Border Run 2015

aussiestrom

Just through the door
Great pic's Nev. When I was younger I was based at Kingswood on the Great Northern Road (outside Penrith) and regularly did the run from there back home to Gawler SA. Took 14 hours to do and went across the Hay Plains in the dark following semi's at break neck speeds. The light on my old water bucket was upgraded to a 100W high beam, but was a shocker, would have loved that light bar on your Ten!
Been in contact with my old's in Gawler and their health isn't good. So looking for a run over that way again. Trouble is being 35+ years on the arthritis and sight ain't as good, so the leisurely route and a week of touring looks better. Given me inspiration to give it a go on the bike instead of the plane!
Cheers
Aussiestrom

nev

Super Térrarist
The light on my old water bucket was upgraded to a 100W high beam, but was a shocker, would have loved that light bar on your Ten!

To be honest the worst thing about the Super Tenere is it's lights. The bike runs twin 55w H7 bulbs which are both on for low beam. There is no separate high beam bulb. When the highbeam is activated, there is actually some mechanical element which moves another reflector into the light beam, which provides a little bit more light right down the middle of the road, but does nothing to improve the overall lighting up of the road. That light bar I bought fits very nicely and is very bright, but the configuration of the beams (3 spot and 1 driving) means that again, most of the light is just sailing straight down the middle of the road where it disappears into blackness. I am looking around for some additional lighting which can mount on the crashbars just to spread a bit more light down into the tabledrains on the road ahead which is where it is most useful.

Hytram

<-- now went that way
To be honest the worst thing about the Super Tenere is it's lights.

tell me about it, I found out the hard way, 6 weeks ago , nightfall on the Berrigan/Dogs Grave Rd, -1 degress, snow falling and mush...

I have a set off PIA spots that I had on the 950ADV that will go on when I find a good mounting point for them, I have the same Givi crash bars as yours, probably mount them to the front bit of those

what light bar is that.. howmuchwazit and would you recommend it?

oh yeah... nice report :)

nev

Super Térrarist
what light bar is that.. howmuchwazit and would you recommend it?

Its the 8" ONX lightbar sold by BajaDesigns. They sell it with brackets which will mount where the OEM aux Yamaha lights will mount in the same location under the headlight. About $US400 + postage. Also Yamaha must have changed their design slightly on '14 models because there wasn't enough clearance under the light with the supplied brackets to aim the light up high enough, but rather than wait for Bajadesigns to rectify this, I just took the brackets to a local metal engineering place with a lasercutter and bender and had them design me an identical bracket set, but with about 10mm extra drop so that I could get more adjustment in the angle. Its 4300 lumens, but I'm not entirely satisfied. It sends most of that light straight down the middle, whereas previously with the eurobeam HIDs I had much more coverage to the sides of the road. I'm undecided whether or not it was good value for money (esp considering the conversion rate) but good LED lights are expensive, and these are indeed good LED lights. I'm going to contact bajadesigns again and see if the optics are user changeable and maybe see if I can get a set that have more of the light spread around the place and less pointing straight down the road. That might alleviate the need for adding more lights, (although I do know someone who has a super ten with about 20,000 lumens blasting down the road at night but I'm not sure I want to get into a pissing contest with someone with that kind of disposable income).

Crustyvarmint

Back road wanderer
Nev, I have a 10" from Bajadesign, but under a different name (Stealth).
It has 10 smaller LEDs. and when I ordered it, I specified the 4 outside lights to be wide angle, and the rest to be spots, shining up the road further.

Of course it is only on when high beam is selected.

I have it mounted on the front of the sidecar.

I mainly use it when riding home from interstate on main highways and I'm not sure it was value for money, but a lot better than the standard BMW light.

Maybe you only need to put some floodlight units on the outside, if they are available in your size.

nev

Super Térrarist
Nev, I have a 10" from Bajadesign, but under a different name (Stealth).
It has 10 smaller LEDs. and when I ordered it, I specified the 4 outside lights to be wide angle, and the rest to be spots, shining up the road further.

These lights come in Spot, driving, or combo configuration. By default the combo optics are selected for the Super Terere kit. The combo appears to be 3/4 are spot beams (probably only 10° spread) and the 4th has a wider spread but It looks like maybe 30° but they all throw most of their beam forward and very little scatter to the sides. I wouldn't mind changing one or even two of the spots to a lens which would just scatter light in all directions.

Top Bottom