Alpine_Colours_2013...or ...

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Oh yes...more, more.
This is getting better and better.
The wave-rock pic....always wanted to stop there and take that shot, somehow never did. There's some good colouring from the vegetation above seeping into the rockface over the last few years, making things even more interesting.
:clap:

Tks for the shots, good stuff!

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Tallangatta Motor Inn and its owners Ward and Cathy turn out a very pleasant surprise.
2thumbs_up.gif

The place is a bit older but clean and cheerful, reasonably priced, very bike-friendly and of course, right at the heart of some outstanding bike-roads, dirt and tar alike.

Ward’s collection of Hayabusa, Honda CBX1000 (yes, the ‘80s six-pot!!
drool.gif
),
a GB500 (always an oddball but getting seriously rare nowadays) and some other selected gems makes for hours of conversation, if nothing else...

No question, the place will become a fixture for future rides. Also conveniently located for a fast Hume-Boreway approach and exit from/ to Melbourne.

Our luck holds...they're dishing up brecky for a small group who’ve stayed the night and extend the humungous hot + cold buffet to our Filthy Halfdozen in their dusty clobber and boots.

Not many will know the Lookout above town, accessed by a bumpy singlelaner through the paddocks, climbing steeply.

It’s had a major makeover recently, the pot-holed gravel carpark and rusty barbed wire fencing are gone...

alp_color13_107.JPG

alp_color13_106b.JPG

alp_color13_106c.JPG

alp_color13_108.JPG

For those who know it...Spring Creek Rd from Tallangatta Vly is nearly all sealed now, only a few k’s of dirt remaining across the saddle between the 2 valleys.

Some mighty old trees along the way to Eskdale.

alp_color13_109.JPG

alp_color13_109a.JPG

alp_color13_110.JPG

A band of fog following the Mitta River

alp_color13_111.JPG

alp_color13_112.JPG

The Trappers is in good nick at the moment...fairly bumpy and rocky on the eastern side, it smoothes out past Eskdale Spur.

alp_color13_112a.JPG

In the starting blocks....

alp_color13_112b.JPG

alp_color13_113.JPG

Mitta Valley from Trappers Track

alp_color13_114.JPG

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Ant

alp_color13_115.JPG

alp_color13_116.JPG

A quick break at the Mt. Beauty bakery...

alp_color13_117.JPG

...before some spirited scratching up to Falls, nipping up the Skilift service-road for some clouded-over, but still magnificent vistas into the Victorian Alps....Rocky Dam in the foreground.

alp_color13_118.JPG

Bogong High Plains Rd...
laola.gif
laola.gif

alp_color13_120.JPG

alp_color13_123e.JPG

alp_color13_121.JPG

Oops!! Ant takes a dive but seems to be fine apart from some new vents in his clobber and a bit of superfluous bling like mirrors and levers being re-arranged.

alp_color13_123.JPG

alp_color13_123b.JPG

alp_color13_123c.JPG

First things first: PARTY!! Ant can’t believe it!!
killingme.gif

alp_color13_123f.JPG

Then, to get the DL going again, we need to find something to hold that clutchlever and something else, rather big, to beat the crap out of it.

A burned out log with a split seems perfect for part 1, a triple brick-sized rock dug out of the road shoulder looks after part 2....and a nervous Ant holds the lever in place while a 3kg rock impacts barely an inch away from his fingers, over and over.

5 minutes of precision- bush-engineering sees the clutchlever in a usable shape, Ant keeps counting his pinkies to make sure they’re all there while slowly some colour drives out the ghostly white in his face....and we’ve got a goer. Mangled...but a goer.
spoton.gif

alp_color13_124.JPG

alp_color13_125.JPG

CamStrom

Tear along dotted line!
Talk about epic!

Pete, your server must be cooking itself with all the images. May have to tip the hat around if this keeps up.

All I need is a minimum of 4 weeks notice and I'll swing along finally.

I think it was Doonap that mentioned the kids getting older so he can ride. Mate, I feel your pain totally! Prob is, you don't want them growing up too fast. What a conundrum.

Cam

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Running the twisties past Blue Duck Inn towards Omeo, the sun starts to turn the afternoon golden!

alp_color13_126.JPG

alp_color13_127.JPG

The locals are out for some shopping....

alp_color13_128.JPG

alp_color13_129.JPG

...while the skies put on a spectacular show on the way across Mt. Hotham.

alp_color13_130.JPG

Ant back at full steam

alp_color13_132.JPG

Yet again our “banker” comes good
clap.gif
by finding a top spot in Bright at a surprisingly reasonable rate (who the hell would pitch a tent at the local Caravan Park when you can have all the amenities at the same or lesser rate....and at a guaranteed 220m walk from Bright CBD....believe the banker!!)
bs2.gif

alp_color13_132a.JPG

River-views as well!!

alp_color13_132b.JPG

alp_color13_132c.JPG

alp_color13_132d.JPG

Go and google for the place....it’s WORTH IT!!

Williamson

Part of the furniture
Great pics there boys and girls.
:clap::clap::clap:

Bloody amateurs.

I new I should've accompanied yuse on the trip. I have a full compliement of tools in the trailer, even got room for the 'gas axe' and other necessities if you guys are gunna behave this badly.
:bs:bs:bs

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Bloody amateurs.

I new I should've accompanied yuse on the trip. I have a full compliement of tools in the trailer, even got room for the 'gas axe' and other necessities if you guys are gunna behave this badly.

:bs:bs Oh, a gas axe?
YES, please!! :drool::drool:

mental note....must take spares on long trips!

Had a spare....but for the wrong model :doh::bs

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
Talk about epic!

Pete, your server must be cooking itself with all the images. May have to tip the hat around if this keeps up.

All I need is a minimum of 4 weeks notice and I'll swing along finally.

I think it was Doonap that mentioned the kids getting older so he can ride. Mate, I feel your pain totally! Prob is, you don't want them growing up too fast. What a conundrum.

Cam

It's alright, mate...the pics are coming from my own server, not the forum-server, so they are no drain on the forum-resources.
While I've got limited storage space, there's unlimited bandwidth, so it doesn't really matter how often a page full of pics is downloaded and the pics displayed (to a point, though).

Only attached pics come off the AT forum-server.

Keep an eye on Tassie next year....
http://www.austouring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4626
it'll be a cracker.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
....if you guys are gunna behave this badly.

Before I forget....I'm sure you'll remember a certain "dirt-road" exit option coming off one of those single-lane bridges on the Elliott Way at warp-speed, trying to catch an idiot on a V-Strom, right? :whistle::whistle:

Yeah, well...no more, mate, that dirt-track is now gated and locked with a steel gate made of 4"square tubing only ~10-12m in from the asphalt.:doh:
Wanted to stop and take a shot for ya...but had the Spokster up the clacker, ya know how it goes :so

Top Bottom