….YOU’RE A CHAMP!!
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Suprisingly I heard glitch scream at me from about 20 meters back, not bad considering we were both riding at the time, with full face helmets on.. Who needs a horm :bs:bs:bs

Mate.....without the helmet on my noggin would've popped like a ripe tomato when I saw you riding towards that tunnel entrance on the wrong side of the road. :bs
All good...the scream was loud enough :thumbs::thumbs:

Another day up...and this one's a cracker!!

asphalt

Tassie...where tyres are flat and nights are long
A wall of Italian comes back, shaking head; flying arms pointing everywhere….my head’s spinning trying to follow those seemingly pointing hands…

A mid-30s version of a mid-60s hippy appears from next door’s hairdressing shop…3 words of English…and between the 3 of us we’re finally getting somewhere.

They’re pointing back the way we came, to another bar/café.
Thanking them profusely, it’s up the road, repeating my dismal Italian….notte/camera/letti….hmmmm….granny behind the bar seems to get the drift of it, but seems to tell me something about “due camere” and “quattro letti”….2 rooms/4 beds…while pointing to the ceiling…

Everyone away leading to rome.
Even with hand and feets.

Italian Language has about 100 very different dialects .
People in this area speaking an extreme dialect.

Last edited:

omi

Getting the hang of it
Hi Pitti and Mock ! What an
other world.Hard to come back to reality. MUM<
I have to do that in my next life

loxsmith

Still riding in circles
wow great reading and pics....some of those shots of the streams where the water had that bluey/green look were just stunning :clap:

Glacier fed streams are all that beautiful colour. We were told in Canada not to drink the water or you will be spending a lot of time in the smallest room of the house!

Excellent job Pete!!! Keep it coming, I'm waiting!!

Last edited:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Glacier fed streams are all that beautiful colour. We were told in Canada not to drink the water or you will be spending a lot of time in the smallest room of the house!

Excellent job Pete!!! Keep it coming, I'm waiting!!

No probs with the water in the Alps...drank it out of the streams quite regularly, also filled the hydrapacks with that stuff.

where the pics of granny home cooking, sounded yummy :glu

Hmmmm....just scoured through the day-folder of the unsorted pics again....looks like we were busy shoveling it all in :doh::chug:

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Pink rock above Paularo….yet another good day looming.
clap.gif

Of course we had no idea what was looming ahead…

T2_0442.jpg

Some bittersweet goodbyes…granny Maria, our savior.
cuddle.gif

T2_0443.jpg

Spaghetteria…and soooo much more.
2thumbs_up.gif

T2_0444.jpg

It somehow just doesn’t feel right leaving this morning, but the road’s calling.
Ready to roll…

T2_0445.jpg

Anyone for the Cason di Lanza?
icon_whistle_.gif
That’s where we finished yesterday.
Ohhh, man….this is TEMPTING!!

T2_0446.jpg

Instead, it’s through town to fill up. No messing with those guys!!

T2_0447.jpg

One of the cute, little Vespa 3-wheelers…an APE (that’s Ahhhhpei)

T2_0448.jpg

Back into town, around the base of the church and up the narrow road across to Paluzza….heading west and up, the road climbs onto a shallow saddle, the deep-green valley and steep mountain slopes worth a dozen pics by themselves. Sadly I forget about the Castello di Valdaier
icon_redface.gif

…it certainly would’ve been worth a look. Remembered it later in the day….too late.

Only a few K’s on, we’re through Sutrio and on our way towards Comeglians…there’s the turn-off!!

T2_0449.jpg

THERE SHE IS!!
The Panoramica delle Vette!!

I’ve been reading, dreaming and breathing that road for the last 5 years. On T1 the weather was too bad to make it worthwhile going up….but it’s certainly SHOWTIME NOW!!
spoton.gif
spoton.gif

This is Assietta and Mangart league…and “Panoramica” it certainly is!!

Is it ever…

I’ll let the pics do the talking; they’ll do a better job at than any exhilarated waffling.

T2_0450.jpg

T2_0451.jpg

T2_0452.jpg

T2_0453.jpg

T2_0454.jpg

T2_0455.jpg

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
A BIG thumbs-up and wide grins from everyone….
glubsch.gif
glubsch.gif

T2_0456.jpg

Getting above the 2000m mark… the trees are stunted, then vanish altogether.

T2_0457.jpg

T2_0458.jpg

T2_0459.jpg

T2_0460.jpg

T2_0461.jpg

T2_0462.jpg

Some bigger puddles, some mud…then a rough and rocky section, all up it’s quite good riding, made lots easier when standing on the pegs.

But it’s narrow, the drops are endless and the views are more than distracting…they’re hypnotic.
slobber.gif
slobber.gif

Easy to see and feel, that in bad conditions this would turn into a nasty, hostile place very quickly.

T2_0463.jpg

T2_0464.jpg

T2_0465.jpg

T2_0466.jpg

Top Bottom