Getting the new DR Dirty

Indie

Getting the hang of it
Went out with a mate today to do some poking about on a track he wanted to do.

Well i have a new DR that i only brought the day before and hadn't ridden yet. i head off about 8.45am and get out there to take some pics and have a coffee while he drives out in 4wd with bike.

First few pics and at this stage you couldnt wipe the smile of my dial, the DR loves the gravel and is petty good on the wet dirt n grass. So much easier than the Wee Strom which has been here aswell.

Map link HERE

002.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

Well at this point things are all clean and track looks good, mate arrives and we head of, he is two up.

One of the many little SLIPPERY bridges

005.jpg

Some of the thousand odd water holes.

006.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

Still looking good and im still smiling.:thumbs:

011.jpg

Greasy bloody track

013.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

By this time i have realised i have way to much gear on and im not 20 anymore, i am feeling my 40 + hips.

018.jpg

019.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

No we have just come down one steep hill and you would think it must go back up, well it did.

023.jpg

This was the last pic of the trail as we spent the next hour getting the DR with it friggin road tyres up the hill, she spat me off that many times it wasnt funny and i am not the fittest so i though i was dying, one should need to suck air so hard.

The worst was when we made it to the top i had left my helmet down there :bang:, its good to have mates who will go get it for ya :chug:.

Back at the start

026.jpg

This need to have better knobs i think.

027.jpg

I can tell you that i need to do more of this as i feel totally knackered, now i have to bloody clean up.

031.jpg

034.jpg

robbieb

Tassie Daddy
Quite an adventure, mate! That is the one real problem with that sort of bike, once you get into tighter, more technical stuff, they become a handful. One of the great things though, if you have the right tyres, you can tractor up most stuff in first gear. I put on a set of Dunlop K850A for the XT, and she handled some pretty slippery tracks out the back of Lilydale, though something like a D606 would be better if you are going to do more of that stuff. You'll chew it to pieces on the tar as well, even though it is road legal.

I suspect you may have been speeding at one point or two as well...:whistle:

Dredging in Lisle:

S6300239-1.jpg

S6300240.jpg

S6300241-1.jpg

Herby

Tour Pro
That looks like serious fun!!! Makes me want a dirt bike :)

What size is your new DR? What kind of mileage do you get out of a tank?

Indie

Getting the hang of it
Hey Herby, its a 650 and i haven't run a tank empty yet, only had it 48 hrs.

glitch

Mapping the next ride...
Staff member
What kind of mileage do you get out of a tank?

Totally irrelevant....the question is: did you make it home in one piece?
Mileage depends on way too many factors...the importance is to make it out of the tricky stuff and back to a servo without having to push the bloody thing.:so

What an awesome first trip....you certainly seem to know how to get yourself into the shite, mate :bs

loxsmith

Still riding in circles
I picked up a near new 2010 DR650 (2400km) before the Hardcore Postie ride just over a week ago and today was my first chance to take it for a decent blast through the forestry. Everything from bitumen transport section to cutting new tracks around eroded sections of track covering a total of 300 odd km.
First impressions are
Stock tyres are down right dangerous on any surface
Had to crank the rear preload up to the max and it is just bearable
Standard tank range is somewhere near 210km mark
i need to find a suitable rear rack as the 5 litre jerry can floated around on the back of the seat all day

Was heaps of fun and a joy to flick around

Hope you enjoy the DR as much as I do, they are a lot of bike for the bucks

Glen

Herby

Tour Pro
oh, I just meant generally. It's totally relevant to whether a bike suits long distance riding. I have had bikes that do 110km on a tank and that's not even enough to ride from Goondiwindi towards Brisbane without detouring through Toowoomba and hoping the servo half-way is open. Same goes for some of the roads that would be fun to play on down around the New England - gotta know you can actually play without having to turn back around to get fuel before the fun stuff starts.

But I see the other thread now ... so it's all good.

Any bike will get you home whatever you throw at it so long as you ride it well and the DR is meant to get through anything - or so Suzi will have us believe.

Top Bottom